Apple Music Voice joke

“If I wanted to pay money to be consistently misunderstood, I’d buy a plane ticket to my mother’s house.”

From Tuesday’s Washington Post: Apple is finally fixing the things people hate most about its laptops:

The demise of MagSafe charging. An inelegant Touch Bar. Limited selection of ports. The laundry list of complaints about Apple’s laptops has steadily grown over the past five years. Now, Apple is finally walking back those changes…

A bewildering new Apple Music subscription This brings us to perhaps the strangest part of Apple’s announcement. The company unveiled a new $4.99-a-month “Apple Music Voice” plan to complement its existing Apple Music subscriptions. The pitch: Control your music selections using voice only.
The details are hazy, but anyone familiar with Siri’s constant mistakes and misfires may be shuddering. If I wanted to pay money to be consistently misunderstood, I’d buy a plane ticket to my mother’s house.

For now, we’ll stick to good old thumbs-on-screen music selection — at least until we understand exactly what value (if any) the voice plan offers.

My take: That got a laugh out of my wife.

1. Greg Lippert said:
    The subscription only makes sense (to me) if I can create playlists with my voice and add songs.

I just tested it and Siri cannot create new playlists but it can add songs to existing playlists. But since the new subscription is not yet live, maybe its coming?

Either way sounds tedious, I’ll stick with my current Apple Music Subscription.

October 19, 2021
    • Alessandro Luethi said:
      If I’m not wrong, there’s an accompanying app for that.

October 19, 2021
  2. Alessandro Luethi said:
    My take: That got a laugh out of my wife.

😀

October 19, 2021
  3. Cy Manning said:
    hah! Yes, that’s a good one.

As for the use case, I presume this plan functions to provide an inexpensive option for Music non-subscribers that will be lower-volume consumers that engage primarily through HomePods or AirPods (e.g., HomePods gifted to an elderly relative, AirPods gifted to a child, someone that primarily listens to music with AirPods while exercising). Perhaps these ‘light’ listeners will be satisfied mostly with playlists such as Zane discussed during the event. This pricing serves to make the subscription an easy add-on or throw-away and, potentially, the entry to future service upgrades.

This would be, at least for Apple, a relatively low sales volume option. However, a worthwhile placeholder as the alternate is non-Apple, free advertisement-based services. Once set-up on a competing service, converting that person to Music later is a challenge.

October 19, 2021
  4. Gary Gouriluk said:
    Tried Apple Music on the free trial when it was first introduced. It mangled my music library, trashing random songs and albums burned from my cds for my first ipod. I spent two months combing through and re-burning old cds. Won’t be trying that again.

October 19, 2021
  5. Rodney Avilla said:
    My understanding is that this service is for people who do NOT like making playlists, but may want to listen to a certain type of music for a specific situation (exercising, background music for dinner party, reading, BBQ, game nite, etc). So you request a type of music, not certain songs. Much less room for misunderstanding by Siri, than, let’s say, asking for a song that has a zillion renditions, and you only want the one done by so-and-so in 2015 at a concert. And I’d probably think twice before ridiculing my mother in a public forum.

October 19, 2021
  6. Bart Yee said:
    Two points that I think people are missing:

1) using Siri to get away from “thumbs on screen” iPhone / iPad / iPod / Apple TV remote interaction. As for Apple Pay, the long term objective is to reduce friction in interactions and change (disrupt) existing user interface behaviors and move users to a new interface. Now certainly the author and many of you will say that Siri itself is friction, but Apple is pushing for less pocket reaching and more voice activation.

Would you prefer to use Alexa or Google Assistant in music or playlist selection? If yes, then would you want Apple to have a viable / competitive or superior voice assistant with similar or better functionality? Certainly, and Apple is pushing itself to get there.

Remember that in May 2021 and 2018, the below hires were done (quoted from MacWorld):

If you’ve been looking for some sign that Apple is serious about Siri, a new Reuters report should pique your interest. The publication reports that Apple has hired former Google AI research scientist Samy Bengio after he recently left the company after 14 years.

Bengio will reportedly lead a new AI research unit with another Google defector, John Giannandrea, who took on the role of senior vice president of machine learning and AI strategy at Apple in 2018. Together they will be tasked with shaping Siri into a Google Assistant competitor.”

October 19, 2021
    • Bart Yee said:
      2) the bigger issue is for Apple to expand new and current music and artists into the hands of users. By having users ask for curated music playlists, they are exposed to new music they may not have known about in the past. Whether we agree with those selections is debatable but it allows Apple to promote current and new music to users (assuming one gets the performer and song title info), especially younger users who will be more likely to adapt UX and seek out new music, unlike the mostly over 50 crowd here.

Think of it as AM or FM radio with specific DJ’s or genre programming called up without button pushing or payola.

October 19, 2021