Mr. Corman is one and done on Apple TV+

From Rick Porter's "‘Mr. Corman,’ Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Canceled at Apple TV+" posted Friday on The Hollywood Reporter:

Apple has canceled its dramedy Mr. Corman after a single season.

The news comes as the A24-produced series, starring and created by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, debuted its final episode on Friday. While Apple, like other streamers, doesn’t release viewing data on its shows, sources say Mr. Corman‘s audience fell short of some of Apple TV+’s other comedies.

The cancellation makes Mr. Corman just the second one-and-done series at Apple TV+ in its nearly two years of existence. The streamer also ended Little Voice after a single season but has otherwise extended most of its originals (with decisions still pending on some).

My take: I watched the first episode. It was unfunny. Apple made the right call.

Apple TV+ will become an amazing success several years after pundits declares a failure, just like most other Apple products and services.

WSJ has an article about Apple’s success in gaming, which also took years to grow into its current success.

October 2, 2021
  2. Miguel Ancira said:
    terrible show…it should not have been labeled a comedy

October 2, 2021
  3. Bob Goldstein said:
    Is there any consensus in the group about Foundation? I turned it off about 3/4 into the first episode. I generally like Science Fiction and I read Foundation when I was in high school

October 2, 2021
    • Hugh Lovell said:
      I just watched ep 3. I’m impressed and very much enjoying the show. It’s visually spectacular with stunning scenes and compositions. I like the multicultural casting, and I’d watch Jared Harris and Lee Pace read the phone book. I’m ok with the adaptation changing things as long as the story benefits, and I think here it does. I read the books years ago and am not planning on rereading. I’ll take this huge, multi-generation, galaxy-spanning story as it comes. Watch David Goyer’s promo interview about the adaptation. I hope he gets his eight seasons. Finally, I love the score. I’m a sucker for rich, melodic orchestral scores and this one, by Bear McCready is very good. I hope there’s an album release.

October 2, 2021
    • Steven Philips said:
      So far, not a fan. Even knowing the impossibility of turning Foundation into a movie, it just feels like it’s tacked in a bunch of TV clichés. Particularly the idiotic “romance”. (High production values just seem like lipstick on a pig.) (But… I’m not the best person to ask! I don’t really like most “Tv shows” and have actively DISliked most of AppleTV’s “Big” shows. My favorite so far being Home Before Dark – if that says anything! And I’m almost afraid to start the second season.

October 2, 2021
  4. Daniel Epstein said:
    Very few companies have a a better than even record in producing shows which end up being successful for long runs. The few hits that get created pay for numerous misses. At least in the traditional model of TV. Streaming services have a little different standard. What is interesting to me is how revealing the choices made by the company of the shows it puts on the air are to its taste and interests. Are they willing to take a stand to be interesting or are they going for bland? I don’t think Apple is quite sure yet. They may just go with what works but not convinced they are just pandering so far.

October 2, 2021
  5. Tom Farris said:
    As a SF guy from teenage years I have a fairly high expectation level of any SF show. Foundation. In today’s CGI driven imagery it is all too easy to get absorbed by the “look” and end up ‘overlooking’ the “feel”. Intimacies in SF also are as questioned above, just pandering IMO. For a long term SF story I don’t need a 10 – 20 minutes worth of ‘bed romp’ to become assured of characters supposed/real commitment to one another. You’re just wasting my time with it. Better I should see a Doritos commercial. The passing of the torch by Empire, was interesting, but might have been better handled by ‘look backs’ from later shows if they are actually of any significance to the story. So far I’m at 3 and done. I guess that having grown up where all the problems are solved by the end of the hour (or the half hour) I lose interest unless you’ve got a good enough cliff-hanger. Gun Smoke vs Lonesome Dove…I just have too many other things in life that have my attention.

October 4, 2021