With 51 original shows to stream, Apple TV+ may have reached critical mass

Jamie Elricht and Zack van Amburg — hired from Sony less than four years ago — have been busy.

I’ve streamed less than one fifth of Elricht and van Amburg’s output — two films, six series, one documentary and one adult cartoon — a musical about Central Park.

All were first-rate. A couple were among the best shows I’ve seen in years.

I’ve dipped my toes into handful of their other offerings. They may not have been my cup of tea, but I could tell from the trailers that they weren’t junk. And from watching trailers in the process of assembling the list below, I’ve added several more titles to my must-watch list.

My point is that if you’ve been waiting to use your free trial, not sure if Apple TV+ is worth $5 a month, now might be the right time to check it out. New seasons of their best shows, delayed because of COVID, are just around the corner. Even the critics who bent over backwards to throw shade on Apple’s Hollywood adventure are starting to come around. Case in point:

From Josef Adalian’s “Apple TV+ Is Doing Better Than You Think” published a couple weeks ago in New York Magazine:

When you take a minute and break down exactly what Apple has pulled off on the programming front so far, I do not think it is hype to suggest it has been spending its billions wisely. If this were 2010 and Apple had launched a cable network instead of a streamer, I am pretty sure there would be stories in the Hollywood trades raving about the flashy upstart giving HBO and FX a run for their money…

That’s important because the Apple TV+ programming team set out to create a service whose aim was not unlike that of its premium cable predecessors: Subscribe to us, and even if you don’t particularly like every show we program, you will likely find a few you love while being confident most of what we offer will be well-produced and not total pablum. I would argue that so far, they have more than met that goal.

My take: Me too.

Below: Those 51 shows. (See Wikipedia and 9to5Mac for clickable listings.)

apple TV 51 shows

Click to enlarge.

See also:

Mariah Carey is an exceptional talent, I just think those talents were misapplied in her Christmas special. Breasts nearly falling out, attire split up to her sex and bump and grind dance routines don’t make me think of “dumplings dancing in their heads”.

February 20, 2021
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      @Gregg Thurman: You mean the special didn’t evolve around images of the Nativity scene? Sounds from your description as if the secular nature usurped the religious nature from which Christmas evolved, and therein lies “part” of the great cultural divide of our nation.

February 20, 2021
  2. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    Yet again, critics speak one language and misinterpret Apple’s strategic steps. Apple TV+ is quickly becoming a “value added” component of Apple One. The company’s decision to extend the free trial wasn’t necessarily a response to subscription weakness. It’s a gift to consumers in the midst of a pandemic. Apple TV+ is positioned as a digital content hub for consumers. The company also generates revenue from 3rd-party subscriptions acquired by consumers through the platform. It’s not and never was intended to be a standalone platform to compare to other streaming platforms such as Netflix. The content available from Apple is high-quality and thoughtful. Apple-provided content is integrated into a more comprehensive consumer solution. I use Apple TV as “central station” for all content selections. Apple-provided content is among the many choices.

February 20, 2021
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      @Robert Paul Leitao: “….It’s not and never was intended to be a standalone platform to compare to other streaming platforms such as Netflix.”

That statement may be correct Robert, but I suspect unfortunately, that analysts and the networks will continue viewing Apple TV+ as a competing platform with all other streaming platforms.

February 20, 2021
      • Robert Paul Leitao said:
        Jerry: I care far less what critics say and far more about how Apple performs. As a component of the company’s Apple One services bundle, I consider Apple TV+ a success. As a digital delivery platform, I see Apple TV as a big contributor to the Apple product user experience. I don’t know about you, but over the years if I followed the guidance of most critics I’d be using Facebook and typing this note on a Chromebook. I prefer to maintain some level of self-respect (and privacy!).

February 20, 2021
        • Jerry Doyle said:
          Robert Paul Leitao: No need to be defensive Robert. My contention is that how you or I see Apple TV+ as “not” a standalone platform for comparing with other streaming platforms, “that” perspective is not going to be how WS analysts or the media will see Apple TV+. So please, don’t shoot the messenger. Apparently, my feedback was something you preferred not to acknowledge.

February 21, 2021
          • Robert Paul Leitao said:
            Jerry: I’m not being defensive. I’m being matter-of-fact. I’m much more concerned with consumer understanding and appreciation of Apple’s product and services paradigm than I am with the point of view of entertainment industry critics and analysts. I’m a veteran of that industry. Apple will have already achieved success by the time industry critics figure out what happened. For Apple, it’s all about the customer. It’s not about the industry. Apple speaks a different language.

February 21, 2021
  3. Dan Scropos said:
    We’re looking for a series or two to compliment Ted Lasso and Servant. Does anyone have suggestions? Ted Lasso is one of the funniest shows we’ve ever watched. Remarkably well done.

February 20, 2021
    • Gary Morton said:
      Not for everyone tases if you just hate sci-fi, but if you like sci-fi or are on the fence, For All Mankind becomes quite good, and better as you watch each episode.

February 20, 2021
      • Alan Birnbaum said:
        Awaiting the Foundation series…

February 20, 2021
    • Bob Goldstein said:
      I find that their dramas are very thoughtful and interesting. I am currently watching Losing Alice which I like but probably not for everyone. I thought Tehran was excellent. The Morning Show got off to a slow start but became very good. I liked Servant and I’m planning to watch season two. Likewise with For All Mankind. Truth Be told was interesting. See is okay if you like Sci-Fi. Defending Jacob is worth watching. I enjoyed the films, The Banker, On the Rocks, and Palmer. There are many other series and films but these are the ones I have watched. I’m not saying their programming is the best but I do find it to be good and for the price of free a great deal

February 20, 2021