Patently Apple mocks Tim Cook’s Charlottesville memo

“Apple’s CEO sends out another preachy memo to calm down snowflake employees,” writes prominent Apple blogger Jack Purcher.

From Thursday’s Patently Apple:

I’ve never heard of another CEO who has to continually calm down their employees who can’t handle life or news events. It’s hard to believe that Apple has a disproportionate number of snowflakes who need coddling over ever bump in life…

Where was the memo to employees when five police officers were gunned down in Dallas associated with the left wing Black Lives Matter movement? There was silence.

When the riots outside a Chicago venue stopped a legal Presidential Rally for candidate Trump and rioters were punching citizens trying to get into the venue, where was Cook’s outrage and memo about and the civil liberties of American citizens then? There was silence.

And yet Cook uses this saying from Martin Luther King in his memo: “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.” I guess civil liberties only matters when they match your political views and agenda.

My take: Purcher has carved out a prominent niche for himself in the Apple blogosphere. It’s not one I would feel comfortable occupying.

Below: The text of Cook’s memo, via BuzzFeed.

Team,

Like so many of you, equality is at the core of my beliefs and values. The events of the past several days have been deeply troubling for me, and I’ve heard from many people at Apple who are saddened, outraged or confused.

What occurred in Charlottesville has no place in our country. Hate is a cancer, and left unchecked it destroys everything in its path. Its scars last generations. History has taught us this time and time again, both in the United States and countries around the world.

We must not witness or permit such hate and bigotry in our country, and we must be unequivocal about it. This is not about the left or the right, conservative or liberal. It is about human decency and morality. I disagree with the president and others who believe that there is a moral equivalence between white supremacists and Nazis, and those who oppose them by standing up for human rights. Equating the two runs counter to our ideals as Americans.

Regardless of your political views, we must all stand together on this one point — that we are all equal. As a company, through our actions, our products and our voice, we will always work to ensure that everyone is treated equally and with respect.

I believe Apple has led by example, and we’re going to keep doing that. We have always welcomed people from every walk of life to our stores around the world and showed them that Apple is inclusive of everyone. We empower people to share their views and express themselves through our products.

In the wake of the tragic and repulsive events in Charlottesville, we are stepping up to help organizations who work to rid our country of hate. Apple will be making contributions of $1 million each to the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League. We will also match two-for-one our employees’ donations to these and several other human rights groups, between now and September 30.

In the coming days, iTunes will offer users an easy way to join us in directly supporting the work of the SPLC.

Dr. Martin Luther King said, “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.” So, we will continue to speak up. These have been dark days, but I remain as optimistic as ever that the future is bright. Apple can and will play an important role in bringing about positive change.

Best,

Tim

1. Richard Wanderman said:

I support Cook’s response to Charlottesville and to Trump.

Trump craves attention. Good or bad. He’s the ultimate example of the Dvorak effect.

I’ve been supporting the SPLC and the ADL and the ACLU for most of my adult life. Given that ACLU is now suing Charlottesville on behalf of one of the Nazi groups, I may have to dump them but the other two will continue to get my support. Charlottesville was not Skokie although maybe its time to rethink Skokie too.

Sad.

August 17, 2017
  2. Jonathan Mackenzie said:

Usually when the term “snowflake” is thrown about, it’s part of a rant by some thin skinned person who is offended by something minor.

I can’t imagine being offended by a corporate memo and having the bad judgement to call others “snowflakes.”

I am a staunch supporter of the right to express unpopular ideas. And I support the right of others to express their opinions of those ideas. It’s the second part that seems to befuddle extremists.

August 17, 2017
  3. Sandro Castellaro said:

He makes a very valid point about the “progressive left’s” selective outrage….where was Obama (sympathy, support,comfort) and Tim for that matter, when the 5 policemen were shot in Dallas? The unfortunate tragedy in Charlottesville could have been avoided by:

1) pro-active Policing, but the Democrats in leadership (politically and at the Police level) abdicated their responsibilities for political motivations;

2) standing down by Antifa thugs (yes the thugs on the left are JUST as bad as the one’s on the alt-Right despite the left not wanting to not make a so-called moral equivalency);

The ACLU should be commended for their work. It is precisely within the scope of their mandate. Popular speech doesn’t need protection, it is UNPOPULAR speech that needs to be protected. As much as the alt-Right may be despicable to me and the vast majority of people they’re Constitutionally entitled to peacefully march and demonstrate

August 17, 2017

Black and Blue lives matter. All lives matter.

There were Nazi and Confederate flags at Charlottesville. The Nazi’s devastation and death – soldiers plus 6 Million civilians, are well known. Our Civil War cost 620,000 lives, nearly 1/2 of all US casualties of war for our entire history.

August 17, 2017
  5. Neil Shapiro said:

I have to say that the viewpoint that the Antifa and the Nazis are morally equivalent seems extremely specious to me. Here ‘s the deal — we fought a World War against the Nazis. Millions of Americans were wounded or killed including all races and religions. To see Nazi flags and to hear Nazi slogans is absolutely beyond the pale. The Antifa movement is in response to Nazi aggressions. Had there been such a movement in Germany in 1938 it is possible History could have been changed. All in all the alt-right and a deplorable (!) segment of the usual Right seem not to understand the most basic tenets of Democracy or simply understand that they are trying to overthrow it. At any rate, I applaud Tim Cook and think his memo is spot on. I look forward to contributing via iTunes.

August 17, 2017
  6. William Kortum said:

Armed nazis marching in the streets is not a free speech issue to any sane person.

August 17, 2017