WSJ takes a deep dive into Apple product placement (video)

From Kenny Wassus’ “Hundreds of iPhones Are in ‘Ted Lasso.’ They’re More Strategic Than You Think.” posted Monday on wsj.com:

Watch an Apple TV+ show and you’re likely to notice a lot of iPhones, iPads and other Apple products. We analyzed 74 episodes of the streaming service’s top shows, including “Ted Lasso,” and “The Morning Show,” to better understand the strategy behind all that product placement.

Cue the video:

My take: Brilliant.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this item misattributed the story to the animator. Although the animation on the video is also brilliant.

1. John Konopka said:
    Hmmm, I didn’t notice any product placement in “Dickinson” or “For All Mankind”. 😉

September 13, 2021
      It’ll be interesting to look for futuristic iPhones in The Foundation Trilogy 🙂

September 13, 2021
    • Darren DMW said:
      Look again. I am pretty sure Kelly Baldwin typed her uni entrance letter on a classic Mac of some flavour.

September 13, 2021
  2. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Wha?

Isn’t it such in real life?

(Maybe I’ve been a happy  investor too long.)

September 13, 2021
    • Darren DMW said:
      In my neck of the woods, yes.

September 13, 2021
  3. Timothy Smith said:
    Remember the Macs on Seinfeld?

September 13, 2021
  4. Robert Stack said:
    @PED: WSJ posted this video to youtube:

September 13, 2021
  5. Robert Stack said:
    If anyone from Apple reads PED’s site, here’s something for you (meaning marketing!) to consider:

It occurred to me that you COULD “sneak in” a quick (and perhaps oblique!) view of a new product on any of the hit Apple TV shows just days before its upcoming launch event. This would create a great deal of fun, “buzz” and much additional press coverage as the world seeks to interpret what was seen. For example, we all know new iPhones are being unveiled tomorrow – what if on the Ted Lasso show that aired on Friday eve we all got a quick glance at Ted using an iPhone13’s camera to take a pic of Sam hugging Jaime? That’s all that would be revealed – just enough for folks to realize that the new iPhone13 will have new cameras (which we already know) and of course this reveals nothing about what else the new phone has or is capable of. Apple could have a lot of fun with this – and reveal only as much as it wants to reveal. I’m sure everyone here could think of many ways that they could use this strategic product placement in their shows for fun and to great effect! 🙂

September 13, 2021
  6. Darren DMW said:
    And marketing 101 also says don’t show someone else’s product and give them the free publicity.

September 13, 2021
    • Bart Yee said:
      Unless you want to throw shade at another brand. Supposedly, no villain uses an iPhone so there could be many lines like:
      Villain: “I use a BlackBerry because no one bothers to hack it anymore”

“I got a bunch of these on the cheap when the new models came out. We still have to be frugal until we crack the cryptocode.”

“Nobody FaceTimes me anyway.”

September 14, 2021