Apple has shuttered its Chinese stores

The Wuhan coronavirus hits Apple retail where it hurts.

From Reuters:

Apple Inc on Saturday said it has decided to shut down all of its official stores in mainland China until Feb 9., as fears over the coronavirus outbreak mounted and the death toll more than doubled to over 250 from a week ago.

My take: My daughter the urologist says it’s wrong to call it simply “the “coronavirus.” That’s the name of a whole family of viruses (viri?) that cause diseases in mammals and birds, including SARS and MERS. According to Wikipedia, the name “coronavirus” is derived from the Latin corona, meaning crown or halo, which refers to the characteristic appearance of the virus particles (virions), which form a fringe reminiscent of a royal crown or of the solar corona. According to my resident urologist, the fringe of the glans penis is also called the corona. Learn something new everyday.

UPDATE: Ming-Chi Kuo lists five risks for Apple. See StreetInsider.

This guardian article provides perspective: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/what-is-coronavirus-symptoms-wuhan-china-how-worried-doctor

So far it seems the mortality rate is 2% vs. normal flu of 1% which kills 400,000 annually WW. But this corona virus has a longer period of time to infect people and we have no vaccine, so the spread can be much faster. Typically flu season ends in March, April or May.

This will impact Apple sales and perhaps production near term. Those sales are not lost, just delayed.

The economy as a whole will be impacted.

February 1, 2020
  2. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Prayers this is resolved quickly, a vaccine found, and no more deaths. Condolences to those who’ve lost loved ones. Stay healthy & be safe, everyone!

February 1, 2020
  3. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    My apologies to all on this website.

Recently I made a post here where I stated that the Corona virus issue was ramping at a time when it would have a “piss on the exuberance” effect to Apple’s healthy Q1 earnings report.

While merely an observation, I have come to personally regret my misplaced concern about what negative effect that would do to my money via AAPL stock price.

The notion of “woe is my wallet” displacing the seriousness of such a damaging world-wide threat on a public blog has left me ashamed.

Please forgive. People first.

February 1, 2020
  4. Bill Haymaker said:
    Thanks to your daughter. Nice to have some in house expertise. 🙂

February 1, 2020
  5. Michael Thompson said:
    I’m standing strongly by my original statements on the coronavirus, it’ll have the same impact that the following had:

1. Zika Virus
    2. Ebola
    3. SARS
    4. MERS
    5. Foot and Mouth
    6. Avian Flu
    7.West Nile
    8. I’m probably forgetting at least 5 more recent SCARE TACTIC viruses. Within 2-3 years, there will be another virus introduced that you’ve never heard of before and that you won’t get.

The long-term impact of all of them combined: NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER.

The media will run with this story for awhile, similar to the China Trade Deal story.

February 1, 2020
    Regular, garden variety flu deaths worldwide per year: 400,000 (1% death rate).

Coronavirus death rate ~2%.

Let’s assume actual coronavirus death rate is 5% (5 X regular rate). That’s 2 MILLION deaths worldwide, or stated another way, 0.03% of the worlds population. That’s 3 in 10,000. What are we worried about.

This scare is going to end almost as fast as it began, while making the rich richer.

February 1, 2020
  7. David Drinkwater said:
    My integrated (downstream) supply chain at work lead to China. The virus will certainly impact our quarter, but I don’t know about the future. The Lunar New Year Holiday is being extended: how long (again, I don’t know)?

February 2, 2020