From a note to clients by Royal Bank of Canada analyst Amit Daryanani that landed in my inbox Sunday:
The Game Changer: This year’s September event is easily the most anticipated iPhone launch given expectations for the first major form factor change since the iPhone 6… Optically, the next generation flagship iPhone will feature a brand new form factor with an OLED display that spans edge-to-edge (~5.8″). We think the new device will also include multiple new features to enhance the consumer experience. Key upgrades include:
- Upgraded A11 processors manufactured by TSMC (10nm process)
- Wireless/inductive charging capability (most exciting new feature based on our survey),
- Virtual home button embedded in the display
- 3-D facial recognition sensor for front-facing camera (potential replacement to Touch ID)
- AR enabled rear-facing vertical dual lens camera
- Glass front and back with stainless steel edges
- Improved water resistance
- 3GB of RAM
- 64GB and 256GB storage tiers
- Improved water resistance.
Except for items 7 and 10, this is straight sell-side consensus.
Daryanani maintains his Outperform rating and $180 price target.
NOTE: In the latest Earnings Smackdown, Daryanani finished 16th out of 26 Apple analysts.