Designers of the 10th anniversary iPhone, beware.
Was there ever a more self-important Apple product than the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh, a feature-packed, state-of-the-art, limited-edition (12,000 units) PC released in 1997 to celebrate, a year late, the company’s 20th birthday?
The iPhone will be 10 years old in 2017. Anticipating an anniversary edition, I give you nine fun facts about its ill-fated predecessor:
- Begun (as Project Pomona) under John Sculley
- Designed by Jony Ive
- Announced in January 1997
- Released in March 1997
- Gifted to Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, among others
- Reviled by Steve Jobs
- Discontinued by Steve Jobs in 1998
- Final sale price: $1,995, down from $9,000
- Available today on eBay for $4,249.99, plus shipping