Mark Gurman: Apple’s new CarPlay suggests Apple Car unveil in 2025

“Even without self-driving capabilities, a well-designed Apple car with all of the iPhone’s bells and whistles could quickly become a serious challenger to Tesla Inc.”

From Gurman’s “A peek at Apple Car” posted Sunday to Bloomberg Technology ($) subscribers:

When Apple Inc. unveiled a new version of CarPlay at the Worldwide Developers Conference last week, it was more than a software update—it previewed one of the most exciting products in the company’s pipeline: an electric car.

The move fit a pattern for Apple. Before the company enters a major new product category, it usually releases something that serves as the foundation…

Next up on the list is the latest generation of CarPlay—what I consider to be the most tantalizing announcement from this year’s developer conference. I don’t believe we’ll see the new CarPlay system on public roads until 2024, but Apple had to announce it, in part, to help pressure automakers to adopt the software. It’s a source of tension: Some car companies don’t want Apple to take over their interface, and the software could ultimately be used in a future vehicle that they have to compete with…

I think the new CarPlay interface is exceptionally well-designed and will instantly become a must-have for a new car purchase. It also looks more like an entirely new operating system than just a next-generation version of CarPlay…

Why would Apple bring this interface to third-party cars if it’s planning its own vehicle with the same approach? The easy answer is that Apple wants to show consumers its car chops. You like what you see here? Then you’re going to love the Apple car. It also helps the company learn about the auto industry and gather the necessary data to help build its own ride…

Though people familiar with the project doubt Apple will meet its goal of shipping a fully autonomous car around 2025, the company is still aiming to announce a vehicle as early as then. Even without self-driving capabilities, a well-designed Apple car with all of the iPhone’s bells and whistles could quickly become a serious challenger to Tesla Inc.

My take: An Apple Car with good enough self driving? I’d buy one. At the right price.

My tech savvy friend who got a Tesla back in January has two things of interest to say about it. 1 “Love the car, but not Elon Musk.” 2. “Tesla is still several years from full autonomy and Musk badly over-sells their current capability.”

2. Daniel Epstein said:
    I have been holding off buying a new vehicle for many years hoping that I would at least see what Apple was going to do in the car space. It is doubtful my current car will be on the road long enough for me to see a full car. Any improvement in Car Play will be a benefit to us Iphone users. The illustration for this article would not work for me as a driver. I don’t need information as the driver stretching across my whole dashboard. Also driving at night I want fewer bright light sources inside the car which effect my vision.

June 12, 2022
      “I have been holding off buying a new vehicle for many years hoping that I would at least see what Apple was going to do in the car space.”

That sounds like a good argument to do a 3 year lease. I’ve been looking at (not seriously) the Volvo Polestar2. The lease terms are optimal at 3 years, they go up significantly for both shorter or longer leases. (And there’s no particular penalty based on the amount put down.)

June 12, 2022
    • The graphic above depicting an almost wrap-around dash appears distracting, for ground transport. More akin to instrument panels in new Airbus & Boeing jets.
      Cars do benefit from Apple’s easy GUI. Just like on phones, dashboard controls can be easily available in any language/configuration & easily switched to another config for car sharing or if a German finds a Czech buyer. Audio for hearing impaired drivers, no way every car manufacturer could include all the Accessibility features Apple has now. Touch screen displays will establish Apple, EV-dedicated processors, revolutionary battery technology, and maybe, finally, a Maps app that doesn’t lead me deep into corn fields. On second thought, cede Maps to Google to avoid being accused of monopolizing EV components.

June 13, 2022
  3. Miguel Ancira said:
    got my wife a tesla…we like it but no CarPlay makes it very difficult for me to consider one…I think he will regret being so hard headed

4. David Drinkwater said:
    I’m seriously interested in adding new “radios” my 2004 BMW and my 2006 Subaru. I don’t know what the market currently has for the Bimmer, but I’ve seen an awesome AV system in a Baja.

These sorts of mods really help drag a car out of the 2000s.

The Bimmer I am in love with, in spite of her occasional quirks.
    The Baja I also really like, and 2006 was the last year they were sold, so there is no upgrade path besides mods.

5. George Ewonus said:
    Love my Mini-Cooper. “Racetrack” model with a 6 speed gearbox that’s fun to shift. Best thing about it – awesome integration with Apple CarPlay. While it’s a unique model and almost unobtainable now, the deal breaker was CarPlay. Amazing software. Wouldn’t touch a car without it.

6. T R said:
    The speculative mock-up rendering looks fun!
    The New Subaru Solterra-Baja EV You Want In Your Garage Next Year
    Check out the new 2024 Subaru Solterra Baja EV.
    torquenews . com

• David Drinkwater said:
      Oooh. Thanks for this!

7. Michael Goldfeder said:
    I rent cars quite often for business and can tell you that trying to get my iPod set up into a non “Car Play” interface platform is a real pain in the #@@! What I now do when I arrive at the counter and the rental company asks me which vehicle I would prefer from the two or three they’re offering, I tell them the one that has “Car Play” works for me.

8. Robert Varipapa said:
    I’m ready for an Apple car. I’m on my 2nd Tesla and while I love the car, Elon Musk has turned out to be a major liability. No CarPlay on Tesla and lots of broken or delayed promises. Tesla people joke about Elon Musk time — a day is equal to a week, a week is equal to a month, a month is equal to a year and a year is really 5 years or maybe never.

9. Alan Trerise said:
    I’m just speculating of course but I think both Apple and car companies finally came to their senses. Apple has no interest in designing hub caps and car companies can’t bring themselves to pay AI engineers more than a VP. The desire to build a car may have been a Jony Ive thing. At some point in the future we may be buying a Chevy with Apple inside.

June 12, 2022
    I have been examining to purchase the MB EQS 580. Its interior interface system covers the entire front interior with what MB calls a “hyper screen,” with visuals starting from the driver’s door all the way across to the right passenger’s door. The interface flows downward from the top of the dash to the bottom of the dash section or 1.41 meters (1.54 yards) of displayed screen. It truly is an automotive infotainment system for the driver and passenger. The part of the interface in the front passenger seating area is for the front passenger who can access all the data available to the driver and more. The passenger also can elect entertainment options such as mapping, weather, music, gaming and video selections of movies to watch. Ambient lightings softly glows throughout the cabin with 64 different color options from which to choose to fit one’s mood. The car of tomorrow is an extension of the home entertainment and communication center. That car already is here in the MB EQS.

I long have stated my deep conviction that Apple would come forth with an Apple car. While a full autonomous driving vehicle is the end goal for most car manufacturers, I never believed Apple was addressing solely that goal. While Apple strives to produce the world’s greatest products, the innate motive to do so is to make Apple, the company, money. Don’t ever naively attempt to believe otherwise. Apple sees a gold mine in the transportation industry for tapping into large sums of revenues it needs to continue growing the company. Apple is entering transportation to go head-to-head with “all” car manufacturers. Tesla just happens to be in the EV lead and the most competitive of the manufacturers in the transportation EV industry. Not for long, though. I truly believe by the end of the decade that Apple will catapult most all of the car manufacturers with perhaps the exception of the German luxury segment of car manufacturers who will continue to have their loyal followers and retaining them by proffering up competitive offerings of performance and luxury cars from those highly respected brands.

Continue….

Continued….

I have an additional deep abiding conviction about Apple under Tim Cook’s leadership. Tim Cook understands how to make money. Apple didn’t become the largest market capitalization company on the planet through luck. It was Tim Cook’s vision after assuming the leadership reins from Steve that drove Apple to that level. It is Tim Cook’s vision that will help Apple retain that level and drive to further new heights by the end of the decade.

Tim Cook has been positioning Apple to exploit new revenue growth in five industrial areas: transportation, finance, health & wellness, gaming and entertainment. It almost is unfathomable to the common layperson to comprehend the extent of new revenues Apple is positioning itself to glean from these five new industrial areas. By the end of this decade Apple today will be a minor facsimile to what Apple will be globally as we enter the 2030s. LT Apple investors will reap much from these efforts in the coming years. Bob G’s children won’t have any financial worries. 🙂

June 12, 2022
    Since folk often accuse me of loquaciousness, let me strive to be laconic in my summation. The future for Apple never gleamed more brightly than it does today. 🙂

June 12, 2022
    Here is the MB EQS “hyper-screen” that portends future interface screen systems that we most likely will see in future offerings from the industry. Apple is positioning itself to assume this real estate.