NYT loves Apple's 'Mankind'

From James Poniewozik's "In ‘For All Mankind,’ the Future Is in the Past" in Friday's New York Times:

The co-creator Ronald D. Moore (“Battlestar Galactica,” “Outlander”) grounds “Mankind” in a fanciful but reality-based approach to sci-fi. (The series is full of balletic, silent space scenes because sound waves cannot travel in a vacuum.) There are no deus ex machina cheats. The show is in love with the jury-rig and engineering kludge; the Season 2 finale, involving an international crisis on the moon base, includes what has to be TV’s most emotionally devastating use of duct tape.

Cue Season 3's official trailer:

My take: Almost makes me want to give the series a third try. Is it OK to skip Seasons 1 and 2?

1. Duane Bemister said:
    I couldn’t make through the wedding toasts. Go for Slow Horses

June 10, 2022
  2. Bob Goldstein said:
    This is a really good show and I highly recommend it. I watch a lot of Apple TV + and this is one of my favorites. It is not fact based. It is alternative history. If one is looking for a show based on accurate science look elsewhere. It is a terrific drama, well worth watching if you enjoy alternative history

June 10, 2022
  3. Steven Philips said:
    I couldn’t make it past the first four episodes.
    Did it improve?

June 10, 2022
  4. Michael Goldfeder said:
    I’m enjoying this show and after watching Margrethe Vestager yesterday, I can think of another great use for duct tape.

@PED: IMO you’d really need to watch it from the beginning to get a better understanding of the relationships between all of these characters.

June 10, 2022
    • Roger Schutte said:
      Michael, I’m guessing Margrethe isn’t on your Christmas list.

June 10, 2022
      • Michael Goldfeder said:
        @Roger: She’s on a list that makes the Post Office Top Ten look like preschool recess.

June 10, 2022