Gene Munster: The Apple Car is a 'higher probability than most would expect' (video)

From "Apple's new products this fall will be subdued, says Loup's Gene Munster" which aired Thursday on CNBC:

Gene Munster, founder and managing partner at Loup Ventures, and Barton Crockett, Rosenblatt Securities senior analyst, join CNBC's 'Squawk Box' to discuss Apple's potential new product lineup.

My take: He also thinks Apple glasses are further away than most would expect.

1. CarPlay is already in most cars. A flock of existing vehicle manufacturers are already onboard the new version.. The dashboard and streaming television are no minor zones to establish a brand in many daily lives. Talk about product placement. More hours to peruse apps. I share Mister Munster’s optimism but for different reasons. 100s of WFA people are outside right now, on laptops, getting some job done. I saw them everywhere yesterday on my honey delivery run. MacBook Airs predominate and an iPhone rests nearby. Apple silicon rocks, ready to deliver AI and AR making knowledge ours anytime, anywhere. Live Text OCR feature reads anything to me, copies it and lets me gather research in libraries or anywhere. Apple is hot on the handsfree trail.
    I think Steve’s “one more thing” schtick is about to make a serious comeback this Fall.

August 18, 2022
    • Steven Philips said:
      Thomas: What manufacturers are onboard? I haven’t heard specifically of any adopting it yet. (Not questioning, I just haven’t heard.)

August 18, 2022
      • David Drinkwater said:
        “More than 600 models to choose from”

/ios/carplay/available-models/ at Apple dot com

Hope this helps.

There are also installable radios.

August 20, 2022
    Brother Gene denotes three imminent doorways (or paths) for future revenue growth for Apple: Health & Wellness, AR, and the Apple Car. I am perplexed why Gene did not acknowledge Fintech and Media since we all know that these components within the Services categories have significant potential for continued revenue growth, too.

I believe Gene is spot-on with the glasses coming later in 2023 instead of early next year. The glasses are not going to come on like game busters, but more in line with the way the Watch did when first introduced. I truly believe that it will take the 2nd and 3rd iterations before the glasses and AR begin to take off from a revenue perspective. I do believe fully, though, that AR is the future and that this is a path for growing revenue significantly.

Apple is on the threshold of exploding onto the scene for facilitating new, unique and innovative ways through the Apple Watch for measuring, monitoring, improving and incentivizing better lifestyles and healthy living. People want to live longer and more healthy lives and the health profession seeks enhanced real-time measuring devices to facilitate pro-active diagnostic intervention. This is where the Apple Watch will be the linchpin device to accomplished those goals. I believe Apple is only a few years away from getting FDA approval for some major diagnostic Apple Watch features that will explode Apple revenue in Health & Wellness with the Watch & AirPods through use of the iPhone as the measuring devices.

We know Apple is out to own the real estate inside every automobile on the roads. There is no other company that comes close to Apple in providing a safe, secured, privacy oriented, user friendly OS than Apple. Apple will own the inside of the car. As for the Apple Car, think of satisfied, loyal and devoted iPhone users. There are 1,000,000,000 of them. What percentage of that number would desire an Apple Car that provides them the driving experience of riding in an iPhone from point A to point B? Those iPhone loyalists immediately will gravitate to purchasing a premium build and high quality iCar.

The other humongous revenue area few are discussing is how Apple will upend the financial industry. That industry offer huge new paths for additional revenues to grow the company.

August 18, 2022
      the way the Watch did when first introduced

People have forgotten that the iPhone did not really take off until the iPhone 4, then went to afterburner mode with the iPhone 6.

August 18, 2022
  3. Bart Yee said:
    Apple Car Play is becoming a differentiating and almost required selling point for automakers. Why? If your vehicle or line has it, you know that prospective Apple buyer has certain needs, requirements and interests, plus is willing to spend for higher priced Apple products and is embedded in the Apple ecosystem. By the same token, that Apple purchasing power cachet can run off on your vehicles. Android Auto exclusivity is going to turn off these buyers just as they are adverse and won’t switch to Android products.

So to paraphrase “Dirty” Harry Callahan and Blake:

“Uh-uh, I know what you’re thinking, do you offer Apple CarPlay or only Android Auto? In all this Infotainment excitement, it’s hard to keep track myself. But seeing as this is Apple, the most valuable company in the world with 1.8 billion dedicated users and would blow your sales projections clean off the chart, you’ve got to ask yourself one question:

“Do I feel lucky?!?” Well, do you, suit!?”

“I gotz to know!!”

“Then sign on the line which is dotted.”

August 18, 2022
      Automakers gave away the dash when they adopted CarPlay in the first place a long time ago. There is no going back.

August 18, 2022
      • John Butt said:
        There was never going forward without a UE specialist like Apple starting up with CarPlay.
        All 3 EVs I’ve owned have very poor UE in their native implementation. Hyundai didn’t even bother with mapping, Mini has awful visualisation colours filling the screen with bright lines while updates to maps is not a thing for any, Tesla, who’s UE is best considered poor to useless even reduced the font on the speedometer to allow more room for their ludicrous traffic visualisation.

August 18, 2022
  4. Bart Yee said:
    As for timing of new Apple product areas,

“No Car or AR before it’s time.”

August 18, 2022
  5. Steven Philips said:
    “The Apple car is a higher probability than most people expect”
    I expect it’s a higher probability than an Apple TV! 🙂

August 18, 2022
    • David Drinkwater said:
      Maybe CarPlay (dashboard) is to Apple Car as Apple TV (puck) is to Apple TV (screen).

August 20, 2022
  6. John Konopka said:
    I have to take issue with Gene’s characterization of this fall’s Apple lineup being “subdued.” Maybe so in the context of no Glasses, Car or fantastic Health breakthrough but there will be a lot of activity this fall.

We are expecting a new iPhone with best cameras ever (among other things), new Apple Watch, new iPads, new MacBooks(maybe), new iMac(maybe) and the long awaited Mac Pro with Apple Silicon. I expect the string of product announcements to constantly keep Apple in the news and to drive up sales and the stock price into the holiday season.

I’ll be getting an iPhone 14 just after they come out to replace my iPhone 11. I know I could get on the subscription plan and get one every year, but I kind of like the familiarity of keeping one for a few years.

Also, if the rumors are true and the announcement date is September 7 that bodes well for Q4.

August 18, 2022