French hit Apple with $27 million fine for 'ready-to-rubbish' iPhones

From "Apple fined in France over iPhone-slowing software" posted early Thursday by Agence France Press:

French authorities on Friday said tech giant Apple has agreed to pay €25 million ($27.4 million) for failing to inform users that software updates to older iPhone models could slow down the device, according to French media.

Le Parisien reported it was the highest fine for fraud ever imposed by the consumer watchdog.

The crackdown comes two years after Apple admitted its iOS software slowed down the performance of older phones — in particular, devices with shorter battery life.

An inquiry was opened in January 2018 after the Halt Planned Obsolescence (HOP) association filed a complaint.

"This is a historic victory against scandalous ready-to-rubbish practices, for consumers as well as the environment," HOP co-founders Laetitia Vasseur and Samuel Sauvage said to AFP.

My take: No good deed goes unpunished.

See also: Apple owns up to slowing iPhones with aging batteries

1. Kathy Corby said:
    True, Apple can’t prevent the deterioration of battery capacity in aging devices. Best comment about this issue that I saw at the time: “It turns out that even Apple can’t defy the laws of physics…”

February 7, 2020
    And France and HOP will beat their respective drums about how they “protected” the consumer from the evil capitalist, when in actuality Apple did more in 30 days than they (without the threat of government intervention) did in two years of grandstanding.

I wonder how much of that $27 million went to affected consumers.

February 7, 2020
    I’m writing this on the go so indulge me if I am saying something off-base, but am I wrong to denote that Apple launched a program for the good French Apple consumers to get free battery replacements, too?

February 7, 2020
  4. John Konopka said:
    This is kind of sad. I understand their desire to protect consumers, but it seems that they didn’t try to understand the reality of the situation.

February 7, 2020
      Where were these people when MSFT (under Ballmer) was crapping all over its customers.

February 8, 2020
    Is it a comfort to know other countries have idiots in government like we do? 🙁

February 8, 2020