Beyond Steve Jobs’ bicycle for the mind

From Napier Lopez’ “Forget the Apple car, I want an Apple iBike” posted Tuesday on TNW:

I’ll admit it, an Apple car would be cool, and I’m mighty curious to see what Curpertino’s take on an electric vehicle is. But you know what I think would be even more interesting, more impactful, and better for the planet than an Apple Car?

An Apple ebike. Or should I say… the iBike?

Before you get blurry vision from rolling your eyes too much, hear me out.

I’d bet my bottom dollar that Apple will market its car around environmental benefits. But it takes just a little research — and common sense) to show that ebikes are a better solution than cars for many places, cities in particular.

Cue the graphic:

My take: My Trek Verve 2 Plus electric commuter bike weighs 52 pounds, gets less than 72 miles per charge and is not autonomous. Could Apple could do enough better to create a new market?

See also:

1. Ken Cheng said:
    I love to bike, but roads have to become a lot safer for cyclists before riding to work becomes mainstream.

November 23, 2021
      There’s far more to consider than the environment when choosing your mode of transportation.

As a former police officer I can attest to the fact that collisions that shake up the occupants of cars, kill bicyclists (with or without helmets).

November 23, 2021
    • Horace Dediu said:
      I’d love to have an iPhone but the data networks just can’t handle it. -everyone in 2006.

November 23, 2021
  2. John Konopka said:
    I bicycle a lot. I really appreciate the health benefits of this. An electric assist for my bike would help a lot on windy days and for going up long hills. A cowling would help on cold, drizzly days.

There are good options for an electric assist for your bike. Here is one example.

I’m not sure how Apple would get involved in this. I think there is room for someone with Apple’s heft to sort of force the issue here. The company I cited above has great technology, but who knows about it? Apple could demonstrate these at every Apple store and sell them through thousands of bike shops around the world. Apple could put together sample legislation for cities showing them how to make biking safer. This is mostly known, but Apple could shine a brighter light on this.

Having said that, I doubt Apple would get into this as it is not part of their charter. Maybe they would support a nonprofit doing this.

November 23, 2021
  3. Hap Allen said:
    It’s easy to understand the pros of e-bikes, especially one coming from Apple.

What concerns me, though, was covered in one of the top comments on a recent NYT article on them:

“… I am a cyclist and you just proved why everybody in NY hates cyclists. Maybe, you haven’t been to NYC, but on my visit last week, what I saw was loads of cyclists going the wrong way, without helmets, blowing off stop lights, none wearing helmets, and oh, the electric ones are silent and going as fast as cars. When I bike, I wear a helmet, have safety lights, give pedestrians the right of way and even ride on the right side of the road. But guess what, most cyclists are just as bad at riding their bikes as they are at driving their cars.”

November 23, 2021
  4. Alan Birnbaum said:
    My Specialized Creo Carbon comp is about 27 lbs ( add 3-4 lb for my other stuff) and easily makes 70+ miles on mostly low assist.

November 23, 2021
    Thanks for the carbon calculation.

AV-as-a-service solves more problems such as parking, longer distances, multiple trips in a day, and really harsh weather. An iBike becomes a delightful companion product when AV-as-service becomes mainstream. Maybe it would include an AR helmet taking safety up a few notches.

November 23, 2021
  6. Jonny T said:
    Apple Car could have two or even four eBikes folded up neatly in the back…? Sign me up.

November 23, 2021
  7. Lalit Jagtap said:
    Recently I have shortlisted the e-bike “RadRunner Plus”. Hopefully over thanksgiving our family will agree to commit to it. Yes, the road safety is my major concern, but like we started with Model S in 2013, now I am ready to move forward as early adapter of e-bike. Hope we all can take a small action towards e-bike.

November 23, 2021