Apple’s AirPods Pro: Video today, product Wednesday

Flexible ear tips, active noise cancellation, transparency mode, $249.

From Apple’s press release:

Each earbud comes with three different sizes of soft, flexible silicone ear tips that conform to the contours of each individual ear, providing both a comfortable fit and a superior seal — a critical factor in delivering immersive sound. To further maximize comfort, AirPods Pro use an innovative vent system to equalize pressure, minimizing the discomfort common in other in-ear designs. AirPods Pro are sweat- and water-resistant, making them perfect for active lifestyles.

Active Noise Cancellation on AirPods Pro uses two microphones combined with advanced software to continuously adapt to each individual ear and headphone fit. This removes background noise to provide a uniquely customized, superior noise-canceling experience that allows a user to focus on what they’re listening to — whether it’s a favorite song or a phone conversation.

The first microphone is outward-facing and detects external sound to analyze environmental noise. AirPods Pro then create an equivalent anti-noise that cancels out background noise before it reaches the listener’s ear. A second inward-facing microphone listens toward the ear, and AirPods Pro cancel remaining noise detected by the microphone. Noise cancellation continuously adapts the sound signal 200 times per second.

Cue the video:

My take: Any color you want, as long as it’s white.

Overtaken by the news: Report: New AirPods come in ‘white, black and night green’

1. John Konopka said:
    I was hoping for the midnight green to match my iPhone.

I wonder how good the noise cancellation is on an airplane? I love my Bose head phones for traveling but they are rather bulky.

October 28, 2019
      I was thinking exactly the same thing. I’ve got a flight coming up over Thanksgiving weekend. The last couple of times in the air I’ve tried the AirPods and they were worthless. Been thinking about getting the Beats noise-canceling headset but don’t like the bulk. I will be reading the reviews on airplane use carefully.

October 28, 2019
    Wow.

Like Apple Watch, few analysts see that AirPod has opened a wide lead in a long race. In both wearable categories, incremental improvements dirve upgrade sales while expanding Apple’s lead.

October 28, 2019
  3. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Hey kids — don’t prematurely misconstrue their design as some effective stand-in for hearing aids. You do this new product a disservice right out of the gate.

I’m not denying they couldn’t be used as such, but let’s keep the conversation on track as to what their designed to do.

I am an audio enthusiast and avid proponent of the whole AirPods “thing” and have been stressing the fact that many users sadly and frequently miss out on the accuracy of their sound. Since they’re quite often used in environments where you are in motion outside, the outside sound leakage is enough to damper the complete experience of what is truly being presented. Yet, it’s a feature — not a bug — to still hear what is around you without taking them out.

While still a superb design of portability, convenience and utility with a balanced natural sound, they truly shine when you’re in a quiet room with them properly placed in your ears. The differences are subtle — but that’s the point. Those finer aspects of true audio fidelity are the Holy Grail. AirPods sound is natural, balanced and accurate. It’s there, you just have to listen INTO the sound.

I have my AirPods Pro on order and will be more that happy to comment about them — especially it’s Transparency function — later.

Cheers to the toys.

October 28, 2019
    • Jerry W Doyle said:
      @Kirk DeBernardi: You make a good observation in that the AirPods evolved to provide the user the highest quality music experience possible. To continue that endeavor the AirPods must retain the continuity of integrity of that effort without compromising to accommodate an altogether different purpose device, that of a hearing aid. I rather see Apple in its Health and Wellness field develop an entirely different device that focused exclusively on providing the premium user experience of the highest hearing quality level for individuals with a hearing loss. To attempt one device to do both (premium music audio fidelity experience vs. premium hearing aid fidelity experience) means compromising each device experience to integrate the two.

October 29, 2019
  4. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    * THEY’RE designed to do.

* more THAN happy…