Virtually live from Apple’s ‘Hi, Speed’ event

Click here to follow along. All times Eastern…

2:10 And that’s a wrap. The products were pretty much as predicted:

• 4 5G iPhones
  • HomePod Mini
  • MagSafe charger (extra cost not announced)

What we didn’t get:

• Over-the-ear headphones
  • AirTags
  • iPad Air release date
  • New Apple TV
  • ARM-based Mac

Apple’s press release here. Watch the rebroadcast here.

2:08 AAPL down 3.41%

2:06. Back to Tim. “Wow, what an amazing day!” Sounds like a summing up. Will there be one more thing? No.

2:05 Prices. iPhone 12 Pro: $999 128 gb starting iPhone 12 Pro Max: $1099. Preorder Oct. 16 ship; 23

Pros: Order Nov. 6, ship Nov. 13.

2:01 Back to Joz. What 5G does for developers. Medical imaging downloaded faster. Map environment to design office spaces.

Summarizing the iPhone 12 Pro, showing film. Augmented reality hinted, not shown.

2:00 Apple is down 3.23 % right now. Sell the news.

1:59 Francesca to introduce LiDAR scanner for focus at night, improve depth in night mode.

1:55 back to Joz. Sample photos. These are great pictures, by any standard. HDR video recording for first time. 60x more colors. Dolby vision on the fly demoed in a video.

1:45 Back to Tim. Here come the pros.

iPhone 12 Pro: Greg Joswiak doing the intro. 4 colors. submersion 6 meters 30 minutes. Pro Max 6.7 inch display.

I didn’t understand Deep Fusion. 3 cameras.

Andrew on doing more with cameras:

1:41 Kaiann: James Bond theme to build suspense. iPhone 12 mini. smaller that 4.7 inch. All the same features as iPhone 12. I’m tempted, except I want the 3rd lens in the Pro. New sensor, larger pixels. 87% improvement in low light. Sensor shift to control motion in the chip, not the lens.

Alok (lots of new faces!): more pro features. Apple ProRAW.

Prices: $699 for mini, $799 for 12.

1:38 Environmental news. Lisa Jackson formally of EPA. Net zero across everything by 2030. All to justify not shipping with charger or earphones. Equivalent of 450,000 cars removed from road per year. Now they tell us!

1:35 Wireless charging. MagSafe for iPhone.

Dennis: Up to 15 watts. Magnetic flux! New cases with magnets. MagSafe wallet is totally cool. Charges Watch too. Belkin is on board.

1:32 Dual camera of iPhone 12. Normal and wide. Larger aperture gives many advantages.  27% improvement in low light. Computational photography is good branding. Video

1:30 Kaiann League of Legends on 5G.

Michael Chow at Riot. Was most popular PC game. No comment on Ash’s high-res figure. Dope new skins! Whatever that means.

1:27 Back to Kaiann with A14 bionic.

Hope to tell us all about it. 5 nm tech. 11.8 billion transistors! This stuff goes over my heads, but I believe Apple silicon a core strength.

1:19 Back to Tim. iPhone 12. Kaiann is another newbie. 5 colors. 6.1 inch, thinner, lighter. OLED pixel control. 2X pixels compared with iPhone 11. (but not Pro?) Ceramic Shield is good branding. 4X better drop performance. “Beam-forming algorithms” be still my heart! I’m fuzzy which iPhones get which 5G tech.

Arun with tech stuff in cook acoustic lab.

1:13 Back to Tim and iPhone. Recaps how great it is. “Today is the beginning of a new era for iPhone.” 5G is not a surprise. Wi-Fi painted as insecure, dangerous. Introduces CEO of Verizon, socially distant. (No AT&T etc.?)

1:11 $99 price is competitive, shipping Oct. 16.

1:07 Siri from Yael. Recognize different voices… is that new? HomeKit smarthome integration is not new. Intercom is new too, works best with multiple HomePods, but also dings devices.

1:03 HomePod mini. Looks like a citronella candle. Bob is new to me. So are Dave and Yael. Stress on sound quality (like original) and security (that’s new). HomePod’s sound quality was not a winning feature, judging by sales. Handoff feature could be cool… or irritating. Pandora and Amazon contracts not yet signed.

1:01 Starting with new product for the home. “The intelligence of Siri” (snark)

1:00 Lots of colored circles. Zoom to moon. Apple Park at night. Sunrise! Flowers! Tim Cook in Steve Jobs Theater.

12:56 T minus 4 minutes. Switching from the Barrett confirmation hearings to Apple TV and the Apple Event.

See also: Apple event rumor checklist

1. David Baraff said:
    Holy crap. I had no interest in upgrading my one year old 11 pro, but the design of the 12, as well as higher Retina display makes me immediately want to upgrade. It looks like the design of the 5, which I loved.

I must have this!! And I’m way more into watches than phones.

2. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    I wanna live in that Apple house!

Apple offer 4 times more 5G than anyone else, they’re calling it 20G! LOL j/k

3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Ok, Lisa Jackson standing on the Spaceship roof made me dizzy.

October 13, 2020
    To hell with 5G, I’m going to get the iPhone 12 Pro Max for everything else it does.

When 5G comes around it will just get better.

5. Mordechai Beizer said:
    I think the production values have gotten too slick. Virtual presentations have allowed Apple to choreograph way too much. And, of course, I miss Steve Jobs’ “one more thing…”

6. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    What I liked:
    * HomePod Mini
    * MagSafe
    * Pacific Blue
    * Dolby Vision
    * All the camera photo/video examples – the clarity & color!!!

Can’t wait to see what extra goodies will actually show up on the Apple Online Store that wasn’t covered.

So far I see 8 different MagSafe accessory offerings!

October 13, 2020
    I can’t wait until iPhone 12 advances are incorporated into the iPad. Who says iPads aren’t computers? Consumers disagree.

October 13, 2020
    @Piper Sanders: 10% my ass.

@myself: I was wrong. This launch, 5G and all, will be big and will matter.

@ATT and Epic: Too bad.

@Tim and Co: Thanks for putting new faces, new talent, on the ‘stage’; And thanks for you do.

9. Aaron Belich said:
    Ugh… no more leather cases from Apple.

Also, Mea Culpa, I didn’t believe Apple would bring 5G to iPhone this year, but it is what it is.

October 13, 2020
    My family Christmas list just got more depth, and cheaper too.

11. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Oh yeah!
    Forgot about Intercom!
    Can’t wait for that feature!
    With 5 legacy homepods + a new paired set of HomePod Mini’s plus our iPhones & I assume Watches, too, it’ll be better than the Walky Talky function I never used.
    🙂

12. Bart Yee said:
    A lot to unpack. My take:
    1) I sent PED a snap of the iPhone price ranges. $399 SE $499 XR $599 iPhone 11 $699 12 Mini $799 12 6.1 $999 12 Pro $1099 Pro Max (not pictured).

With these prices and new features, iPhone just upped the competitive balance across all mid, upper mid, hi-end and premium tiers. Value in iPhones has never been higher.

2) iPhone mini and new colors IMO targets women’s market precisely, showing Apple’s keen understanding of listening to customer wants, inclusion and empowerment. This is the premium aspirational iPhone for young women and men.

3) Verizon gets big play here, challenging / slapping at ATT & T-Mobile to step up. We’re seeing Verizon betting big on pulling in conquest subscribers from other carriers with aggressive contracts.

4) Assuming Apple is using the Qualcomm TOTL X55 5G modem, all models can handle EVERY 5G standard out there, even the coming 700mhz EU/UK standard. This will be huge in international markets and future proofs these iPhones.

October 13, 2020
    Oh my! I am from the old school of Steve and Jony. Did I hear the new iPhone 12 is “thinner” and “lighter!” 🙂