Apple bets big on India -- and on Priya Balasubramaniam

From William Gallagher's "Apple supports one million jobs in India, pilots new manufacturing project" posted Thursday on AppleInsider:

Apple has told an Indian technology summit that the company supports around a million jobs through its local app economy.

Priya Balasubramaniam, Apple's vice president of Product Operations VP, has been speaking to the Bengaluru Tech Summit about the company's plans for India. She said that Apple currently supports a wide range of jobs through direct employment, the app economy, and local supply partners...

My take: Balasubramaniam is a new name to me -- and not an easy one to spell. What's not new is Apple making generous estimates of how many jobs it and its app economy support. According to Apple, 0.07% of India's 1.38 billion souls work for Apple.

Think about where this market will be in 5 years.

This is the kind of thing that Toni S., and many others, don’t understand. Apple keeps adding growth vectors.

More dreams: Video content creation on Apple from Bollywood, to Pro-Am, driving 30% vig on 3rd party streaming. Next stop is Vietnam (sorry country joe fish).

November 19, 2021
    • Robert Stack said:
      @Fred: I doubt there are many who will get your Country Joe and the Fish reference, at least among PED’s readers. Then again, at least amongst the commenters, most of us are…ahem…eligible for AARP membership. 🙂
      Interesting footnote: 15 years ago when I lived in Berkeley, Country Joe lived around the corner from us. (Not sure where the “Fish” swam off to – maybe the Bay?) Woodstock emcee Wavy Gravy lived a block away, and Robert Reich, Clinton’s Labor Secretary, had just moved in across the street. It was an interesting neighborhood…

November 19, 2021
      • Bob Goldstein said:
        @Robert Stack I was a huge Country Joe and The Fish fan when I was in high school. I saw them at the Fillmore East. They weren’t my favorite band back then but I loved their music. I never met Joe but I often stopped and chatted with his dad on Telegraph who had a street table where he sold his books

November 19, 2021
        • Bart Yee said:
          I lived in Berkeley for grad school in the late 70’s at Durant and Telegraph next door to Kip’s, and close to Rasputin’s and Leopold’s record shops, wondered if I would ever get the personal computers they sold at the PET Commodore shop, drooled over the new stereo gear at db Audio on Shattuck and the classic used tube gear at the Sound Well.

My best music discovery was being able to really expand my jazz leanings of straight ahead jazz bebop, jazz fusion, and what we now call smooth jazz. Manhattan Transfer, Kenny Rankin, soon to be Basia, Matt Bianco, SpyroGyra, Weather Report, Jazz Crusaders, old and new Chuck Mangione, as well as Corea, Burrell, Washington Jr., Metheny, etc., Sheffield Records, and the whole world of higher end audio at the time plus DIY electronics through multiple used electronics depots in Oakland and the Silicon Valley (ex-military and HP among others) were all new discoveries. I rebuilt my Dynaco ST35 and ST70 tube amps in my apartment using my previous slot car soldering skills.

As John Ireland, Lakers radio announcer and LA sports talk host says “never let school get in the way of your education.”

November 19, 2021
      • Kirk DeBernardi said:
        I remember my brother listening to Country Joe and The Fish AND I just joined AARP.

Not proud of that fact, but it allowed me to save about $20 on my wireless bill — 😉

“What a looooong strange trip it’s been.” (thanks Jerry G.)

November 19, 2021
    • Mordechai Beizer said:
      “Well, come on all of you, big strong men,
      Uncle Tim needs your help again…”

Who doesn’t know Country Joe & the Fish?

November 19, 2021
    • Steven Philips said:
      And , if you order online, your phone comes home in a box!
      And no big strong men needed.

November 19, 2021
  2. Asia: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Apple. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new markets. To seek out new customers and new employees. To boldly go where few Western firms have gone before!
    Disclaimer: Six trips to India in the 1980s & 90s taught me Bengali, Indian culture & cuisine. India today is a Democratic nation with a massive population of young people eager to get a college degree & build a future. Compare with US & Japan struggling to support an aging society with a shrinking labor pool.
    Balasubramaniam roughly translates to ´doer of good deeds.´

November 19, 2021
  3. Randy McCleary said:
    “Balasubramaniam has recently been tipped to take over as senior vice president, operations, when Tim Cook leaves the company and Apple restructures its executive team.”

Currently, Sabih Khan is SVP-Ops. Assuming Priya moves into SVP-Ops role, Sabih moves up (somewhere) allowing COO Jeff Williams moves up to . . . CEO? Reading too much?

Also, as Tim has said on different interviews, he maintains a 1yr, 3yr and 5yr career plan. If true, 5yrs is about the max of what he believes will be the end of the Tim Cook era at APPL. So 15yrs as CEO not counting pitch hitting time when Steve was ill? If assumption is true and trajectory happens, could the Tim Cook era be footnoted with a 10x company size from ~360B in 2012 to ~$3.6T in 2027?

I’d look at the current and future incentive stock offerings for CEO to tell when the board and Tim would be looking to retire. -RJ

November 19, 2021
    Thanks for the details, and the translation,Thomas. Fun to read.

Lacking professional credentials or facts, I’d bet on massive potential for Apple in new customers and ecosystem from manufacturing to 3rd party added value in India.

Oh wait, I did bet, indirect through my shares in AAPL, who have the professionals and the facts.

November 19, 2021
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Fred Stein —

You’re not alone in that bet.

😉