Eve Jobs, all grown up

From CNBC’s “Meet Eve Jobs, Steve Jobs’ 23-year-old daughter” [updated]:

Jobs’ Instagram profile paints a pretty fun portrayal of college life. Recent photos show her glammed up with girlfriends and posing on a boat in front of azure water while in Sicily, Italy.

apple steve jobs eveThe Apple heiress competes regularly at horse shows. In May [2018], she won the $130,000 CSI 3 Grand Prix at the Split Rock Jumping Tour in Lexington, Kentucky, and in August, she beat out a number of riders to take home the top prize at the $100,000 Reliable Rentals Grand Prix with her horse Venue D’Fees Des Hazalles in British Columbia, Canada.

“Riding always keeps you humble. It’s great to see your hard work pay off, but you have to constantly stay at the top of your game,” Jobs told tutoring service Upper Echelon Academy in a 2016 interview.

“It has taught me independence, dedication and perseverance, which I can apply to all realms of my life,” she said.

Jobs’ mother, Laurene Powell Jobs, paid $15.3 million in 2016 for a 3.5 acre ranch in Wellington, Florida, which has been dubbed “the equestrian capital of the world.” The compound, the Miami Herald reports, is right across the street from an estate Bill Gates purchased for $37 million. The Microsoft co-founder’s daughter, Jennifer, 21, is also a competitive equestrian.

My take: Time flies; slow news day.

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Back in the day, I took English style riding lessons as part of my back therapy in Taylor, TX. My instructress also taught/trained young folks for competitive riding at her ranch.

In other slow news, Samsung is planning on building a chip factory in Taylor. Relatively close to the Harold Green/Tesla Parkway/130 factory nearing completion close to the Austin-Bergstrom Airport.

January 2, 2022
    “… My take: Time flies; slow news day.”

It sure is a slow news day. Almost four years slow.

January 2, 2022
  3. Greg Lippert said:
    In related news, Samsung plans to put their own look-alike entry into horse show competitions.

January 2, 2022
  4. Michael Goldfeder said:
    In other related news: I rode a horse at YMCA summer camp. I figured out pretty quickly that I wasn’t equestrian material.

January 2, 2022
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Michael: Are you sure it wasn’t at the Triple R Ranch with Spin and Marty?

January 2, 2022
      • Michael Goldfeder said:
        @Robert: Camp Chief Ouray near Granby, Colorado. Home of Apple hating horses. Still there today. Don’t know if their stables currently house any “Gates” horses.

January 2, 2022
  5. Steven Philips said:
    Jobs and Gates still competing!
    Will Gates steal the design of Eve’s special saddle?

January 2, 2022
    @Michael Goldfeder: “…. I rode a horse at YMCA summer camp. I figured out pretty quickly that I wasn’t equestrian material.”

Well, I don’t know about whether I ever were or not an “Equestrian.” But I sure as hell rode horses, saddled and bareback for miles and miles and far into the backcountry as I could ride. 3.5 acre ranch? One could train horses on that limited acreage. I assume from the article that it also is sufficient acreage to train a rider to become an Equestrian. The pasture sure seems limited to me. So many unknowns exists to spook a horse during a ride and I do not know if all those unknowns exists in such a controlled confined space. I remember as a young kid galloping bareback & serenely over the landscape only for my mare to break abruptly, swerving to the right and flinging me yards through the air to the left. It was the first incident of learning that little things such as a coiled snake or discolored earthen perforation easily could spook my mount. I just don’t know if a good equestrian can learn all these lessons of happenchance practicing on a 2 acre spread. The main house and stables surely take up one acre. So, that leaves two acres to train as an Equestrian. I see training the basics, but not the real world experience. Then again, I probably am not an Equestrian. What do I know.

January 2, 2022
    • Michael Goldfeder said:
      @Jerry Doyle: I must have been riding a “Gates” horse as he or she took me under several tree branches that even the very best Limbo dancer couldn’t avoid. I was destined to become an Apple investor and products user even before the company was ever formed, or Jobs born.

January 2, 2022
  7. katherine anderson said:
    It’s not fair to comment on the children of famous people, but I can’t help but wonder if Steve Jobs didn’t try (or wouldn’t have tried) to steer his daughter away from horses. This is what my frugal and authoritarian late father did to me as a girl. And I am thankful for it. My father was a strong believer in the character building qualities and benefits of sport for children, and in particular team sports. No expense was spared when it came to supporting his five children in any sports they chose, except for equestrianism.

No offence to the horse lovers and owners among your readership Phil, but as I understand it, in equestrianism (jumping, racing, dressage), the skill and strength belongs to the horse. The sport is also probably the most expensive sport there is, and the higher up competitors go, the more expensive it becomes, eg, owning and housing a horse, equipment, training, 24-hour care, transport … $100,000 a year?+

The shrinking pool of well-to-do competitors at the top perhaps explains why every equestrian you’ve ever heard of (with the means to compete at the national or international level) are, all of them, international prize-winners, including every royal highness you ever heard of … Princess Anne, Princess Haya bit Hussein (Dubai), the daughter of Princess Caroline of Monaco, the list of royal international prize winners could fill up the page.

I can well imagine Bill Gates aspiring to have his daughter among all the royal highnesses, but not Steve Jobs as an egalitarian like my father, who believed that the best sports, and the most joyful experiences of them, are the sports that provide everyone with the opportunity to participate.

January 2, 2022
      From what I understand, there is a lot of physical skill in riding, enough that a daily ride was a very common form of ‘physical training’. And doing it at a competition level is a merger of horse and rider, both have to contribute individual skills and then ‘the sum is greater than the parts.’

(Me, I was never interested in horses…)

January 3, 2022
      • katherine anderson said:
        Yes, I can imagine something quite beautiful happens in the relationship between horse and rider, as a team of two opposites. I think I understand what you’re getting at … it’s a relationship a bit like Apple, and the intersection where the humanities and technology meet to create something extraordinary that wouldn’t be possible without the skills of each contributing to the other.

January 3, 2022