AppleInsider rates Apple, Google and Microsoft News

And the winner is…

From William Gallagher’s Compared… which is the best for you?

It’s easier to pick a loser. Microsoft News is fine, it’s just not much more than that. If there were no alternatives, we’d be using Microsoft News.

However, there are alternatives and every sensible news junkie should be going for Google News. We say that with absolute certainty —and yet we find ourselves reading Apple News instead.

That is because it’s just a pleasant reading experience on iOS. That is because having the iOS app now on our Macs as well means we get to use the same one on all our screens. And actually the fact that we use it everywhere means it is learning what we do or don’t like.

It just lacks that Full Stories feature that we so love. For day to day keeping up with events, we’re on Apple News. When we need to know more, we fire up Google News.

My take: Dear Apple News Team, please add that Full Coverage feature that we so love.

And while you’re at it, please let us delete any/all channels. It Really Pisses Me Off to have Apple push channels on me that I don’t want, with no way to delete them. That’s a Google/Facebook “We control what you read” kind of stunt.

October 11, 2018
    • George Row said:

There are sources that I simply don’t trust, that I know will just annoy me.
      I have always wanted News to let me tell it: “don’t ever show me content from THAT source again!”

October 11, 2018
        • Ken Cheng said:

If you are using the Apple News app on your Mac or in iOS, then there’s a setting that allows you to block channels and topics.

And on your Mac, you can restrict your news preferences so that Siri doesn’t suggest stories, and you can prevent any stories outside your chosen channels from appearing.

Looked in iOS, and you can do the same.

October 11, 2018
      • Grady Campbell said:

Is what you want different than “Block Channel”?
        Apple News has introduced its own aggregating channels (3 so far) that I might choose to delete but can’t; otherwise blocking any other channel seems to omit its content for me.

October 11, 2018

I don’t want the Apple aggregating channels! In particular, I don’t give a Rodent’s Posterior about Apple’s TV recommendations or their selections for Midterm Elections.

October 12, 2018
  2. Richard Wanderman said:

I subscribed to the Washington Post through iTunes and it integrates pretty well with Apple News (AN knows about my subscription). I have longer term subscriptions to the New York Times and New Yorker and I have their apps on my iOS devices and are logged into them. But, Apple News doesn’t think I’m subscribed to either, simply because it isn’t controlling my subscription. I realize Apple wants to handle all subscriptions and take their cut, but I want the choice of subscribing outside the app and having it understand I’m a subscriber.

It’s irksome and it keeps me from using Apple News the way I know Apple wants me to.

October 11, 2018
    • Grady Campbell said:

I have WaPo and NYTimes subscriptions both through iTunes and only WaPo shows up in Apple News as subscribed; I assume that NYTimes and/or Apple don’t want this to work like it does for WaPo

October 11, 2018
      • Richard Wanderman said:

So, maybe it’s a NY Times bug? If you have both through iTunes and only one works I guess there’s little incentive to move my subscriptions to iTunes if it will get me nothing in terms of the News app. Thanks for the report Grady.

October 13, 2018