Apple: Mac keyboards get Oscar shout-out (video)

And not the good kind.

From The Verge:

Speaking with journalists after winning his first Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi had other things on his mind. When asked what he thought writers should be demanding in the next round of discussions with producers, Waititi put Apple’s controversial laptop keyboards on blast.

“Apple needs to fix those keyboards,” he said. “They are impossible to write on — they’ve gotten worse. It makes me want to go back to PCs. Because PC keyboards, the bounce-back for your fingers is way better. Hands up who still uses a PC? You know what I’m talking about. It’s a way better keyboard. Those Apple keyboards are horrendous.”

Cue the video (skip to 1:44):

Apple take note: Writers care about their keyboards.

I don’t like the keyboard on my laptop, but that’s why I bought a couple old Mac keyboards that do have good travel and good feel. I’d be really surprised if a professional screenwriter actually uses the laptop keyboard for real work.

February 10, 2020
    Lordy, Lordy! Apple will hear this one……

February 10, 2020
  3. George Ewonus said:
    I have had Apple MacBooks since the first Apple portable – appropriately nicknamed the ‘MacAnvil’. Never had an issue with the keyboards. Quite possible I am just a ham-handed typist? Would agree with Jeff about the 16″ MBP.

February 10, 2020
    Having given up mobility a few years back for a Mac mini, I use a retro keyboard called Unicomp from pckeyboard.com. It is an old fashioned full travel 101 keyboard updated to work on current Macs. I love the feel. Been using it for over a year. My typing errors have declined greatly as I have to PUSH the key down to get tactile confirmation.

February 10, 2020
    • John Konopka said:
      Similar story, I used PowerBooks and MacBooks for years but now I have a 27″ iMac. The wireless keyboard is not bad but it hurts to type on. I bought a Matias Quiet Pro which is not bad. Lots of travel in the keys. I went back to the Apple wireless but put a cushion under it. That is not bad. I need a softer cushion.

I miss going to MacWorld in San Francisco. You could go up and down the aisles and try out every kind of gadget and get a feel for them.

February 10, 2020
    Taika Waititi makes millions and can’t afford to buy a used non-butterfly keyboard. He’s an ass.

February 10, 2020
    • John Butt said:
      Odd comment Gregg. The guy clearly spoke about using a portable where a separate keyboard would be useless.

February 10, 2020
        I’m not sure I find “production screenwriting” on a laptop’s keyboard to be all that credible.

February 10, 2020
        • David Drinkwater said:
          The laptop makes perfect sense for its portability: you can take it with and work on the Gia’s needed, but for “real” work sessions, you need an ergonomic office, so I totally agree with Greg here.

February 10, 2020