Who besides Apple has pulled its ads from Twitter? A timeline.

From Nicholas Reimann and Charlie Porterfield's "Musk Says Apple Cutting Twitter Ads—Here Are The Other Companies Rethinking Their Ties" posted Monday by Forbes:

• Nov. 28, 2022 Musk tweeted Apple “has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter,” though it’s not clear to what extent the company may have cut back (Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Forbes).
  • Nov. 14, 2022 The Balenciaga fashion house deleted its Twitter account, which had amassed just under 1 million followers, though it’s unclear if any brand advertising was suspended (Balenciaga did not respond to a Forbes request for comment).
  • Nov. 10, 2022 Chipotle is pulling down ads on Twitter until the company has a “better understanding” of the new environment on the platform, according to Bloomberg.
  • Nov. 4, 2022 United Airlines decided to suspend its ads on Twitter, according to multiple reports.
  • Nov. 4, 2022 NAACP President Derrick Johnson called for all companies to pull ads from Twitter, tweeting it is “highly destructive to our democracy for any advertiser to fund a platform that fuels hate speech, election denialism and conspiracy theories”
  • Nov. 3, 2022 The Wall Street Journal reported that General Mills, Pfizer, Audi, Volkswagen and Mondelez International Inc.—the maker of Oreos—stopped advertising on Twitter after Musk took over the company, in part due to concerns about how Twitter will moderate content.
  • Nov. 1, 2022 Advertising company Interpublic Group, whose clients include CVS and Nintendo, has reportedly recommended its clients temporarily stop buying Twitter ads.
  • Nov. 1, 2022 Havas Media—another advertising firm—is also telling clients it’s best to pause their Twitter advertising, according to the Wall Street Journal.
  • Oct. 28, 2022 Automakers Ford and General Motors told Forbes they will not be buying ad space on Twitter until they better understand the platform’s future.

My take: How long before we only see pillow ads?

1. Horace Dediu said:
    I’ve never seen a Twitter ad since I’ve used Tweetbot from the first day. I don’t actually know how ads work on Twitter. Are they injected in your feed? Are they targeted? Hope to see you all on Mastodon. @asymco@mastodon.social

November 29, 2022
    • Aaron Belich said:
      Yes and yes. Yet what’s different, ads are from an actual account, so if you don’t like the ad, you can block the account and never see the ad again. Very different than what I’ve seen Facebook push through their apps.

I have no problem with seeing ads from brands I actually support.

I’m now seeing the same type of crap scam ads for stolen concepts of Kickstarter that were the bane of Instagram, as well as an insane increase of the number of ads as I doom scroll.

I’m still seeing Apple ads despite the reports.

November 29, 2022
    • Robert Varipapa said:
      I’m surprised they still allow Tweetbot considering it blocks ads!

November 29, 2022
      • Horace Dediu said:
        When it’s gone, I’m gone. I don’t even know how to use the official Twitter app.

November 29, 2022
    • Dave Ryder said:
      Horace, I’m on Mastondon and following you there.

November 29, 2022
    • Fred Stein said:
      My prayers are answered. Yup see ya on Mastadon.

November 29, 2022
  2. Bart Yee said:
    The Daily Mail has compiled a list of 50 top advertisers who have stopped advertising on Twitter since Musk took over. Link sent to PED and below.

apple dot news/A9h-zxQ2dS1u1FGAnXq6DaQ

dailymail dot co dot uk
    /news/article-11478165/Fifty-Twitters-100-advertisers-left-platform-Elon-Musks-44B-takeover.html

November 29, 2022
  3. Robert Varipapa said:
    Musk is becoming ‘trumpian’ in his daily disparaging comments and outright lies. He was given a pass on telling fibs with Tesla owners, especially about FSD (full self driving) which has been in ‘beta’ for years, despite his promises.

With all his time spent posting tweets, one wonders how much effort he is really putting into fixing Twitter!

Presently, his cover is blown and we see him for what he is, just another malignant narcissistic billionaire playing with our lives. I especially feel sorry for all the Twitter employees who lost their jobs because of his frivolous shenanigans.

November 29, 2022
    • Lalit Jagtap said:
      Agree. Today I am happy to read on Bloomberg that Mr Cook, is going to Washington to meet GOP leaders. The best action by Team Apple to ignore recent tweets by Elon Musk.

November 29, 2022
  4. John Manning said:
    What happened to the article?

November 29, 2022