Apple hosts ex-POTUS

From Reuters' "Trump's Truth Social app launches on Apple App Store" posted early Monday:

Donald Trump's new social media venture, Truth Social, launched late on Sunday in Apple's App Store, potentially marking the former president's return to social media after he was banned from several platforms last year.

The app was available to download shortly before midnight ET and was automatically downloaded to Apple devices belonging to users who had pre-ordered the app.

Some users reported either having trouble registering for an account or were added to a waitlist with a message: "Due to massive demand, we have placed you on our waitlist."

Led by former Republican U.S. Representative Devin Nunes, Trump Media & Technology Group (TMTG), the venture behind Truth Social, joins a growing portfolio of technology companies that are positioning themselves as champions of free speech and hope to draw users who feel their views are suppressed on more established platforms.

"This week we will begin to roll out on the Apple App Store. That's going to be awesome, because we're going to get so many more people that are going to be on the platform," Nunes said in a Sunday appearance on Fox News' "Sunday Morning Futures with Maria Bartiromo".

My take: Nunes was never the sharpest tool. Wonder what the former President would have to say or do to get banned from the App Store.

1. Total rip-off of the Twitter interface. ‘47 U.S. Code § 230 – Protection for private blocking and screening of offensive material’ will suddenly have a convert. In India they build temples and offer food to the old cobra that eats rats in the rice paddy. The cobra does sleep in the temple. Villagers like to know where the venomous beast resides.

February 21, 2022
  2. Robert Stack said:
    War is peace. Hate is love. Truth is…

February 21, 2022
  3. Robert Varipapa said:
    Knowing who’s behind it, the name is truly oxymoronic!
    Wouldn’t let me sign up (good use for the ‘Hide My Email’ feature of iCloud!) Looking forward to the reviews

February 21, 2022
  4. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    I was searching for a word to describe this initiative and a word that would be considered neutral and non-inflammatory. I found the word “irregular.” A secondary definition of irregular is: “An imperfect piece of merchandise sold at a reduced price.” Somehow that really seemed to fit. But then I thought about it some more and the word “odd” came to mind. Most of us have an understanding of the word. But then I thought, “How grand! This really is an effort by a person or group of persons to create their own digital reality!” That’s when the word “irregular” came to mind again because I’m sure there will be merchandise – hats, T-shirts, flags, etc. That’s when I realized this really isn’t something new or maybe I watched a prequel. So I’ve decided to pass. I’m certainly not offended I didn’t get an invitation to join. It’s certainly not my reality. So if I wanted to enter a different reality, I thought for a moment I’d wait for the so-called “metaverse.” That’s when I realized the person talking the most about the metaverse might be striving to create his own altered or augmented reality and, there, too, there would probably be merchandise. That’s when the word irregular came to mind again. That’s when I realized, at least for now, I’m OK with this reality. Both of the individuals I referenced (at least indirectly) that are striving to create their own versions of reality are a bit odd and I’m better off not engaging with either of them. In my view, Apple provides enough digital engagement opportunities through its product and services offerings I really don’t have a yearning to enter someone else’s version of reality. I like this reality very much – at least for now. Like I said, I’ll pass on whatever this new thing might be. It just seems so “irregular.”

February 21, 2022
    I perceived long ago that individuals, courts, churches, governments and social institutions often perceive the truth in ways to justify their actions through legitimacy. Then upon examining their actions I discern that the truth can mean different things. The truth at times is complex and difficult to understand.

February 21, 2022
  6. Steven Philips said:
    But it’s not really that hard to perceive obvious NON-truths if people would just be honest with themselves!
    If Apple gets a share of in app purchases the MAGAZINE crowd may just push AAPL to a new ath! 🙂

February 21, 2022
  7. Brian Loftus said:
    Competition is good. If this business venture succeeds it will only be because of significant and long term censorship that is not related to “truth.”

February 21, 2022
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Thank you, Brian! We live in a deeply divided nation that is socially and culturally splintered. All perspectives are appreciated and respected. I don’t really engage with any of the social media incumbents so I strive to learn from the experiences and viewpoints of others.

February 21, 2022