This week’s Apple trading strategies (2/15-2/19)

A place for Apple traders and investors to share their best ideas.

To get things rolling, here’s Mitch Steves, RBC’s new Apple analyst (replacing Robert Muller), setting a $171 price target and making the case on CNBC that Apple should become a cryptocurrency exchange.

Below: Apple vs. the S&P 500 (normalized)…

apple trading strategies 2-15

Disclosure: Although I am now an Apple shareholder (see Why I bought a share of Apple, my first), I am in no position to give trading advice. Don’t blame me if you drain your retirement account doing something you read about here.

See also last week’s trading strategies.

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Happy Valentine’s Day, Apple 3.0 peeps!

February 14, 2021
      A whole lot of GREEN is showing up on the world’s indexes this morning. To bad (for me anyway) this showing of strength didn’t show up earlier on Friday.

February 15, 2021
    Mitch asks, “Why go after vehicles which as massive CAPEX requirements?” Here is one perspective:

The automobile industry today is exposed to its legacy supply chain, as detailed b Semiwiki, below. Apple can take a fresh look deep into the supply. Apple has always been one of the first to remove old technology from their products, and often taking heat initially. This is one reason why the Mac is taking market share, decades later.

February 14, 2021
      This can be a Much Bigger problem for aircraft and avionics makers. I remember Boeing going into a panic and buying every 68000 chip on the market when Motorola stopped making them, because the cost to -recertify- an aircraft if they changed the chips was REALLY EXPENSIVE ($1B would not surprise me, based on what I’ve heard about software verification costs for aircrafts and flight components.)

February 14, 2021
        Eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later!), we’ll get to safety certification requirements for autonomous autos that achieve similar rigor to those used in the commercial (and military – albeit a different standard) industry. There’s no question that high reliability software costs more (but it’s less clear how much more, much depends on the rules for verifying the software.) But that’s a one-time cost.

February 14, 2021
    Last week wasn’t very nice to me. I’ve had a higher percentage of losing weeks since the election, than I’ve ever had in a full year. They coincide with political goings on/statements/actions in Wash, DC, but I can’t legitimately say they were the proximate cause.

I’m going to skip this week and hopefully put the turmoil of the past in the past, even though I believe $133.xx is the low until July, then resume next week.

Oh, I almost forgot, my Air Pod Max will be delivered tomorrow. It took a month from order (Space Grey). I can’t wait.

February 14, 2021
  4. David Drinkwater said:
    I hope that, at ~$135, Apple is buying AAPL like crazy. I would, but 30% of my portfolio is “enough” AAPL.

February 14, 2021