Apple plays the privacy card, with drones (video)

A simple idea, effectively presented.

My take: Creepy drone footage. Reminds me of time, many years ago, that the photo editors on the 24th floor of the old Time Life building had a well-lit view of a pair of office workers conducting an affair in a 23rd-floor window across the street. Drone views into office windows, of course, have nothing to do with the kind of privacy protection Apple is selling. But try showing that on a video screen.

See also:

1. Jerry W Doyle said:
    Tim has touted repeatedly over the years that Apple believes “privacy” is a fundamental human right. Consequently, what he is attempting diligently is to inculcate indelibly into the mindset of the viewer of these advertisements that every Apple product is designed from the ground up to protect “your” privacy and security.

Under Cook’s tenure as CEO Apple has bolstered the privacy controls available to users on Apple devices and we have seen this with the recent software iOS updates 13 and macOS updates Catalina 10. We continue to see ever increasing consumer privacy controls ushered up.

Additionally, Apple’s business model is not dependent on swooping up personal data similar to Google, Facebook, Amazon and some others whom we could name.

I read an article this morning where Apple does not allow third party developers access to the HomePod for fear of privacy abuse concerns which are being exploited by third party developers through Amazon and Google. Security Research Labs (SRL) have found extensive evidence where third party developers are exploiting Alexa and Google Home to vishing and eavesdropping. http://www.srlabs.de

I believe deeply Apple is imparting successfully this whole personal privacy and security message to the public, who does care and many who will differ to purchasing an Apple device for that very reason.

October 26, 2019
  2. Scott Davis said:
    Best Apple Ad I’ve seen in years. This really hits people in their reality button. It really draws a line between iPhone and “everybody else.”

– Dr. Scott

October 26, 2019
  3. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    The dollar lost because of Apple’s disconnecting profits from privacy boomerangs back to Apple when people think to care.

I believe enough people care.

October 26, 2019
  4. Dan Scropos said:
    When people ask me to define what Apple is and does, I tell them they’re a company that sells trust. Apple users have long trusted them to deliver products and an associated experience better than their rivals. This whole long-running software versus hardware argument completely misses the point. Apple=Trust. Period.

October 26, 2019
      Yeah, “It just works” is another form of trust. (One that I’ve found to be substantially weakened in my experience the last couple of years.)

October 26, 2019
      • John Butt said:
        I agree with the “it just works” sentiment. I have purchased Apple products since 1985.

However, I disagree with your perception of recent products, yes there has been faults, there always was, but in many, many cases, it just does work. My iPads, watch and air pods are excellent examples.
        Issues with the Mac and iPhone are not surprising, given the complexity, and in many cases issues have not affected me

October 27, 2019
          I’m most bothered by things that used to ‘just work’, but now tend to fail. Two examples: Occasional messages that don’t render in Mail.app (click to another message, come back to the original one, and it will render – so the problem isn’t with the message.) Dropped connections in iTunes streaming to multiple Airport Expresses. Also the volume for an AE is not properly remembered.

And don’t get me started on Mac OS X Server…

October 27, 2019