The Information on Apple 3.0’s business model

From “Content Alone Will Kill the Creator Economy” ($), posted to The Information’s subscribers Monday.

While it’s easy to start a newsletter, podcast or online course, it turns out that running a content business is hard. Really hard. In fact, content may be the single worst digital subscription model a solo entrepreneur can choose.

Even if you love writing, speaking, performing or teaching, to make content the cornerstone of your digital subscription empire in an age of extreme competition for attention is a recipe for pain and heartache.

While Ben Thompson, the most successful solo media mogul of the genre, has made this model work with Stratechery, he’s also a special human being. Just ask Heather Cox Richardson, arguably the second most successful email newsletter writer in this new form. Her schedule is unsustainable, requiring her to burn the midnight oil to keep her audience engaged…

It’s not an exaggeration to say that the internet—and more broadly software—have produced the most valuable businesses in history.

It turns out one key dynamic has made this possible and is responsible for 70% of the business value generated by software.

It’s called a network effect. While there are different flavors, it basically means that the value of a network increases for every person in that network with each new member who joins and contributes.

1. Nicholas Watland said:
    I really enjoy this site Philip…… It’s usually the first place I go when I start my day to find out what’s going on in Apple World. I can’t put a price on what I’ve learned through your posts and additional insight gained through the commenters (even though I don’t agree with most of you politically…. Haha!). Thanks again for your efforts!

2. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    “My take: That’s my model. Hoping that you will come for the content and stay for the conversation.”

I’ll go out on a limb here PED and say that’s why we’re all here.

A cozy clubhouse cottage of challenging conversation — 😉

Geaux 

3. Jacob Feenstra said:
    You have a good formula going, Philip. There are are various aspects to CONTENT:

– Subject, as in: Apple
    – What’s being said about Apple: relevance
    – How digestible is it: PED bring things in snack-format and my schedule can handle that
    – Who frames the issue and how: as in My take…
    – Who responds to this: this community is pretty important to me (some voices I’ve heard for many years such as Joseph, Fred, Jerry, etc)

4. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    I came, I saw, Mr. PED conquered.
    Thanks for letting me into the Cool Kids Club.

5. Jim Moskun said:

I have been listening in to some very interesting conversations on clubhouse lately and the thought came to mind that it might be pleasant time spent once a week if PED hosted a room in clubhouse to continue the Apple 3.0 conversation, literally.

March 1, 2021
    • ” it might be pleasant time spent once a week if PED hosted a room in clubhouse to continue the Apple 3.0 conversation, literally.”

I’ve been poking my head into Clubhouse conversations for a couple weeks. Very interesting new medium! I’m game to try hosting one. How about we start with a meet and greet and see where it goes from there? We could organize it on Slack. Question: How many of you have Clubhouse memberships and would be interested in such a thing? Click the star if you do and are.

March 1, 2021
        There would have to be a truly compelling reason how “Clubhouse” is significantly different from the existing set of PED3.0 mechanisms. I’m NOT looking to add Yet Another Social Media account (and that’s withOUT considering the likely surveillance aspect of a new system)

6. Robert Stack said:
    And let’s not forget: There’s one more thing… 🙂

Thanks also to PED for what he’s not selling: ads and/or our personal information. If you want quality journalism without the BS, you have to be willing to pay for it. I don’t know about the rest of you, but there is only one other site on the web that has similarly earned my respect – and support!

March 1, 2021
  7. “there is only one other site on the web”

I’ll bite. What site is that? (Although I think I can narrow it down to a few.)

• Robert Stack said:
      OK: It’s Talking Points Memo. Definitely on the left politically, but it’s not “fake news” and for various reasons I need to be well-informed politically. Founder Josh Marshall has very high standards for truth and accuracy, rants against both Fox News and NY Times when warranted, and has assembled a top-notch team of dedicated reporters who are never afraid to speak truth to power. Whether it’s Cuomo or the Orange Man.
      I have a “Prime” membership, which like your site, comes with added “perks” like access to live discussions, interviews, etc. (Which like 3.0, I haven’t yet taken advantage of!) If you are not a Prime member, some of the content at TPM is still available but served up with ads – I believe. To keep things – ahem – fair and balanced, I also regularly read Fox News AND the NY Times (and even WaPo, Politico, The Hill, and others). IMO, in terms of quality of reporting, TPM is at the top of the pack!

• Robert Stack said:
        Not sure where to file this bit of trivia, nor what it means: A few years back Josh Marshall revealed that the vast majority of TPM’s Prime members (now more than 30,000!) logged into the site from Apple computers – far out of proportion to Mac users in the general populace.

8. Michael Goldfeder said:
    Thanks to PED this is the best Apple site ever! A huge shout out to all of the members who post and add to the Apple information flow. It really adds to the experience.

Again, thank you “Jerry”for posting that App Store discount way back when you did as that was the incentive for me to come on board and elevate myself from “lurker” status. When you receive, it’s only proper to give back.