Rachel Maddow slams Apple and Google (video)

Not sure why you should care why they removed a Russian-language app from their app stores? Maddow will set you straight.

Six minutes snipped from Friday’s The Rachel Maddow show:

My take: Can’t find anyone whose permission I can ask for posting this. Easier to ask forgiveness.

See also: Apple and Google cave to Kremlin, disappear Smart Voting app

“bleep” her! “Apple follows the law in all the countries we operate.”

Madow is yet another of those talking heads who refuse to acknowledge that other countries have other laws different from what she -thinks- the law should be.

Upvoted you.

A diatribe without a solution isn’t intellectual, it’s dishonesty from a bully pulpit.

2. Rodney Avilla said:
    I commend you for wanting to have a variety of viewpoints, but for me, I would be embarrassed to use Rachel Maddow as a source of information. For anything. Except for maybe extreme view points.

3. Michael Goldfeder said:
    So it appears that Rachel is advocating for how Russians ought to vote and the slate of candidates preferred. Isn’t the role of a journalist to report the news and not interject themselves or skew the news?

Apple is obligated to follow the laws of the country where they are allowed to conduct business. While Rachel Maddow is entitled to her own opinion, as is everyone, using her social media platform to advocate for anyone as to how to vote isn’t journalism IMO.

I’d have some modicum of respect for Maddow if she went to Russia and had a “Tiananmen Square” moment like that poor sole in China. Do as I say, not as I do from the confines of my cozy well heeled lifestyle.

September 18, 2021
    Rachel has the same business model as Google – sell ads. Her formula is facts plus outrage plus blame – in this case Apple and Google.

Let’s remember that the App did appear, albeit briefly. Therein lies the benefit of Apple and Google being in Russia instead of out. As Tim Cook has said, “It’s better to be at the table.”

September 18, 2021
  5. Democracy & rule of law died in Russia years ago. Nerve agents intimidate prospective candidates. A bit late to assign blame to anyone outside Putin & the oligarchs. Her logic also fails: argumentum ad ignorantiam She fails to meet the burden of proof, a common concern with talking heads these days.
    We need to step back for a moment of self-reflection.
    I seem to recall the government of a major Western nation, plus a healthy majority of that nation’s citizens, all in a uproar over Russia’s use of social media, hacking and specific smartphone app content to sway an election in that nation. Does anyone else remember this episode? Hint: Russia meddles in the politics of many nations.

Democracy & rule of law died in Russia years ago

Russia has never had a democratic government. The closest it came to that was under the Mensheviks before Lenin and the Bolshevism took control.

Without a culture of rule of law and the attendant institutions to support them the Mensheviks were easy pickings to be forced out of office.

As a country we are extremely fortunate. Our founders created a government to protect their rights and property. In doing so they created a Constitutional framework that could protect everyone’s rights. It’s just that it’s taken another near 300 years for legal interpretations to catch up with the way our constitution was written.

September 18, 2021
    Interestingly and as expected, Ms. Maddow gives us know plausible solution for Apple & Google’s response to the demands of an authoritarian regime. She just throws us the problem.

There is a quotation attributed to Benjamin Franklin of which I often am reminded: “…. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” The good Mr. Franklin here envisioned the well armed lamb as the press & media.

I often believe Tim C knows this infamous quote attributed to Mr. Franklin as Tim often reminds us that Apple adheres to the laws of the country in which it operates. The iPhone is the weapon-of-choice for the lambs of Russia. They must not lose their iPhones or be stripped of their iPhones. The Internet, smartphones and digital cameras can transmit images over the Internet in the blink-of-an-eye making possible a nation of Apple storytellers; and making every lamb a Tomas Paine. Let the man in the big house in Moscow think that over. Tim C has given it much thought, I believe.

Tim C knows it’s not a top-down story anymore. Other folk are going to write the story from the ground up and the truth will follow. Apple’s iPhone is the weapon-of-choice for the lambs of the world. We must keep that weapon in the hands of the lambs.

7. John Konopka said:
    Perhaps they could make it a web app or website like in Hong Kong? They still need to deal with Russian control of the internet there.

Is MSNBC aired in Russia? Not if Putin doesn’t approve.

September 18, 2021
      Mebbe that says something significant about the different readerships of NYT and PED.

September 18, 2021
        And Techmeme is just a summary of Tweets? You-all know how much I despise Twitter.

September 18, 2021
        • Techmeme aggregates both headlines and tweets. Very useful for someone like me. I was referring to the 40 headlines, not the tweets (too many to count).

• Jonny T said:
      You have created an interesting little community Philip!

September 21, 2021
  8. “The Navalny app has continued to work on Apple and Android phones for those who had already downloaded the software.” – NYT 9/17/21

• Adam Foster said:
      That was going to be my question. Does it lose any function after being unavailable at the App Store? Hasn’t most everybody who wants it downloaded it already? I sure hope so!
      What is the name of the App? I would like to download it and see what it does…

September 19, 2021
  9. Timothy Smith said:
    I suspect Putin had the means to shut down these apps. It might have been messy, but I think he could do it. And I’m pretty sure, no matter what the real vote is, Putin will somehow win. That’s how kleptocracies work.
    Besides, I think to myself, how can Americans complain about Putin for cheating, when we allow gerrymandering specifically designed, and successfully implemented, to defeat majority vote? Gerrymandering is allowed because a majority of judges, who were selected by a minority of voters, using different rules, said so. (For example, majority elected presidents cannot appoint within a year of an election, but minority elected presidents can appoint within a month of an election) I’d like Apple and Google to use their power to bring democracy back to the US.
    But if Apple had said, “Fuck you” to Putin, I would have been proud. Apple’s actions here make me feel a little less anxious about my investment. But I don’t feel proud.

10. Greg Lippert said:
    Although RM is a bit out there she does have a good point.

When the governments law is to suppress their own people’s vote/voice, and keep themselves in power, maybe that law is not kosher.

This was in issue not to cave on. What is Russia’s leverage? Kick them out of the country? And replace them with what? Inferior Chinese products with no OS? That’s a tech hit that I’m not sure they can afford to take.

Take away everyone’s iPhone and then you’ll really see an unpopular gov’t!!!

September 19, 2021
  11. Thomas Larkin said:
    Like so many here, I just can’t accept what I believe is a fundamentally flawed notion, that Apple withdrawing from Russia would be good for Russian Citizens-Apple users. IMHO it’s obvious that would just further cut off and isolate the people all the holier-than-thou pontificators claim to care about.

September 19, 2021
  12. bas flik said:
    most people in russia supports putin and like to suffer. thats the problem of Navalny.

September 19, 2021