Ming-Chi Kuo has a new Apple glasses roadmap

First the “mixed reality” headset (2022), then eye glasses (2025), then contacts (2030-2040).

From MacRumors’ “Kuo: Apple to Launch Mixed Reality Headset in Mid 2022 and Augmented Reality Glasses by 2025” posted Sunday:

Kuo said the headset will be “portable,” with independent computing power and storage, but not truly “mobile” like an iPhone. “When the technology improves, we believe that the new helmet product can also enhance its mobility,” he said.

Kuo believes Apple’s headset has the potential to provide an “immersive experience that is significantly better than existing VR products.”

Kuo said the glasses will provide an “optical see-through AR experience,” and will be positioned as more of a “mobile” product than the mixed reality headset. “While the helmet provides a great immersive experience, the glasses focus more on providing a ‘mobile + AR’ experience,” he said. Kuo is looking forward to the Apple Glasses integrating with the long-rumored Apple Car, which is likely several years away.

Last, Kuo looked far into the future and predicted that Apple will launch “contact lenses” at some point after 2030. He said this product will bring electronics from the era of “visible computing” to “invisible computing,” but offered no further details.

My take: None dare call it industrial espionage.

See also: How reliable is Ming-Chi Kuo?

This kind of product info (2 – 5 years out) is not known to Apple’s manufacturing partners. Ergo, to get it Kuo requires direct access to Apple’s executive committee. Didn’t and won’t happen. The best that can be said of this is that Kuo has been smoking some really good stuff.

The second best thing that can be said of this missive is that Apple is constantly researching new technologies, most of which will never see the light of day. So is Apple working on these technologies? Probably, but there is no way one could determine the purpose/use Apple has in mind for them, if anything.

March 7, 2021
  2. Michael Goldfeder said:
    Perhaps his next article will predict how the Apple iCar will be just like the vehicle from the cartoon: “The “Jetson’s, and it will fold up into a briefcase. Who knows what Apple is working on at any point in time? The guessing game is fun to follow.

March 7, 2021
  3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    These two beams of rumours gettin’ me crosseyed & driving erratically LOL.

March 7, 2021
  4. Peter Kropf said:
    As far as the Executive Suite is concerned, I think they’d leak this rumor as a means to minimize FaceBook’s product sales.

After all, Z told his Suite “We need to inflict pain…”.

Vaporware leaking could be payback.

JMHO

March 7, 2021
  5. Ralph McDarmont said:
    I know I keep posting the same dream but I want Apple hearing aids. With Apple’s engineering resources Tim could upgrade and convert AirPods in a week. Very lucrative niche that fits perfectly with Tim’s focus on healthcare and Apple gadgets already developed. With Siri and an iPhone nearby you could probably do real time language translation, too. But for now I just want to hear well thanks to a quality innovative manufacturer.

March 7, 2021
    • Alan Levy said:
      I’ve also thought this is an easy roadmap choice. Not the full blown replacement but a good enough enhancer at 1/10th the cost to grab boomers with just some hearing loss. Surprised it hasn’t happened. Wanted to short the existing manufacturers after having missed the chance to short Swiss watchmaker companies (which lost, what, half their market share when the Apple Watch came on the scene). Still may happen.

March 7, 2021
      I want Apple hearing aids

I didn’t realize how much my hearing had deteriorated until I got my Air Pod Max. I now wear them practically all day long: iPad/Apple TV video consumption, music, NPR News, cell phone calls. Only time I take them off is when I’m face to face with others. Except for that I can’t imagine hearing aids giving me as much satisfaction.

March 7, 2021
    I never really grasped fully beyond “gaming,” the day-to-day functionality that AR/VR eye ware or head-set have for the typical consumer. I grasp the Watch. I grasp the iPhone. I grasp the iPad. What would cause me to spend $1,000 plus to walk around with an AR/VR glass or headset every day???? Until I get an explicit answer to that question it all just remains nebulous and of little interest to me, no matter the plethora of rumors.

March 7, 2021
    • Bart Yee said:
      Well Jerry, imagine if Apple can come up with lenses that basically allow your displayed field of view as wide as a pair of 22″ monitors (that’s what I’m sitting in front of as I type). Imagine the image you see appears to be about 2 feet in front of you and is legible for reading. Imagine you can see widgets and things you use most – iMessage, Mail, Stocks, etc. and you can call them up – verbally via SIri, or some other sort of personal input. At a literal glance any time you want, you’re seeing information (without the limitation of pulling out your phone, a “small” display, touch interface, app swapping, etc. And your device can show you info about the world around you IF you want that, or destination/map/directions/info etc.

I don’t know how they will do that, but if it can be done, Apple will find an intuitive, User-interface centric way to. No VCR/DVD hunt/peck menus, no keyboard, not even a device, but maybe hand gestures (Minority Report), finger reach via LIDAR, who knows. Disrupting the iPhone with iVision ™ could be the next big thing. Tie it into the power of iPhone, or AppleCar ™ and there’s even more.

March 8, 2021
  7. bas flik said:
    personally i think all those glasses / helmets projects are money bleeders. the brain does not like it. VR is terrible for the brain. VR is failing already 30 years. last week i watched 3d movie on samsung tv only 30 minutes. 2 days terrible headache. also 3d failed all the time already 75 years. why people invented contact lenses if they were fond of glasses so much?
    ask fighter pilots how long they have to train to master looking through glasses with projections on it.

i have more faith in apple watch. new shape and higher price. people are used to pay high prices for watches.
    also earpod can be extended as medical device to counter hearingloss or to mask tinnitus.

March 7, 2021
      • Kirk DeBernardi said:
        @ Horace Dediu —

It’s on your face.

To quote the bard, “Aye…that’s the rub”.

Apple can’t design that away.

March 8, 2021
  8. Warren Zimmerman said:
    It is so difficult to get people younger people to wear glasses and not contacts. Older people may need new prescriptions regularly as well as multi focal lenses. Then the prescription has to be able to be put into the lenses along with the frames, and they have to be stylish and acceptable. I don’t think it will ever become a big item in glasses. As for contacts, the lenses would have to be daily disposable because no one wants to go back to disinfecting contacts. I can’t imagine electronics being put into daily contacts in all powers and combinations including astigmatism when needed. None of this will be a big product in my opinion.

March 8, 2021