Strategy Analytics: Apple TV has tiny 2% slice of the streaming pie

From “Samsung Leads As Global TV Streaming Device Population Reaches 1.1 Billion” posted Wednesday:

The global population of TV and video streaming devices has now exceeded 1.1 billion, according to the latest analysis from Strategy Analytics’ TV Streaming Platforms service.

The research, which tracks quarterly deployments of TV and video streaming devices across 27 major countries, finds that Samsung is the leading brand, with 14% of devices in use, followed by Sony (12%), LG (8%), Hisense (5%), TCL (5%) and Amazon (5%).

The analysis also shows that the Tizen platform is the leading player in TV streaming, accounting for 11% of deployed devices, followed by WebOS (7%), PlayStation (7%), Roku OS (5%), Fire OS (5%), Android TV (4%) and Xbox (4%). The platform environment is still relatively fragmented since many older, often proprietary systems are still in use.

Clickable chart below: Devices on the left, platforms on the right.

apple tv strategy analytics

Click to enlarge

My take: What a mess. Due for a shakeout?

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Apple’s a monopoly. Doomed!
    Apple’s got no market share. Doomed!
    Which is it?
    Dumb.
    LOLable.
    I don’t care.

Fundamentals.

September 3, 2020
  2. Jacob Feenstra said:
    The amazing thing is that in many categories Apple still has lots of room to grow. When you’re this big and have lots of room to grow… that’s good news for the future of our company.

September 3, 2020
    • Fred Stein said:
      One word, “opportunity”.

September 3, 2020
    Is it me, or is this “study” including smart TV’s? The Apple TV is not a TV.

September 3, 2020
    • Dave Ryder said:
      @Gregg, you must be right about that.

September 3, 2020
      Well, as I interpret it, the left chart includes both ‘smart TVs’ and TVs with an external streaming device, such as Apple TV or Amazon Fire stick. Given the huge number of smart TVs from a wide variety of vendors out there, this does not surprise me.

What I’m not sure about is Cable set top boxes. Is my DirectTV box included in this count?

The right chart shows the software running on Smart TVs or external devices. What surprises me there is that half of the TVs are running “other” software.

Long before internet connected TVs, I remember reading (late 1990s?) that the average TV had 1m lines of code in it.

This could be an opportunity for Apple, but they’ll have to ramp up the user experience. I find the newer remote on Apple TV harder to use than the older one, and neither is particularly -useful-…. (Last night I watched “Greyhound” on the old Apple TV hooked up to the library screen, wife wasn’t interested. A day earlier, we both watched something on the family room TV hooked up to the newer Apple TV, so that’s my basis for comparison.)

September 3, 2020
    • Bart Yee said:
      Yep, stating Samsung is the leader in Streaming TV’s (screens larger than a tablet or computer monitor?) as a device. I’m not sure nor confident that that includes ANY smartphones as a “streaming TV device” if so, we might as well declare Samsung the leader in smart refrigerators.

I can’t rely on or believe a report which breaks out only TV devices and overlooks smartphones and tablets as “Smart TV” consumption type devices. And the propensity and ability of said devices users to USE and consume on said devices.

If one looks at Samsung’s consumer electronics division – TV’s, electronics, etc., they have been struggling for years with fair revenue but poor profits because it’s a very low margin business, plus Samsung being hardware oriented, they have no concept of monetizing beyond sales. Plus it’s barely tied into Android smartphone sales because they fail to create a unified ecosystem around it. Now Samsung finally catches on in some smartphone apps where they play ads while you use them. Right, I pay >$1000 for a Galaxy flagship so I can see ads in the main apps??

Report is fine for miscounting widgets of particular types.

September 3, 2020
    Ah but….

All the rest are devices, correctly labeled as such. Apple TV is an iOS platform.

So far Apple TV doesn’t compare well to the rest of the iOS ecosystem.

Patience.

September 3, 2020
  5. Joe Murphy said:
    Let’s not overlook or forget:
    ^ This is a analysis, not a study
    ^ It’s reviewing functions, some, but not all, of the items are multi-functional thus direct comparisons don’t apply

September 3, 2020
  6. Jonny Tilney said:
    Where that 2% go, another 40% will follow in due course… The advance guard of new Apple products at work again! All of us who were told we were nuts understand this!

September 4, 2020