How superstitious are Apple's customers?

One in five iOS users told a survey they hope Apple won't be calling its next model the unlucky iPhone 13.

From AppleInsider's "Nearly 75% of Apple users don't want an 'iPhone 13,'" more than half not excited about iOS 15" posted Monday:

A total of 74% of respondents in the survey, which was carried out by SellCell, said they hoped "iPhone 13" will be named something else. The respondents also voted for the best potential name, with "iPhone (2021)" taking the top spot with 38% of the vote. Only about 18% of respondents actually have superstitions about the number 13, however. That represents one in five Apple users.

Name aside, most Apple users appear ready to wait for the next iPhone to debut. According to the survey, 64% said they'd skip purchasing an iPhone now to wait for new models to debut in the fall...

SellCell surveyed more than 3,000 iPhone and iPad users aged 18 years and older in the U.S. The survey was conducted between June 10 and June 15, 2021.

My take: What, Apple should go straight to 14, like a hotel elevator?

1. Abhinav Davuluri said:
    They skipped iPhone 9…

June 22, 2021
  2. Gary Gouriluk said:
    It’s time for names, not numbers.

June 22, 2021
    Doesn’t bother me one way or another.

Of course a moniker like 12S solves everything.

June 22, 2021
  4. XIII
    13 is a baker’s dozen & a Fibonacci number. I seriously doubt Infinite Loop eschews treize.

June 22, 2021
  5. Eric Lambeth said:
    They should call it the thirteen and in every box have a tiny ‘well packaged’ vial of salt to throw over your left shoulder before using the phone. Or a faux rabbits foot.

June 22, 2021
  6. Michael Goldfeder said:
    After Apollo 13, that number should no longer be imprinted on anything Apple.

June 22, 2021
  7. Daniel Epstein said:
    Given that Apple plans things out way ahead of time I am sure they have been thinking about what they like. 13 should be the last bad number for a while. Probably should research if the Chinese have any issues. If they are concerned about 13 I have no problem them calling it the 14. Or the 12 S. Kind of depends on how big the change is. Cars always seem to use the year number and a name. I was thinking that very few Apple devices have reached this many generations of released product. I don’t like the way Ipad designations work as they age. I think the Iphone is the only one that still seems to use a number most of the time. Also I think surveys like this should publish the margin of error data up fron so we can judge how seriously to take it.

June 22, 2021
    • John Konopka said:
      There are two ways to look at it. Many people may not feel very superstitious about 13, but on the other hand, it doesn’t inspire them to want one as much as another name would.

Names can also be problematic. In the US car companies like to use aggressive names like Cougar or Challenger or Ram. In Japan they use softer names like Bluebird and Fairlady.

A product manager in Japan once asked me how it would be if they named their very serious scientific instrument “Mr. Softy”. I think he arrived at this because it used a lot of software. I told him no, in the US this a kind of kids ice cream.

Different cultures have different unfortunate numbers. Chinese dislike the number 4. Japanese dislike 4 and 9. In both cases the pronunciation sounds like the word for death. Japan, in particular, uses (in my opinion having lived there a while) very short, often single syllable, words for things. This leads to many phrases having multiple readings so context is extremely important. It also adds a lot of richness in life. As I recall, they would make up little phrases out of the sounds of numbers as a memory aid. Hard to do in English.

Agree with the others. Pretty soon Apple has to give up using numbers and find another way to identify iPhones and iPads and such. When we get up to iPhone 22 it will just be silly. Maybe they should just go with iPhone (year) like the MBP and iMac.

June 22, 2021
    • Arthur Cheng said:
      Chinese has no issue with 13. On the other hand, in Cantonese, 14 sounds like “certain death”.
      Numbers on consumer goods has little effect, look at iPhone 4. I don’t think the sales suffered much in China or Japan.

June 23, 2021