Look who wishes Apple would buy Disney

"There's a blue light flashing above our stock" -- Disney executive

From TheWrap's Joe Bel Bruno on Twitter:

My take: Some choice Disney exec comments in Bel Bruno's captured text thread...

"Would we get free iPhones?" one of the executives just texted.

One of the Disney executives on the text exchange jokes "Bob Chapek may be our Liz Truss" and then "...why can't we have a Tim Cook?"

1. Daniel Epstein said:
    While Disney may be for sale I would think this is one of those fantasy ideas that Apple would be the buyer. Maybe hearing the name Apple mentioned would stimulate someone else to consider it.

November 10, 2022
  2. Neal Guttenberg said:
    Some quick thoughts here. There would be some interesting synergies like streaming and content. It would definitely be a plus for Apple’s streamers. And maybe the media properties may be helpful but that seems like a stretch to me right now. I am also not seeing how the parks would play into things at all unless you would be looking at them as giant testing grounds for new technology, like AR/VR glasses. But the government scrutiny that would come with this kind of union would be very intense which could bring greater regulation for things that would not be beneficial for Apple in the long run.

November 10, 2022
  3. I’ve wanted Apple to merge or at least collaborate more with Disney. “Jobs had always admired the creative spirit of the great Walt Disney, especially because he had nurtured a company to last for generations.” Excerpt from Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. Job’s Pixar molded the Disney billions enjoy today. There are more than 50 references to Disney in Isaacson’s book about Jobs.
    All that said, US & EU regulators would never allow the deal to go through.

November 10, 2022
  4. Daniel Epstein said:
    Disney’s Market Cap today about 160 billion.

November 10, 2022
    We know Apple never makes large acquisitions. If ever there were a first, though, then it certainly would be Disney. The fit is the epitome of perfection, I believe. I won’t elaborate since on this forum I only would be preaching to the choir.

The history between these two brother/sister companies is there and continues. Bob Iger was a prominent Apple board member for years. Steve Jobs & Bob Iger’s families were and continue to be the best of friends. Bob Iger continues today to have disproportionate influence on Disney even though he no longer is the CEO. As CEO of Disney, Bob Iger bought Steve Jobs’ company “Pixar.” That acquisition catapulted Laurene Powell-Jobs to the predominant Disney shareholder position. Ms. Powell-Jobs and Tim Cook are very close in spirit and friendship. Her extremely deep involvement in her beloved two companies would play a vital role in getting such an acquisition completed.

If Ms. Powell-Jobs is supportive of this proposed acquisition, then this goes a long ways toward making it happen; and, a little bird outside my kitchen chirps that she is interested. The culture of the two companies are close and while in the past I always am the first to say Apple doesn’t make large acquisition, I am prepared to say this possible acquisition must be taken seriously.

I always wanted to own some Disney stock, but never wade-in doing so. Today is Apple dividend pay-out day. I am contemplating using my dividends to buy Disney stock.

November 10, 2022
    • Steven Philips said:
      Jerry: I don’t see this as a perfect fit at all. The only thing that might fit is media production. But Apple already has that covered. ESPN, Disney’s back catalog, theme parks etc. just don’t belong – IMHO. But then I was never really into choirs! 🙂

November 10, 2022
    I don’t think merging the two cultures would be that difficult. They are quite similar, unlike Netflix, Tesla, et al acquisition rumors in the past.

I don’t see where such an acquisition would expand Apple’s brand that collaboration agreements wouldn’t accomplish.

It would “reunite” Pixar with Apple, although I don’t see the value in that (see comment on collaboration above). Gaining ESPN would be a regulatory nightmare, as would be streaming assets. Amusement parks is not within Apple’s wheelhouse of expertise and I think a distraction. Just how many divisions can a firm successfully manage?

Seems to me DIS is subject to uneven results of its movie production, and broader economic conditions. These will pass no matter who is CEO. I don’t think replacing Chapek is the solution to DIS woes.

November 10, 2022
  7. Lalit Jagtap said:
    My guess is DIS will be great buy if it drops around $50 stock price. The PIXAR can take control of its animations and reverse spin-off under its own brand. The amusement parks can be sold as a separate business. And the Apple can own Disney video library. Thank god Mr Cook never worked on the Wall Street. I can understand why executives at these corporations, are dreaming or looking for buyer. The USD is not free money anymore, and these executives need to protect their big pay packages with perks and bonuses.

November 10, 2022
    • Rodney Avilla said:
      “The PIXAR can take control of its animations and reverse spin-off under its own brand. The amusement parks can be sold as a separate business. And the Apple can own Disney video library.”

This is the only scenario that even begins to make sense for a merger or buyout. Disney, as it stands now, has multiple entities and requires a full time CEO. Tim Cook is efficient with his time, but there is only 24 hrs in a day.

November 10, 2022
    If you spun it off as a stand alone entity, Disney Parks would lose half its value.

I wouldn’t spin off Disney branded properties before I spun off Pixar and/or ESPN, and I wouldn’t spin those off except to lower debt.

Focus on the brand.

November 10, 2022
      I wish ESPN would ‘spin off’ my cable TV package.

November 11, 2022