WSJ: Apple knows when you’ve crashed your car

From Rolfe Winkler’s “Apple Wants iPhones to Detect Car Crashes, Auto-Dial 911” posted Monday by the Wall Street Journal:

Beginning next year, iPhone users who are in a car accident could have their phone dial 911 automatically.

Apple Inc. AAPL -0.73% plans next year to roll out a product feature called “crash detection” for iPhones and Apple Watches, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal and people familiar with the feature.

Crash detection uses data from sensors built into Apple devices including the accelerometer to detect car accidents as they occur, for instance by measuring a sudden spike in gravity, or “g,” forces on impact…

Apple has been testing the crash-detection feature in the past year by collecting data shared anonymously from iPhone and Apple Watch users, the documents show. Apple products have already detected more than 10 million suspected vehicle impacts, of which more than 50,000 included a call to 911.

Ex friend-of-the-blog Fred Stein, who spotted the item: Recall that Horace said Apple could feature safety or “safest” as part of positioning when/if they enter EV / AV.

See also: Horace Dediu: Why Apple isn’t ready to disrupt transportation (video)

1. Alessandro Luethi said:
    Ex friend of the blog?

November 1, 2021
    • Alan Blair said:
      You beat me to it.

Where’s Fred – he’s my favourite commenter.

November 1, 2021
  2. bas flik said:
    Last quarter Tesla issued 20bln worth of stock and made 1,6bln profits.
    apple is retracting stock
    why value a company which main business is printing stock?
    compared to tesla apple is heavily undervalued one can not imagen how much.
    but competitors of tesla have a problem with these kind of valuations.
    i am scared one day Tesla will cause a big stock market crash

November 1, 2021
  3. Robert Stack said:
    In the spirit of the holly days:

iPhone knows when you are sleeping,
    iPhone knows when you’re awake.
    iPhone knows if you’ve been bad or good
    Or if you’ve crashed your car for goodness sake!

November 1, 2021
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      @Robert Stack: Well Robert, based on your comment Apple then knows fully all you have been up to. 🙂

November 1, 2021
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      This crash detection feature and Apple inculcating safety into operating a vehicle is consistent with Tim’s long harangue that Apple’s legacy will be in health & wellness. Tim continues to say this fact repeatedly, but WS seems not to embrace hearing.

November 1, 2021
    Thanks acknowledging, but why unfriend me? Just kidding.

Still hats off to hosts PED and RPL and panelist Horace.

November 1, 2021
      Glad to see your ex-hood has been revoked 🙂 🙂

November 1, 2021
  5. Kathy Corby said:
    Get this– I went in to collect my 3 year old MacBook Air that Apple had repaired for free under its AppleCare warranty expiring next week. I checked in without saying my name, just that I was there for a pick-up. The retail employee said “Oh, you’re Kathy. It’s on its way up.” I stared at him– how did they know? Still haven’t figured it out– maybe because my devices auto join the wifi network in the store? Maybe the store app on my phone? Anyway, 2 minutes later I was out the door. A little scary….

November 1, 2021
    • Michael Goldfeder said:
      @ Kathy Corby: They obviously must have recognized you from your multiple posts on the Apple 3.0 site. What other explanation could there be?

November 1, 2021