From Gurman's Power On column, mailed Sunday to Bloomberg Technology subscribers:

Q: Do you think Apple retail stores will still unionize despite the company’s pushback?
A: I think unionization will absolutely happen, but likely on a store-by-store basis. I’d imagine that this situation will follow the Starbucks or Amazon approach. A few stores will unionize over time, but we won’t see a large-scale Apple retail union across the entire country.

Q: Do you think Apple’s first mixed-reality headset will be a market success?
A: I personally don’t think Apple’s first headset will be a blockbuster if the price is $2,000 to $3,000. As costs come down over time, however, I think it will become a hot seller. Regardless, Apple knows the real money and potential success is in the AR-only glasses. The company won’t be able to get to those without the mixed-reality headset debuting first. So I don’t think Apple is looking at this headset launch as anything more than an investment in its future.

My take: The smart goggles Gurman says Apple has go through to get to smart glasses are like bicycle training wheels for the mind. Hard to see a clear path to success.

Regardless of what, when, and price, TSMC says their N3 process will be in production by this year’s end. Bet on it.

Given the weight and performance needs for headsets, it makes sense for Apple to wait until they can use that process. When and if, no one will be able to match what Apple delivers.

May 22, 2022
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Fred: I prefer to read what you say much more than what Mark Gurman puts to digital print. Anyone regularly reading Apple 3.0 is apt to be at least as informed as he is about Apple, in my view. Subscribers to Apple 3.0 also get access to our Slack group for continued and expanded conversations. I appreciate your active and frequent commentary on the blog.

May 22, 2022
  2. Steven Philips said:
    Fred: Don’t let RPL’s comments go to your head and submit your resumé to Bloomberg!

May 22, 2022
  3. Aaron Belich said:
    No one has demonstrated a set of glasses that make anything better.

And I’ve yet to imagine any combination of existing concepts, when stripped to their core are actual demanding of my time, money, and efforts to play and ultimately believe I can’t be without. Way too many trade-offs at the moment.

The closest I’ve seen is HoloLens bidirectional communication / sharing and commenting in 3D. But even then, the use case is narrow, and requires playing in a business environment dominated by MSFT.

Whatever Apple releases, it’s too soon.

May 22, 2022
    • Steven Philips said:
      “If you build it, they will come.”
      (Or if APPLE builds it they will come!)

May 22, 2022
  4. Greg Lippert said:
    There should be no rush to deliver until it is non obtrusive, stylish, reasonably priced and has clear use cases. If not, wait. Nobody is killing it in this category.

A flop is worse than not shipping.

May 23, 2022
  5. Timothy Smith said:
    I want lightweight glasses with directional microphones to augment my hearing aids, whose microphones are behind my ears.They cost $5,000. I’d pay more than $5K to hear the person I’m talking to, rather than the crowd of women screaming at the table behind me. Add in CarPlay maps and distance to the pin, and my life will be complete.

May 23, 2022