Gartner: Apple’s iPhone global market share grew 15% last quarter

As the virus raced around the world, Samsung, Huawei and Oppo got clobbered. Apple not so much.

From “Gartner Says Global Smartphone Sales Declined 20% in First Quarter of 2020 Due to COVID-19 Impact“:

While Apple is not as dependent on China as Huawei, Oppo or Vivo are, it faced supply constraints and store closures which negatively impacted iPhone sales in the first quarter of 2020. However, the impact of the pandemic was less significant than for the other top vendors. Apple’s iPhone sales declined 8.2%, totaling 41 million units in the first quarter of 2020.

“Apple had a strong start to the year thanks to its new product line up that saw strong momentum globally. If COVID-19 did not happen, the vendor would have likely seen its iPhone sales reached record level in the quarter. Supply chain disruptions and declining consumer spending put a halt to this positive trend in February,” said Annette Zimmermann, research vice president at Gartner. “Apple’s ability to serve clients via its online stores and its production returning to near normal levels at the end of March helped recover some of the early positive momentum.”

Cue the spreadsheet:

apple samsung huawei gartner

My take: Resilience.

Another slice of the same data:
    Android shipments fell 21.8% (from 330,349 to 248,218).
    iPhone shipments fell only 8.2%.

…And we’re not counting used iPhone shipments.
    …And iPhones tend to remain in use longer.

Apple’s iPhone ecosystem did very well. Android did poorly. The leading Android hardware companies, Samsung and Huawei, who also are the only Android hardware that invest in high-end chips, got clobbered.

AirPod and Apple Watch remain so far ahead that comparisons no longer matter.

iOS won. It’s over.

June 2, 2020
    I agree fully with Fred S. The data is clear that iOS is encroaching and stealing Android users over to the premium iOS user experience. Apple also is mixing up its iPhone line-up of premium devices at highly attractive and competitive price points hard for Android users who may have held back transitioning to iOS due to price. It goes beyond the data substantiation. You see it visually amongst your friends, relatives and acquaintances who once had Android devices but now have iOS devices.

Also, Fred makes a poignant observation about AirPods and Apple Watch public supremacy. It makes me wonder to the degree that these accessory devices have not in themselves compelled Android users to make the switch to the iOS ecosystem and thus this explains why I see more and more people today with these Apple devices on their persons. AirPods are omnipresent and Apple Watches are growing in popularity. Also, the AirPods can operate off the Apple Watch for Music, Podcasts that truly untethers users from their phone during extracurricular activities when outdoors exercising, recreational excursions, etc.

In summary, I get this innate feeling that Apple is going to one day dominate the markets in these devices.

June 2, 2020
    • Fred Stein said:
      Yup, and seeing AirPods on Zoom and TV screens helps.

I can’t wait till one of favorites like Katy, Amit, Gene, DED, or Horace takes a deep dive on the iOS (old definition) ecosystem – shared chip architecture, shared OS, shared network of 23 million developers.

June 2, 2020
    Tip of the horns to the Macalope for pointing to this review of the SE from AndroidCentral: https://www.androidcentral.com/apple-iphone-se-2020-review
    This really does capture the SE’s value proposition. If there was a 512gb version, I’d probably buy one now, rather than waiting for what Apple rolls out this fall.

June 2, 2020
    • Fred Stein said:

Imagine the joy of a young person, perhaps a teen buying their first brand-new SE with their own money, perhaps earned or saved.

June 2, 2020
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      @David Emery: Thanks for the site, David. That was one of the better comprehensive and informative write-ups on the new SE that I have read. I sent it out to all the Android users that I know. Believe me, sharing such information has converted some Android users over to iOS, to whom I send such information.

June 2, 2020
  4. Peter Kropf said:
    Daniel (DED – Appleinsider.com) is one of my Hall of Famer Apple posters. Horace Dediu (Asymco.com) is the other.

If I were a wine connoisseur, I’d remark, “Ah, The finest of wines.” (And sometimes the finest of whines (sometimes an inevitable response to the BS that’s out there)),

June 2, 2020
  5. Robert Stack said:
    I definitely include The Macalope in my weekly wine tastings – usually he posts on Tuesday. He’s always good for a laugh, and I love the terms he comes up with to label the Forbes Contributor Network…

June 3, 2020
  6. Jim Fournier said:
    While I am certainly happy that iPhone/Apple have done quite well during the pandemic, there can be no doubt that the Android customer base has been much harder hit by its sociological and economic effects, for which I have great sympathy.

June 3, 2020