Apple Park: Standing desks for all, daycare by lottery?

From Tim (“sitting is the new cancer“) Cook, via Bloomberg’s David Rubenstein:

We have given all of our employees, 100%, standing desks. If you can stand for a while, then sit, and so on and so forth, it’s much better for your lifestyle.

From a friend of the blog, with news I haven’t seen elsewhere:

I know you have mentioned daycare several times and while I was touring Apple Park yesterday I asked my friend who is a part of [redacted] team about it. They are in fact going to have daycare but it will be based on a lottery system.

My take: A lottery is better than nothing, I guess. But sitting-as-cancer is a metaphor. Babies are real.

See also:

Thanks for pushing the day care issue.

It helps with diversity and inclusion for humanistic and pragmatic reasons. Due to housing costs, newer Apple employees, will have long commutes plus the expected overtime for salaried tech employees in Silicon Valley. Apple needs policies that support employees who are mothers and fathers of small children.

June 15, 2018
  2. John Konopka said:

I heard that standing was not the issue, moving is the issue. If you stand perfectly still it is no better than sitting. Probably sitting on something like a stationary bike would be good.

June 15, 2018
  3. Ken Cheng said:

Would still be nice to know what the situation was before Apple Park, for context. Did they have daycare onsite, or were 3rd-parties providing daycare services around campus? If the former, then it makes no sense not to provide similar services now; and if the latter, then you don’t want to alienate the local businesses by taking all of their customers.

June 15, 2018
    • Richard Wanderman said:

The problem is logistics. Apple Park is a campus with its own parking. It might or might not be easier to deal with day care off campus. If the day care was on campus unless it was near the parking garage, there’s another logistical issue.

I was in favor of Apple offering this service on campus because it allows them to hire a more diverse workforce, but only if offering the service could be easily integrated into dealing with the parking and logistics of going to work. If not, it might be better to keep iff off-site and just underwrite the costs.

June 15, 2018
  4. David Drinkwater said:

Not to be crass, but a sit/stand desk is cheap compared to providing day care, and there is less risk/responsibility involved in buying a piece of furniture.

From my point of view, though, having a sit/stand desk has been great. I stand most of the time that I am at my “desk” and I don’t much miss sitting, but when I want to, I can.

More importantly, I typically get to chase my tail around the office and the Fab, so I am certainly not typically “in my office” all day being still. I can sometimes close my rings (at 400 “active calories”) during a normal work day (atypical, but “normal”).

The Idle factor is not something that a simple piece of furniture can fix, though. That’s more of a “personal problem”.

June 15, 2018
  5. Atul Barry said:

It is sad to see so many businesses not paying attention to pregnancy.

With a declining birth rate, increased suicide rate, and an increase of certain maladies in younger folks (Colon CA), this issue should be handled with efficiency and haste.

And now restricting legal immigrants who’d be replacements, we’ll Make America Groan Again.

June 17, 2018