Why I ordered a new Apple MacBook Pro yesterday

From Parker Ortolani’s “I wasn’t planning to buy a MacBook Pro, but today’s event exceeded my wildest expectations” posted Monday on 9to5Mac:

We had known that Apple was working on an all-new MacBook Pro based on Apple Silicon for quite a long time. I hadn’t been particularly interested in the rumored machine because of the tremendously good M1 Macs that the company has been spinning out for about a year now. The new iMac is an incredible machine that’s matched by a gorgeous design. Even the first M1 machines introduced last November are still very good and very fast computers. So I had no intention of buying a MacBook Pro today.

Now if you know me, you’re probably thinking “this was inevitable” or “of course he was going to buy one.” But I didn’t expect Apple to come out swinging today the way that they did. The new MacBook Pros exceeded my wildest expectations. Just about every single thing in them is brand new. It’s in an entirely different class compared to even the M1 Macs. But my reason for upgrading has nothing to do with Apple Silicon or the new M1 Pro and Max chipsets. It’s all about the other things.

If Apple had just introduced MacBook Pros with a similar design, slightly bigger displays, and a better chip, I wouldn’t have even considered upgrading. But the new MacBook Pros are new in every single possible way.

My take: Me too. Ordered the 14-inch base model a couple hours after Monday’s keynote (delivery due Oct. 26-Nov. 2). They had me at MagSafe.

My primary reason for ordering was the return of useful ports. I’m particularly happy for the SD card slot. 3 TBolt slots are good. MagSafe is good (I wonder if I can use a MagSafe 2 supply?) I also note that delivery is now mid Nov rather than early Dec for my M1 Max/16″ machine. (The ’21 machines are a return to what I have on my ’15 machine, and Apple is giving me $550 in trade-in for that 15″ MBPro.)

Frankly, I’m glad they didn’t announce a companion monitor. I’m using the old 27″ display, and I’m not sure I could have afforded to replace the monitor, too. Hopefully we’ll see that next year, along with new 27″/30″ M1 iMacs.

I’m using the old 27″ display

I’m using a 27” Cinema Display attached to the latest iCore Mac mini. Other than having to use a dongle, the display is just fine for my spreadsheet work.

If a dongle is available to connect it to an M1 Max iMac I’ll use it as a second monitor. (And sell the Mac mini).

2. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Congratz to you both, Philip & David (& author Parker, too).

With the advent (or re-advent) of MagSafe, if I got the same new or future MBPs, that would free up a Thunderbolt 3 power line I use from my CalDigit TS3. I guess it would still need to be connected for the data feed.

Or I can just use the new MagSafe when I’m not tethered to the CalDigit (e.g. on travel). Nice!

🙂

October 19, 2021
    Apple redefined laptops. That’s an understatement.

These are laptop workstations. With their compute power, flexibility (ports, etc.) and the ability to drive multiple big monitors, they can replace desktop computers for all but the most demanding applications.

Apple takes some risk here. While they may cannibalize some iMac sales, they can also take share from PC workstations.

October 19, 2021
      they can also take share from PC workstations.

With a 30” screen, and the ability to support more, iMacs WILL take share from PC workstations.

Come to think about it, what’s Apple got in mind for the Mac Pro? Good golly Miss Molly, I got goose pimples just thinking about it. Next Fall?

Or how about rack mount (Mac mini on steroids?) for server farms?

• David Drinkwater said:
        I repeat myself, at the risk of being crude:

The Big, Bad Voodoo Daddy

• Bart Yee said:
      I rather doubt the MacBook Pros will cannibalize iMac sales simply because of the major price differences, user targets, and significant application scenarios. IMO, heavy hitters were always going to wait for the higher powered M1-X variants promised and now delivered. And if we know Apple, these new MacBooks will have similar and possibly even better margins than the iMac. Certainly, the margins on added peripherals for a MacBook will be more than the iMac.

4. Adam Foster said:
    My MacBook Pro M1 Max comes fully loaded Nov 17 – Nov 24
    Yesterday It was for December 18th – 24th, I think.
    I really wanted a Mini M1 Max… I hope that is soon available!

• David Baraff said:
      The laptop config I ordered for my college kid now has a shipping time of 4 weeks earlier than yesterday.

5. David Baraff said:
    AAPL is up even more after yesterdays event.

It makes me oddly nervous when the market reacts rationally to Apple news.

• John Konopka said:
      I was shocked when just after they announced the M1 Max AAPL was up, not down. Every event I watch the stock price and it always goes down just after something gets announced.

I think the M1 Max and Pro are game changers. These are clearly supercomputers in a portable package; supercomputers that run all day on a battery. I am just in awe of the performance.

Apple highlighted content creation (video, games, 3D, etc.) but I think we’ll see these become the default computer for Wall Street analysts, medical imaging and all sorts of sciences that require hefty calculations.

6. Jonny T said:
    Crikey. For a
    _
    I thought PED had ordered a new MacBook!:

7. David Drinkwater said:
    What do Wall Street analysts need a computer for? They are clearly immune to data.

• Horace Dediu said:
      To analyze Apple all you need is a calculator.

October 20, 2021