Survey: Apple employees most likely to postpone parenthood

What makes Apple so family hostile?

In an anonymous survey of 8,000 tech professionals at two dozen companies, Apple topped the chart.

From Blind's Work Talk Blog:

This month, we asked our community of tech professionals to let us know if a high cost of living has affected their decision to have kids and start a family... Below are the final results for 14 tech companies that summed up with the most survey responses. The percentages listed for each company represent employees who delayed building a family. Apple has the highest percentage of employees who say they have delayed starting a family due to high cost of living (69%) while Oracle has the least (45%).

My take: Tell me again why Apple Park has a 100,000 square foot fitness and wellness facility but no onsite childcare?

1. Richard Wanderman said:
    While I’ve tended to agree with you in the past on this, I’m wavering now, less because I don’t think it’s important, more because I want to believe that it might be a better idea for Apple to underwrite employees finding childcare outside of the Apple campus, in places close to their homes.

In my mind, this is as much a logistical problem as it is a demonstration of good will toward families (with kids). It might be that the logistics of dropping kids off at an on-site facility and parking don’t work well together and cars can get closer to off-site places making them safer.

I have no idea really but it might not be too hard to find out how Apple is handling this.

September 19, 2018
    • Richard Wanderman said:
      The only thing I’ve found so far is that KinderCare in the area offers discounts for Apple employees. Doesn’t mean there aren’t other supports for parents, we just don’t know what they are or if they exist.

September 19, 2018
      • At Apple last week, I asked about this at the SVP level. Still nothing to report. I’m sure there are alternative child care solutions in Cupertino if you can afford them. People with enough money also send their kids to boarding schools and summer camps. But in my experience as a parent, it’s nice to have time with the kids. They seem better for it.

September 19, 2018
        • Richard Wanderman said:
          I agree with the time with kids argument but I’m not sure that on vs off-campus childcare is necessarily the answer, from a logistical viewpoint. Again, my argument is not that Apple should not be involved in this, but it may be that their involvement is to support off-campus solutions and that’s built into their campus plan.

September 19, 2018
    I don’t think it’s our place, as outsiders looking in, to question Apple’s employee relation policies. That purview belongs to the employees themselves, as they are closer to the issue of onsite daycare than we will ever be.

Apple’s employees are strong, intelligent people. If onsite daycare were important to enough of them, Apple would provide it.

Given the competitive environment for quality employees in the Silicon Valley, and with Apple’s riches, I’m pretty confident that Apple employees are compensated enough to seek their own unique solutions.

September 19, 2018
    Thanks Philip for bringing this up, and Richard for an excellent contrarian view. Greg is right, who are we to adjudicate?

Another contrarian question: Might this be a statistical anomaly? If fast growing Apple is hiring younger employees in Silicon Valley where housing prices have grown by 200% in my neighborhood from pre-crash (2008) highs, that will distort the data vs. Oracle and Microsoft. Note Facebook, also growing fast is just across the bay from East Bay where housing prices are much lower.

Disclaimer: I live 6 miles from Apple Park and GooglePlex. Housing is insane.

September 19, 2018
      Disclaimer: I live 6 miles from Apple Park and GooglePlex. Housing is insane.

Ka-ching

September 19, 2018
  4. Ken Cheng said:
    “family hostile?”
    I think the daycare issue is completely separate from what the survey is measuring.

There’s a strong inverse correlation between high cost of living and family size. As the cost of raising a child increases, families have less resources to do so, so they raise fewer children. That’s what the survey is showing.

September 19, 2018