Apple’s just released a new MacBook Air

Mine is due to arrive early next week.

apple macbook air magic keyboardFrom Apple’s press release:

Apple® today updated MacBook Air®, the world’s most loved notebook, with faster performance, the new Magic Keyboard®, twice the storage and a new lower price of $999, and $899 for education.1 The new MacBook Air delivers up to two times faster CPU performance2 and up to 80 percent faster graphics performance,3 letting customers breeze through daily activities and play more games. Now starting with 256GB of storage, MacBook Air allows customers to store even more movies, photos and files. With its brilliant 13-inch Retina® display for vivid images and sharp text, Touch ID® for easy login and secure online purchases, spacious trackpad, and all-day battery life combined with the power of macOS® Catalina, it’s the best MacBook Air ever made.

My take: Don’t know about the “magic” keyboard or the “world’s most loved notebook,” but I ordered mine this morning. The 512GB version, with Apple Care and state tax, came to $1,644.75  Apple is giving me $640 for my 2018 MacBook Air, which will bring the net cost to just over a Yang.

1. Aaron Belich said:
    I just ordered a ‘20 iPad Pro. Been waiting on this announcement since September! Shame the case is delayed a couple months, but I’m patient.

March 18, 2020
    This MBA and the new new iPad Pro will sell very well. While the investor community won’t register this, due to the macro environment, Apple keeps buying back shares.

Like the “Yang”.

March 18, 2020
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      @Fred Stein: “…. For many people, that canceled trip with plane fair, hotel, etc., pays for MacBook or iPad upgrade.”

Fred, it is for this reason that I believe we are going to be surprised pleasantly when we get Apple’s Q2 quarterly earnings report. People are upgrading devices for home schooling. Services are being used more in the homes during this period. It is nowhere near “doom and gloom” for Apple. I do not believe all Apple investors understand this fact. I heard one parent use the purchase of an upgrade for her child as no less than a new device to get him excited to adjust to home schooling. Think of that fact!

March 18, 2020
    • Dan Scropos said:
      Great latter point, Fred. We were just talking about the extra money we will have from us both working from home and not eating out. That’s gas money and dining out money. Add to that we have no plans for going on vacation for At least several months and there will be some extra money we weren’t expecting. We’re very lucky, of course. Not everyone is so lucky.

The ironic part is that without much to do out on the town, and us being holed up for two days, I was told yesterday, “I’m bored. Let’s order Apple TV+.” I wonder how many other households are considering the same. And Apple has all new content, and that’s a huge advantage.

March 18, 2020
  3. Thomas Larkin said:
    Apple is undoubtedly well positioned to weather this storm and come out strong on the other end, whatever happens to AAPL over the next few months. That, even if there is some level of demand destruction (or deferral) near term.

March 18, 2020
      That’s the thing. I think it’s much more ‘deferral’ than ‘destruction’, which could make for a very lively summer and fall season.

March 18, 2020
      • Aaron Belich said:
        Indeed, but at the same time, will back to school purchases be brought forward?

In the end it’s going to be a complete wash—barring the unknown of sub-prime debt.

March 18, 2020
  4. John Konopka said:
    That $900 education price expressed in 1984 dollars, when the first Macintosh came out, comes out to about $360!

I still have a 512k Mac in the garage.

March 18, 2020
  5. Thomas Larkin said:
    Brand love and solid fundamentals/balance sheet, etc. And definitely liking Apple TV +, good content (yeah that’s a thumbs up).

March 18, 2020
  6. Steven Philips said:
    How much is a Yang in quatloos ?

March 18, 2020