Apple 3.0: Last chance to subscribe at the current rate

Come the new year, I’m raising my rates:

• $20 per month (from $10)
  • $200 per year (from $100 — $40 savings)
  • $500 for 3 years ($220 off the monthly rate)

Current subscribers have been alerted by email (and will have a chance to opt out when their sub expires). From that email:

Many of you have told me that you find value in my access to Apple analysts notes, in my quarterly earnings coverage and in the clean, troll-free space I’ve created to talk about Apple. If I’m over-estimating that value, I expect you will let me know.

Meanwhile, I’m going to try to earn the rate increase with new subscriber benefits — meet-and-greets, ask-me-anythings, quarterly earning Zooms — anything you want, within reason.

For lurkers sitting on the fence, ’nuff said.

1. Keith Hope said:
    “ Last chance to subscribe at the current rate …

I have a yearly subscription which expires in March.

Am I permitted to ‘subscribe [renew in my case] at the current rate’?

December 24, 2020
  2. Joe Murphy said:
    My take on this: Congratulations on making this call,

I suspect you may experience moments of doubt, but you made the right call.

Many of us encouraged you to make this call. Thanks for the heads up.

December 24, 2020
  3. Dale Raaen said:
    Well I guess if less than half of us cancel, you come out ahead. Stratechery $120 per year, PED 3.0 $200? Nah. See ya.

December 24, 2020
  4. Adam Foster said:
    PED,

I’m ready to sign up now for three years!

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

Adam

Sent from my iPhone ;-}

December 24, 2020
  5. nuvs said:
    I’m reaching the end of my first-ever subscription on Jan 3rd. I look forward to renewing at your new rates, PED!

December 24, 2020
  6. Michael Goldfeder said:
    I’ll be staying with Apple 3.0. No other site even comes close.

December 24, 2020
  7. Dan Scropos said:
    Sign me up for whatever price.

BTW—AirPods Max delivered today. These things are great! They aren’t over the ear. They’re AROUND the ear. What a huge difference. 9.5/10. My lone wish is that the max volume could be louder, but my hundreds of concerts have probably given me some small degree of hearing damage.

December 24, 2020
  8. Bart Yee said:
    When I renew my PED 3.0 subscription I think in February, the $200 will be less than 5% of one AAPL quarterly dividend. If I take the $500 3 year subscription, it will be less than 3% of the entire annual dividend for one year. I consider the information, discussion, and analysis here to be very much worth the even the increased subscription cost. Certainly the YTD AAPL performance allows me to support a valuable investment resource.

For comparison, I subscribe to Bob Brinker’s Marketimer $185 monthly newsletter for general market and economic analysis. He helped me get to “Critical Mass” over 20 years of listening to his radio show and taking control of my investments. I did violate his 4% rule for any one stock though with AAPL.

I took out a digital subscription to WSJ years ago supposedly to help me understand investment sectors and economic trends but honestly over the past 2 years that has been much less than helpful. I consider that $487/yr sub now to return much less value than my PED 3.0 sub. The WSJ sub will be cancelled.

December 24, 2020
    • Arthur Cheng said:
      Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Apple One and Apple News+ includes WSJ at a much lower price than WSJ charges alone.

December 25, 2020
  9. Richard Weathered said:
    Sign me up again I’m still in for the long haul. The info and comments here have helped me hang in during the lows and even add more shares.

December 24, 2020
  10. Michael Goldfeder said:
    @Bart See: The Apple Newsstand at $9.95 a month also gives you the WSJ and about 300 or more newspapers and magazines. I really enjoy having all of those materials in one place at an incredible price.

Given that I’ve also been using the Apple iCloud 2 TB for another $9.95, and am still on my free Apple TV+ through February, I’ll be upgrading to the new Apple subscription program for the $29.95 a month as it will also include the Newsstand, Arcade, Apple Music, and the workout subscription all for a discounted price.

December 25, 2020
    I was disappointed with the new $20/month subscription rate.

I thought it should have been $25/month.

One good trade per year, as a result of discussions here, more than pays for an annual subscription.

Count me in.

December 25, 2020
    • Mark Visnic said:
      I have a great idea! In order to alleviate Gregg’s disappointment in the $20 monthly charge over $25, I’m willing to sacrifice $5 of my $20 to him. In that way, all three of us will be happier. I get an even better deal, Gregg pays his ideal $25 and PED gets a deserved raise! Brilliant, right!? Merry Christmas!

December 25, 2020
  12. Shamwil Al-Amin said:
    First time long time lol. Took advantage of this post after years of reading for free, happy to lend support for the best Apple thoughts out there.

December 25, 2020
  13. Sean Callahan said:
    PED: My reading of the “Last chance to subscribe at the current rate” SALE is that if one acts now, one could renew at the current rate. However, the membership section of the account doesn’t accommodate an early renewal. Please advise.

(As an old mag man like you, it was common practice for circulation departments to send out early renewal efforts on the theory that cash on hand now was always preferable to hoping to get it later.)

December 25, 2020
  14. Robert Varipapa said:
    Would be nice to see some sort of loyalty discount or maybe even keep the old price for current subscribers.

December 25, 2020
  15. James Dean said:
    Or for PED to allow current subs to shove a boatload of money at PED by Dec 31 by extending our current subs another 12 months at current rates, he gets a windfall cash infusion, by Jan 1 2020, we get rewarded for supporting his tremendous talent and efforts over the years, as a thanks from him…

Win/win

Whatever , i will renew at 200.00 per year, and more likely at the 5 year level, he just adds to much value, as does the community as a whole…

Thank you Phillip!

December 26, 2020
  16. Greg Lippert said:
    Hi all,

After quietly reading on the sidelines, ya got me!
    Should have done it a long time ago.

Cheers!

December 27, 2020
  17. Randy McCleary said:
    I’m not a trader but am a happy consumer of PED’s format. Over the years it is a constant and informative collection of content I’ve come to enjoy. No, I’m not happy about the rate increase. But I’d be more distraught if this resource were not available because me and others like me failed to support it.

I’m in. -RJ