This week’s Apple trading strategies (12/21-12/25)

A place for Apple traders and investors to share their best ideas — Christmas week edition.

To get this rolling, here’s Daring Fireball’s John Gruber making a rare appearance on CNBC to say some sensible things about Apple silicon.

Below: Apple vs. the S&P 500 (normalized)…

apple trading strategies 12-21

Disclosure: Although I am now an Apple shareholder (see Why I bought a share of Apple, my first), I am in no position to give trading advice. Don’t blame me if you drain your IRA doing something you read about here.

See also last week’s trading strategies.

Apple silicon is a big deal from the AirPods to Mac and beyond.Yet, it’s ‘just software’, just design files printed on chips by TSMC. Likewise Apple’s stores, the glass ones, on-line, and App Store are software. The glass stores work because of the highly trained employees – that’s software. Services is really software.

All this ensures top line growth and margins, which is NOT fully priced in.

December 20, 2020
    • David Drinkwater said:
      Fred, Apple Slicon is hardware. To call it software is insulting to the world of EE’s and semiconductor manufacturers.

December 20, 2020
    Another week another dollar. Monday morning I will do as I have.

Like all strategies mine is being helped along by AAPL’s performance. Tuesday last I sold the contracts I bought on Monday ($1.65) for $1.93. Then reinvested in new, higher strike Spreads at $1.50 and sold them for $1.91.

December 20, 2020
    Spring boarding off of John’s 5G bit, given how the A-Series has blown past Qualcomm’ Snapdragon and Samsung’s Exnyos processors, and the M1 has blown past Intel’s x86 architecture, I’m expected an Apple produced radio will blow past Qualcomm’s radios, maybe not in speed, but in power efficiency.

Speculating here, I can see these radios ending up in all kinds of diverse products from HomePods to Macs.

December 20, 2020
      It’s not about the performance of each individual chip. It’s about the performance of the system as a whole. By looking and refactoring across general purpose computing hardware (M-chips), specialized chips (analog/radio and power) and software (software defined waveform), Apple can produce systems with substantially better performance than you’d get from just-a-radio-chip.

December 20, 2020
      • John Konopka said:
        It is mind boggling how well Apple has executed their plan. Tens of thousands of engineers working together to produce these really amazing products. I’ve looked inside a number of companies and have seen a number of squabbles and flame-outs. I’m sure Apple has had some of these but they managed to take in stride.

December 20, 2020
  4. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    More stories about Apple Silicon strength & the public now having an actual M1 chip to deeply peer into, these articles by Don Scansen of EE Times are recommended:

“ Exposing Apple Mini M1 SoC” dated 11/27/2020 and “ Probing the Apple M1’s Hidden Depths” dated 12/16/2020.

Quote:
    “ The 1st product from Apple’s chip design team meant for the personal computer line surpassed many competing microprocessors & nearly everything currently in other Apple products, particularly in single core & GPU tests. “

December 20, 2020