Strategy Analytics: Apple HomePod sales grew 92% in September

“The gap between the top five and the rest of the market continued to expand, with Apple’s surge powered by its HomePod Mini.”

From “Strategy Analytics: Another Record Quarter for Smart Speakers in 3Q21, Though Supply Chain Woes are on the Horizon,” a press release issued Dec. 20, 2021:

Strategy Analytics estimates total smart speaker and smart display shipments grew 10% year-over-year to 39.3 million units, a record for a third calendar quarter though essentially flat from Q2 2021’s 39 million as market uncertainties persist, particularly with regards to the impacts of new COVID variants…

In the overall smart speaker and smart display market in Q2 2021, the leaderboard remained unchanged, with Amazon at No. 1 followed by Google, Baidu, Alibaba, and Apple, respectively. The gap between the top five and the rest of the market continued to expand as these companies dominate entry-level ($50 to $99) and ultra-low ($49 and less) price bands, with Apple’s surge powered by its HomePod Mini.

Cue the spreadsheet:

apple homepod mini strategy analytics

My take: By discontinuing the over-engineered HomePod after four years and concentrating on the low-priced Mini, Apple made itself a player in the smart speaker game again.

1. Robert Stack said:
    And they’re STILL in short supply! The yellow one I wanted is now showing a shipping date of Feb 1 – 8, 2022 on Apple’s website.

Is this due to larger-than-expected, overwhelming demand or a supply chain issue? That is the question – not “To be or not to be…”

January 1, 2022
  2. Troy Thoman said:
    I still don’t get why they don’t offer both. For people that want to spend more on the higher end one, let them. Use it to put the newest tech into before it moves down to the mini a few years later. Also they should double as a wifi network extender IMO.

January 1, 2022
    • Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
      Exactly! Similar to an iPad Pro & iPad Mini strategy. Hopefully assessing a HomePod Pro or akin to it is already in the works.

January 1, 2022
    • Dan Scropos said:
      Troy, I couldn’t agree more. For Apple to put maximum pressure on its competition, they need more options. The discontinuing of the original HomePod seemed like a knee jerk reaction to the Amazon Alexa (giveaway) sales figures. “The best, not the most,” right, Tim Cook?

I don’t see why they couldn’t, as you said, offer both. Personally, I think engineering it down to a premium price point of $299 would have worked, too. A lineup with the mini at $99, the HomePod at $199 and the original, yet re-marketed, HomePod Max at $299 would be similar to what the iPhone lineup offers, and my hope is that we’ll see something like that soon. One offering is simply not enough.

January 1, 2022
  3. John Konopka said:
    I really love the full size Home Pod. I would buy several more if they updated it to a Home Pod Pro version.

January 1, 2022
  4. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    To all comments above…let us pray.

January 2, 2022
  5. Darren DMW said:
    Recall that when it was discontinued people were still receiving units with manufacture dates from the original release date. In the last 2 decades You can probably count on one hand the number of Apple products that sat on the shelf for multiple years.

Apple’s feasibility on the product must have been several times more than actual demand to be profitable.

I also think in time Apple will release something around $199 that will be engineered to be profitable at that price point.

January 2, 2022
  6. Peter Kropf said:
    I believe Apple will return with a totally redesigned, better, and retargeted HomePod ‘Pro’. I think they discontinued the HomePod because they wanted to free up the space for another try to hit a home run.

January 2, 2022
  7. Troy Thoman said:
    I also have seen good ideas in competitors’ products, like security features (glass break and footfall detection when you are away) that would be a cool and non-hardware addition. I’ve been very unimpressed with Apple’s AI/ML tools so far. The AI photography and AI-driven photo search about the only things in that space that Apple has built that impresses me.

January 2, 2022