“More surprises were spoiled by this leak than any leak in Apple history.”

Apple is pissed.

From a post by Daring Fireball’s John Gruber:

The story no one seems to be talking about is how these GM builds leaked, including the build for D22, which revealed all sorts of heretofore unknown details. As best I’ve been able to ascertain, these builds were available to download by anyone, but they were obscured by long, unguessable URLs. Someone within Apple leaked the list of URLs to 9to5Mac and MacRumors. I’m nearly certain this wasn’t a mistake, but rather a deliberate malicious act by a rogue Apple employee. Whoever did this is the least popular person in Cupertino. More surprises were spoiled by this leak than any leak in Apple history.

Both stories landed Thursday night, but the scoop goes to 9to5Mac‘s Zac Hall, who hit send at 8:01 p.m. PDT, more than an hour before MacRumors‘ Juli Clover (9:18).

My take: No animals were harmed by these stories, but so much for Tim Cook doubling down on secrecy.

See also: Apple secret war on leakers.

1. Gianfranco Pedron said:

“No animals were harmed by these stories, but so much for Tim Cook doubling down on secrecy.”

Tears will be shed, if not blood.

September 10, 2017
    • Larry Fritzlan said:

The retard who released the information and the two websites that published it should be shunned.

September 12, 2017
  2. John Kirk said:

I may be unusual, but these leaks aren’t bothering me personally. I’m still very much looking forward to the Tuesday presentation, when Apple puts it all together.

September 10, 2017
  3. David Drinkwater said:

I actually do find the leaks disturbing, because I work in a closely related field. While the “what” is not nearly so closely guarded as the “how” (the deep intellectual property), we are expected not to share our company’s secrets. The fact that proposed parts for new iPhones come to light means that someone is not holding to the conditions of their employment.

September 10, 2017
  4. Richard Wanderman said:

It’s an interesting situation for those two Mac sites: they run the risk of getting on the bad side of Apple’s PR machine, but they’re wanting their ad revenue from clicks.

It doesn’t matter to me, I’ll still watch the presentation as it happens but I do think if Tim Cook is serious about shutting this kind of stuff down then he’s got to not only find out how it happened but push back on sites that spread secrets knowing that Apple won’t like it.

September 10, 2017
  5. Jonathan Mackenzie said:

The only way to truly close these gaps is to pre-announce products. There are too many seams in in the production process that can spring a leak, and it only takes one. Apple will never again be able to completely surprise anyone with a mass production item.

If they want to do a surprise, it will have to be with a completely new item that hasn’t begun large scale manufacturing, I think.

But the other reason for secrecy is to keep the competition in the dark as long as possible, and these eleventh hour leaks don’t do much harm there.

September 10, 2017
    • Jonathan Mackenzie said:

I’m embarrassed how much I missed that story. I thought a GM build was a tech spec. I haven’t been clicking on these articles because I am trying to be as spoiler free as possible. I didn’t realize this was the slide deck.

This is disgusting. I mean not Game of Thrones spoiler level, but talk about stealing all the fun.

September 10, 2017