Jim Cramer on Rod Hall’s Apple call (video)

“There’s a guy — the Goldman Sachs guy — he didn’t really like it. He had to raise his price target because business is that good.”

From Friday’s episode of Jim Cramer Today:

The theme is that China is buying much more than we thought. Obviously Mac is much better too. Services is going to be great. But the fact that China sales are really really good is inspirational… Down $10 from where it was? I think that’s a terrific buy.

Cue the video. The Apple bit starts at the 4:50 minute mark.

My take: Cramer won’t even say the analyst’s name.

See also: Goldman Sachs raises Apple target $10 to Street-low $85 — updated

It’s Rowan & Matin’s Laugh-In with guests Ron Hall….

How does WS keep from busting out laughing whenever Hall speaks about AAPL?

January 15, 2021
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Gregg: As much as I don’t agree with Mr. Hall’s analysis or narrative, I do read what he publishes. At a minimum it’s a counterpoint to the views of other analysts. Comparing and contrasting viewpoints is helpful in my work. I neither laugh nor snicker. There’s too much work to do following Apple (if I’m serious about the work) to waste time doing anything more than reading through his narrative and estimates. Why bother with anything more?

January 15, 2021
    • Rodney Avilla said:
      “busting out laughing”
      What makes you so sure they don’t? I admit, if I see his name, I read it. Pure entertainment. Once you stick out your neck for so long, it doesn’t come back. He has been predicting, what would amount to a mini collapse of aapl, for so long, it would be almost impossible for him to change directions.

January 18, 2021
    I have no respect for Cramer, either. If he had any sense of journalistic responsibility, he’d call out Hall by name.

January 15, 2021
  3. Ken Cheng said:
    Isn’t Cramer a former “Goldman Sachs guy”?

January 15, 2021
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Ken: From what I’ve read, Mr. Cramer worked at Goldman Sachs from 1984 – 1987.

January 15, 2021
  4. Michael Goldfeder said:
    It’s a close knit club just like the NFL or college football coaching profession. You never know who you might need for a job after getting cut loose. That’s why they never say anything derogatory or else they won’t be able to stay on the coaching checkerboard.

January 15, 2021
  5. bas flik said:
    As a long i am always looking for narratives that can pursuede me to sell. untill now i could not find them. Compared to the valuations of recent ipo’s Apple is almost for free. i’ll stick to cashflow, profit and sharecount. is the only metric. rest is noise.

January 15, 2021
    Respectfully, I say poppy-cock to all this narrative stuff.

One has to consider the source’s track record. If a narrative perpetually isn’t descriptive of the account of events; or if the narrative one presents ceaselessly isn’t agreeing with the outcome, then at some point one has to realize that the source’s diegesis over time has become fictitious. Isn’t this true of the outgoing president repeated narratives? This is where Rod Hall stands today.

Rod Hall’s credibility relative to Apple’s price targets is “shot,” repudiated, defamed, pooh-pooh (as we see by Jim Cramer’s response) to where GS has to acknowledge the man’s incredibility.

I go along with Gregg Thurman. Rod Hall belongs on a Saturday Night Live skit; or it’s Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In time starring Rod Hall.

January 15, 2021
      “it’s Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In time”

In the words of the immortal Emily Litella: “Never Mind!”

January 16, 2021