Big Apple event bored Adrian Kingsley-Hughes

From Kingsley-Hughes’ “iPhone launches are boring because Apple has no competition” posted Tuesday on ZDNet:

So, there we have it, a new iPhone. The iPhone 13.

For for what is essentially the most powerful, most sophisticated smartphone in the world, the launch was boring.

Why?

Because Apple has no competition.

Nothing comes close.

Tech is exciting when companies are actively competing against one another. That’s when we see real pushing back of boundaries. But what we saw today was an event where Apple was shadowboxing against an image of itself a year ago…

Even the iPhone event itself felt stale, with presenters repeating the same talking points about cameras, processors, and battery life.

It’s clear that the only thing that’s driving Apple forward is being better than the previous year. That’s all it needs to do.

From FOB Bartley Yee, who recommended the item:

Well, someone gets it.

1. In my case the iPhone 13s Max is competing against an earlier iPhone model & Nikon’s latest models. These devices are getting more use than my Macbook Pro. I don’t own a TV set so I guess these electronics might be putting a squeeze on some TV sales. Cable TV futures may not be so upbeat. I’m still amazed by the way Wall St still considers HP, Dell & Lenovo as Apple’s biggest competitors.

September 15, 2021
      HP, Dell & Lenovo

In my opinion, in 10 years One of these computer manufacturers will not exist, having been absorbed by one of the other two. Don’t know which it will be, although my guess is that it will be Dell.

September 15, 2021
      • Robert Stack said:
        Gregg: If I was giving advice to Michael Dell, I’d tell him to shut down the company now and distribute any remaining cash to shareholders… 🙂

September 15, 2021
      • Alan Birnbaum said:
        Will the money be returned to thei shareholders? /s

September 15, 2021
    I do wish and do believe it would be better if Apple had more competition for multiple reasons. At some point I fear regulators honing in own this aspect of Apple dominance.

September 15, 2021
  3. Bill Haymaker said:
    They seem to have pretty healthy competition for talent. “It appears Apple has not changed the CPU much this generation. SemiAnalysis believes that the next generation core was delayed out of 2021 into 2022 due to CPU engineer resource problems. In 2019, Nuvia was founded and later acquired by Qualcomm for $1.4B. Apple’s Chief CPU Architect, Gerard Williams, as well as over a 100 other Apple engineers left to join this firm. More recently, SemiAnalysis broke the news about Rivos Inc, a new high performance RISC V startup which includes many senior Apple engineers. The brain drain continues and impacts will be more apparent as time moves on. As Apple once drained resources out of Intel and others through the industry, the reverse seems to be happening now.”

September 15, 2021
      Nobody wants a staff comprised of second stringers. That Apple is being raided attests to the quality of its teams.

Am I worried about it? No, it’s in Apple’s DNA to hire and nurture the best. There are plenty more out there. Apple will find them, hire them, nurture them, and get more out of them that they themselves thought possible.

September 15, 2021
  4. Horace Dediu said:
    Every time an expert complains a cash register rings.

September 15, 2021
    • Rodney Avilla said:
      And personally I believe this is true because of primarily Tim Cook. He does not deny or run from problems. He solves them, in ways the critics didn’t see possible.

September 15, 2021