A loss in the Apple 3.0 family

“Financial Alchemist” Turley McFadden Muller (1978-2020).

From The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal, Jan. 18, 2020:

Memphis, TN – Turley McFadden Muller died peacefully at home. He graduated from Kimball Union Academy, one of the ten oldest prep schools in the country, located in Meriden, New Hampshire. He received a Business Degree at Rhodes College, where he was president of his fraternity, Sigma Nu. He received his Master’s Degree in accounting from Christian Brothers University. He was, at one time, the #1 Amateur Apple Analyst, and was published in numerous financial articles. Turley was also recognized by CNBC for his expertise in Apple Earnings.

He was a former accountant for Memphis Leadership Foundation, and also was a mortgage trading analyst at Union Planters Mortgage.

Turley enjoyed skiing at Deer Valley, and fishing at Pickwick. He was a kind and thoughtful friend, and never had a bad word to say about anyone.

My take: Turley was one the smartest Apple analyst I’ve known, amateur or pro. He was a loyal Apple 3.0 reader, an active participant and a regular winner in my quarterly Earnings Smackdowns, scoring at or near the top of the Best and Worst analysts lists (see, for example, Q3 2019). My sympathies to his parents, his brothers and the extended Muller family.

1. John Blackburn said:
    Rest in peace, Turley. You were always worth listening to, and always tried to help others understand.

February 29, 2020
    Gosh, that’s really sad news! My sympathies to his family and friends!

3. David Drinkwater said:
    Wow, that’s awful. Far too young.

I went to Saint Paul’s School, not too far away in Concord, New Hampshire. We played against KUA.

I’m going to miss his writing. He would be one of the few Apple analysts I want(ed) to meet.

Very, very sad.

4. Kirk Burgess said:
    Very sad to hear, he will be missed.

February 29, 2020
    My favorite foil. I didn’t even know he was ailing.

6. Alessandro Luethi said:
    Riposa In Pace Turley.
    Empathy to his family and friends.

7. Jamie McDaniel said:
    Terribly sad to hear about Turley Muller. It was around this time last year Richard Wanderman died. I know we would like to hear Turley’s and Richard’s continued thoughts on Apple and AAPL. I reflect on Dr. King’s quote about the great sentence of life – death being a comma instead of a period.

• David Drinkwater said:
      Did I miss a posting about this, because I admit – with some embarrassment – that *this* was the news I actually expected.

8. Dan Scropos said:
    Absolutely heartbreaking news. A heck of a contributor and I’m sure an even better human. I hope his family and friends can find peace and comfort sometime soon.

9. Ken Cheng said:
    Terribly sad news. I always enjoyed reading Turley’s thoughts back to PED 2.0. May he Rest In Peace.

February 29, 2020
    It saddens me to learn of Turley’s passing. He was young, just forty-two. It’s another poignant reminder as to the ephemeralness of life. Reading his obituary speaks volumes of his loss; not just to all who knew him, but to all who would have benefitted in his vocational field from his continued work, who would have sought his consultation and advisement. Turley worked diligently as a young, disciplined man to prepare himself educationally and vocationally to gain the requisite skills to be a valuable contributor and productive worker in life. He practiced his vocation with skilled and integrity. To see him exit so prematurely is where we are disheartened by the news; because we know he had so much more to give to all going forward. He will be missed. RIP

11. John Kirk said:
    Oh no, this is awful news! I follow Turley on Twitter and always enjoyed his financial insights. What a loss for me personally and for the whole Apple community. He truly will be missed.

12. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    A youthful-age’s passing circle of pain spreads the furthest.

This is sad news. All best to those loved ones he leaves behind. May peace and understanding be swift.

(Personally disappointed that I never regularly followed his writings elsewhere as I have so many others.)

13. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Our sincerest condolences on the passing of such a young, smart, & insightful person. Rest In Peace.

14. Jacob Feenstra said:
    Shocked. I hadn’t seen any comments from him for a while and has been thinking this past week, ‘It would be good to have Turley’s take’.

As someone from a similar denominational background I say, ‘May God comfort his family.’

March 1, 2020
  15. David Kettle said:
    Condolences to the family. Far too young for a bright light to leave.

March 1, 2020
  16. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    This is sad news for the global network of Apple enthusiasts and in particular the Apple independent analyst community. I’ve followed Turley’s work for years and was honored that he took interest in my work in return.

His work through the years inspired others to work harder at preparing estimates, to watch a broadening array of factors that would impact Apple’s performance while he engaged with fellow Apple independent analysts like we were colleagues on a common mission.

He is missed. He is gone far too soon. Rest in peace.

March 1, 2020
  17. Ross Richardson said:
    Truly a blow the Apple community, and the world in general.

March 2, 2020
  18. Louis Muller said:
    I’m unfortunately just now seeing this and not sure if any of ya’ll that commented will see this post but thank you all for the extremely kind words. Turley loved Apple and this community and would be overwhelmed by the support. Thank you, all

Louis, Turley’s little brother