How to queue up for an Apple event in the pandemic age — Update

At the opening of a new Apple store in Beijing last week, customers obediently maintained their social distance.

My take: Many photographers tried to capture this moment, but the best picture I've seen is the Reuters photo that ran in Wednesday's New York Times. See here.

UPDATE: Sharp-eyed friend-of-the-blog Robert Martin points out that the right side of the picture is a mirror image of the left. Is it a fake? Or art? My guess is that the photo was shot next to a mirror or a window acting like a mirror. The effect was clearer in the version in the NYTimes, before I cropped it. The caption in the Times credits "Thomas Peter/Reuters."

1. Steven Philips said:
    It’s an interesting kind of snark. They “obediently” maintained their social distance. As if that’s somehow a negative reflection on an ordered society. At the same time we argue that social distancing is necessary but we struggle to achieve it. Because we’re “free”.
    And, no, I prefer free. I don’t want to look more deeply at the moment!

July 22, 2020
    That is a fantastic photograph. What strikes me initially is all those good folk standing in this humongous line to get inside the new Apple store. Most folk would see such a long line and turn around. Not these good folk! Look at that photograph. It speaks volumes about the status of Apple products and services in the world’s most populous country. I love the Chinese people. Why can’t we get our leaders to love one another similarly?

July 22, 2020
    • Robert Martin said:
      Indeed, look at the photograph closely. It’s a fake. The left side is almost the same as the right side. Right side is a mirror image of the left. Is this Reuters faking it, the Chinese, or Apple? Who released the photo in the first place?

July 22, 2020
  3. Joe Murphy said:
    Jerry, I suspect fear of consequences is the driving force, coupled with a need for “maintaining appearances” being a close but still 2nd motivation. As the world witnessed earlier a few months ago, no one is immune from disappearing for speaking too loudly.

July 22, 2020
  4. Steven Philips said:
    Robert: Good observation. But it kind of looks like the photo was partly a mirror reflection from a window. I SUSPECT (meaning I don’t really know!) that it’s not really a “fake” but it’s not really clear enough to be considered “artistic”. Just my guess.

July 22, 2020
    • Robert Martin said:
      Steven, I’m quite sure you are right about the right side being a reflection off a glass surface, a common photographer’s technique. I should have been a bit more careful in judging as there are clues as to how the photo was taken.

Still the photo is basically misleading.

July 22, 2020
  5. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Let’s call just call it a day and say that you don’t see any other company attracting this number of people at the opening of a new store — China or elsewhere.

July 23, 2020