Kara Swisher: ‘Apple is never going to outrun this’ (video)

1. Lalit Jagtap said:
    Agree. I used to read her opinion but not worth anymore. Because she is so sure about the future of App Store based on South Korea. Has she figured out what happens with “Chinese’s Android OS”? Has she reflected what GDPR delivered to consumers?

August 30, 2021
  2. Australia’s in the fray too. But David Thall is spot on! Cook & co. knew this storm was approaching. $600/hour lawyers aren’t their only option. Alliances with GOOG, the other 600lb gorilla in a rather small space at the top helps. Yet there are multifarious burgeoning income streams from sources not even tied to App Store. An observer almost needs to go into Low Earth Orbit (LEO) to see all that’s growing in Apple’s supposedly walled garden.
    That said, I did fund my SEPP today, like every month. Getting $153.15/share was fun, today…

August 30, 2021
    Yes Apple regulates and if you will ‘taxes’ the App World. This tempts a comparison to govt regulation and tax. (But let’s keep this superficial.)

Apple’s regulation, like govt regulation, is meant primarily to protect the people. Their regulation is fair and they do a better job than the other digital platforms.

Apple’s ‘tax’ policy is also fair. There’s no tax on 85% of the Apps, many of which are very lucrative such ride sharing, banking front-ends etc. Lower income Apps pay only 15%.

August 30, 2021
    To Kara, from Investopedia:

“A duopoly is a situation where two companies together own all, or nearly all, of the market for a given product or service. A duopoly is the most basic form of oligopoly, a market dominated by a small number of companies. A duopoly can have the same impact on the market as a monopoly if the two players collude on prices or output.”

August 30, 2021
  5. Michael Goldfeder said:
    All of this proposed regulation while making the big media splash IMO will not the move the needle when it comes to consumers choosing to stay protected inside the Apple secured ecosystem.

At the end of the day all of these chest pounding regulations will amount to nothing more than useless accomplishments that produced no tangible results as the end users are happy and satisfied.

August 31, 2021
  6. Thomas Larkin said:
    On South Korea’s new law, as a consumer, I can’t imagine ever wanting to buy an app from a developer that wants to push me into any payment system other than Apple’s, in Apple’s App store. In fact I”m happy to pay more for the security of knowing who is, and isn’t getting information about my transaction, or activity on the web. If a developer has another option and I can choose to either use that alternate system or not, I’ll pay a little more simply because I trust Apple with my data, others not so much. I don’t think I’m alone in this regard. A developer that doesn’t give me the choice to use Apple’s system likely won’t ever see a dime from me, and I will have no sympathy whatsoever if they quickly go out of business for choosing anything other than my choice and my privacy first.

August 31, 2021
    • Bart Yee said:
      Exactly, plus I would rather have the option of Apple Pay directly with Apple to provide me with news to end security, and less entities knowing about my transaction the better. I have no interest in allowing my purchasing habits to be known or sold as data.

August 31, 2021
  7. Bart Yee said:
    However, in S Korea as well as the US, IMO typically it will be young males who are more likely gamers that will engage in risk behavior by choosing alternate pay systems, and invariably some (possibly unscrupulous) developers will create (or be hacked into) a payment system that will do unsavory thing with payment information, account access, maybe even cryptocurrency, identify, or financial theft. Not to mention potential tie-in access to your device with potential malware, bot, or remote infiltration.

Reason? Because once you take yourself outside of Apple’s curation and management, you expose yourself to everything that’s out there to one degree or another. “Oh, I’m tech savvy enough to avoid that”, “these websites, game developers, and third parties would never hurt me, they are the ones fighting Big Apple”, and the classic “so what, I don’t have anything they want.”

Go outside Apple’s fortifications, fine, take your chances. You think these app developers have better experience and defenses against fraud or attack than Apple? Just don’t come running to Apple to 1) complain about why Apple couldn’t protect you, 2) complain how Apple can’t or won’t fix your device after it get affected or bricked, and 3) reimburse any losses you incurred by using non-Apple vetted payment systems or software.

Take the consequences of your actions and don’t whine when reality strikes.

August 31, 2021