Virtually live from Apple's 'Unleashed' event

For once, the Street bought both the rumor and the news. By the end of the presentation, Apple shares were up a $1 for the day.

All times Eastern...

1:50 And that's a wrap. (with safety procedures in the scroll) No MacMini, but otherwise pretty much what was predicted in terms of hardware. The two chips, however, were a revelation. At least to me.

1:48 Back to Tim in the field. Designing products for creatives. Thanking everybody at Apple. Stay safe and have a great day.

1:47 Back to John. Sumarizing. $1,999. $2,499. Order today, available next week.

1:45 "This beast of a machine" video. "Deafening" sound, really?

1:41 Mac performance bar charts. Graphics. Machine learning. Up to 16X faster than Intel. More streams than the Appalachians. 45 minutes before the first mention of the environment.

1:38 Trevor on facetime camera. ML-improved video. Audio. Improved, somehow. 6 speakers. Bigger woofers. Do people use Mac's built-in speakers a lot?

1:35 Kate on display. 24% Thinner border. The camera notch, check. ProMotion, check. Liquid retina display, check. 1000 nits sounds like a lot of lice.

1:30 Back to Craig. Back to John to talk about the new MacBook Pro. Video. MagSafe! 16 and 14 inch. Check. Fans. Ugh. Heavier than my air.  Physical keys promoted as an advance (as if the old touch keys weren't a disaster.)

MagSafe 3. New design.

Ports galore. Check.

1:27 Video: Developers on what they're doing with the new chips. These guys sound sincerely impressed.

1:24 Craig on how the new Macs will take advantage of the new chips. Threading multithread tasks or some such. For manipulating huge images. Core ML optimizations and other stuff way over my head. Major leap forward in security. (Wait, Apple's security wasn't already perfect?)

apple unleashed live blog1:22 Apple share price popped a bit during the M1 segment.

1:16 Johny does the M1 segment. Pro users who need more. GPU and CPU no longer separated. 3X bandwidth as M1. 5nm tech. 33.7 billion transistors. 10 core CPU. 70% faster than M1. Up to 2X paster GPU. This is the real deal.

One more thing... M1 Max. doubles the Pro! 57 billion transistors. This feels like overkill!

1:15 John Turnus. M1 Pro (so much for the M1X).

1:14 Tim introduces the Mac segment.

1:09 Susmito. Spacial Audio is not new. 3rd generation AirPods, with spacial audio, an extra control that I missed. That's what's new. Video with dancing and water. Sweat and water "resistant." New contour. Adaptive EQ. Battery life 6 hours., 5 min charging for another hour. MagSafe in the case. $179. I'm getting a pair!

1:08 Back to Tim. AirPods. Now most popular headphones in the world.

1:05 HomPod mini. (Watch, the original HomePod will have been disappeared.) Reminders, intercom. Old stuff. New colors.

1:04 Zane starts Apple Music segment. Siri playlists. Dinner party. Winding down. This is weak tea. Playlists, bah.

Voice Plan for $4.99, new lower-cost entry point. Not clear atfirst glance. what's left out.

1:03 AirPods mentioned. Mac and iPad. HomePod mini, Apple Watch, Apple Music.

1:02 Tim Cook in the field behind the Spaceship. Today: Music and the Mac.

1:00 Video. Old iMac. Guy at keyboard and mic. Looks like GarageBand. Music is laid down in tracks.

12:59 Music and light show speeds up...

12:56 Apple, which opened in the red, turned green in midmorning trading. Buy the rumor...

1. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    “Buy the rumor.”

???

Just buy. Apple will slay with this battery-sipping speed.

…AND they just obsoleted a ton of old hardware.

2. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    MagSafe channels Terminator:
    “I’ll be back.”

MagSafe channels MacArthur:
    “I shall return.”

MagSafe channels Pershing:
    “Nous voíla!”

3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Apple gives new meaning to
    Top Notch
    🙂

4. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    Insanely great products. Insanely oversold share price. Insane if one doesn’t take advantage of the opportunity.

5. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    MacBookPro:
    SD isn’t just for South Dakota anymore.

6. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Nitpicky?
    Apple’s M1 has 1600 Nits to choose from. And they’re witty, too.

October 18, 2021
    Holy Cow. The only thing the ‘Leakers’ got right was that there was going to be a processor name change. They completely missed everything else.

These are BEASTS.

Yeah, I’m a broken record, but think about it, 5G radios in Apple’s hands are going to be phenomenal. Come on 5G Airport Extreme. Who will need (want?) Cable internet access?

Last thought. I want an iMac with the M1 Pro, but by the time iMacs get the new processors they might be M2 Pros.

ps, I think Apple-branded Hearing Aids just took a giant step forward.

October 18, 2021
      There is no way Apple will be able to satisfy the demand for these during this quarter. The March quarter will be the first with 3 full months of availability. Lookout April earnings report.

8. John Konopka said:
    The entry video was very cool. An entire sound track assembled in Garage Band (made in a garage) using samples of sounds from all sorts of Apple products starting with the Bondi Blue iMac.

The M1 Pro Max is jaw dropping incredible. Not that many years ago this performance required a massive super computer costing millions of dollars and sucking up many kilowatts of power. And now you can carry it in a laptop. We didn’t get the flying cars they predicted but we did get fantastic supercomputers really cheap.

I think they said the Max has ~57 billion transistors (give or take). That is just mind boggling. It would be something if they managed to make just one for NASA. To think they are stamping these out like candy so that anyone who wants one can have it.

I too noticed that the share price popped when the M1 Max was announced. I think that is the first time I’ve seen the price go up after an announcement in a keynote.

October 18, 2021
      We didn’t get the flying cars they predicted

Who says? WS is reacting as though we did. There’s no ‘sell the news’ here.

• Darren DMW said:
      There was a nice clue when he recorded the sound of a MagSafe click. Good times.

9. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Transistorance is futile!

October 18, 2021
    I’m trying to order one, but the damn store keeps on timing out/failing!

October 18, 2021
      Finally got through… I ordered the ‘middle of the road’, M1 Max/24 core GPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB drive. They gave me $550 for my mid ’15 15″ i7 2.5ghz/1TB MB Pro. Delivery is the first week of December. (sigh… how can I wait???) Kinda pissed off that I couldn’t get through right when the store opened. Don’t know if that impacted delivery time for my particular model.

That’s probably overkill for what I’ll use it.

• Brent Maynard said:
        David, I ordered the exact same configuration. Still showing a first week of November ship date.

October 19, 2021
  11. Alan Hochstein said:
    I am bummed out. The M1 Pro Max blows away my Hackintosh.

Bragging rights.

In comments, here, i’ve discussed the mem/cpu bandwidth thing, and the overall architecture advantage enhanced by TSMC.

But that’s just foundation. Add Apple’s software; And the developer tools; And the developer programs; And the amazing developers, be they artists or programmers or both; And the well-heeled consumers.

And there’s tons more to come.

October 18, 2021
      Processor performance lightyears ahead of the competition. Add Apple’s software; And the developer tools; And the developer programs. Resulting in App performance being lightyears ahead of the competition.

Who says Apple’s 30% App Store fee is too high? Sweeney has stepped on his d*** real hard. Gamer developers are rewriting everything for the M1Max. If you are a gamer you want the competitive edge that a Mac LAPTOP can give you over your opponents. Just wait for M1Max iMacs. Who would have ever thought Macs would own gaming.

I sorta feel sorry for Lenovo, Dell, and HP. Naw, not really.

October 18, 2021
  13. I ordered the AirPods (3rd Generation) at 2:09 p.m. Promised delivery for next Tuesday, eight days from now. These were expected at last month’s iPhone event, so I imagine they waited until they had built up a good supply.

14. Roger Schutte said:
    MacBook Pro 16” Pro arriving next week Tuesday!

15. Kathy Corby said:
    Yup. Ditto. I was on both the online store and the phone Apple Store app as soon as they came back up, ordered on both– both crashed, and by the time I got to place my order, shipping had slipped to Dec 10-23rd. Well, no question about pent-up demand, I guess..

• Robert Varipapa said:
      I started with delivery within a week but after crash got early November!

October 18, 2021
    Apple just proved: There’s Apple and then there’s everything else. Apple provides the best in: Watches, wireless hearing, personal computing, Smartphones, developer ecosystem, and cross platform integration.

And yet, they don’t “dominate” in any of the above.

October 18, 2021
    Just as it took analysts and investor 3 years to ‘get’ Apple’s services business, it will take a while for them to understand Apple’s silicon business. Note the market’s minor move, despite Apple proving that no other device maker will be able to catch up. They just can’t address the cost and power consumption advantage.

Further, like the services business, the developers will build things that we can only dream about today.

• Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Fred Stein —

“…despite Apple proving that no other device maker will be able to catch up.”

Hear-hear Fred.

And so it goes…and so it goes. It will take an extended time for the markets to “get it”.

18. Steven Philips said:
    Don’t overlook the note that it can run Windows faster than most Windows computers!

• Fred Stein said:
      Thanks Steven. I missed that.

That’s a big milestone in the Mac taking share in the enterprise; And one more incremental growth factor, that’s too small for analysts to talk about.

October 18, 2021

How long before Saccocrap is going to argue that the new Macs are incremental?

• Mordechai Beizer said:
      How do you see that working? There isn’t any Intel version of Windows that runs on Apple Silicon. My understanding is that it can run the ARM version of Windows but that does nothing for all those apps that require Intel architecture.

• Bart Yee said:
        So my question is when will Apple introduce the full blown Mac Pro desktops for the maximum major creative users like studios, movie makers, pre- and post production, special effects, etc. that need the absolute best in power, graphics, RAM (64-128-256-512GB or higher RAM), expandable SSD storage, and of course 2-3-4 or more XDR Video display support?

I’m talking about $2500 min up to $10-12K machines where performance at cost no object to replace existing Mac Pro desktops.

Imagine these with M1 Max, single, dual or even Quad processors, multiple graphics GPUs or cards, 5-10TB of SSD storage, and of course, native network capability and security.

The boundaries are then only in what the software applications can address. I have a strong feeling software and app developers are going to be working way overtime expanding and creating for these Apple MacBooks and Mac Pros.

19. Greg Lippert said:
    I’m so torn. I’m an iMac guy and use a iPadPro as my laptop but my big iMac is so long in the tooth I have been dying to upgrade. Yet…still…waiting…

Do I bite the bullet and get a 16” MacPro instead?

• Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Greg Lippert —

If you’re passionate about one format over the other — go/wait for that one.

😉

October 18, 2021
      Do I bite the bullet and get a 16” MacPro instead?

Just guessing here, but I’m thinking you meant to say “16” MacBook Pro”.

Now the question becomes a trade-off between screen real estate and mobility. The MacBook Pro has less real estate than the iMac, but more than the iPad. Which do you need more, the mobility of the MacBook Pro, or the mobility of the iPad?

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my Mac mini ever since Apple introduced the M-1 processor. I’m probably going to wait until the Spring to get the M-1 Max iMac. For what I use a desktop for (spreadsheets) the M-1 Max may be the last Mac I ever buy (at least until Apple introduces a 5G iMac).

• Fred Stein said:
      @Greg. As always, it depends on your needs.

But Apple made this clear: You can buy the MacBook Pro and get a real workstation that’s portable (way beyond traditional laptops). And if you need more screen real estate, just buy a monitor, or two for that matter.