Apple is 100% back on Twitter, says Elon Musk in two-hour airborne chat

From Kurt Wagner's "Elon Musk Says Apple Is ‘Fully’ Advertising on Twitter Again" posted Saturday on the Bloomberg:

Elon Musk said Apple Inc. has “fully resumed” advertising on Twitter Inc., further de-escalating a brewing war between two of the world’s most influential tech companies.

Musk made the comments during a Twitter Spaces conversation on Saturday, adding that Apple is the largest advertiser on the social media network. The billionaire, who didn’t elaborate further on Apple, spoke for more than two hours from his private plane during the chat, which had more than 90,000 listeners...

Following his barrage of attacks on Apple, Musk met with Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook and said the two had a “good conversation” and “resolved the misunderstanding about Twitter potentially being removed from the App Store.” Musk said Cook was “clear that Apple never considered doing so.”

My take: Just because Musk says something, doesn't make it true. But this is interesting...

UPDATE: Apple's critics are characterizing Musk's war on Apple as a "stick-up"...

“…. My take: Just because Musk says something, doesn’t make it true.”

A predatory person uses intimidation to get what they seek and often knows the propitious moment to strike. I suspect Elon Musk unleashed a full throttled assault on Apple at this vulnerable period in the company’s history. Tim C capitulated for the good of Apple. That is not a sign of weakness in Tim C, but likely a strategic response at a critical juncture for Apple in knowing when to bend and be flexible.

Elon Musk is a junkyard dog who comes from a perceived position of relative power, is respected among his peers and who coerces peoples to act as he desires when they least likely are able to defend themselves successively.

Musk is hell-bent to turn Twitter into a successful company. He saw Apple in a vulnerable public position, pounced and used Tim Cook to help in shaping the future for Twitter.

Musk is a brilliant tactician. Please understand that this is no perceived weakness on Tim Cook’s part. Cook is smart enough to know that now is a period not to take on publicly one of the most celebrated junkyard dogs.

As an Apple shareholder I accept what occurred. Tim Cook did what was appropriate for our company. My disappointment is Apple’s response serves only to reinforce (or strengthen) a behavior that needed to be modified.

• Ted Kluger said:
      IMO your fawning adoration of Elmo is misplaced. Allow me to denote (your very favorite word) the reasons why I disagree with your view:

> First, Tim didn’t “capitulate” to Musk. Elon only claims this, as PED wrote above. We don’t know what happened on their walk.
      Next “brilliant tacticians” don’t:
      > make an offer to buy a company and then immediately try to back out of the deal only to be forced to complete the acquisition.
      > overpay by billions for an unprofitable company, especially when their existing corporate responsibilities are already overwhelming.
      > open the floodgates (on Twitter) to hate in the name of free speech only to have half the advertisers scurry away, esp. when the company’s revenue is derived from ads.
      > undermine investors’ faith and cause a nearly 50% drop in the share price of their primary company (TSLA) since the new acquisition.
      > prompt a backlash where some prospective Telsa buyers now perceive him as a fascist and balk at considering buying one of “his cars” – even causing some upset drivers to swerve at Teslas to express their anger (see articles on the web).
      > base their business decisions on a pathetic need for attention.

• Jerry Doyle said:
        @Ted Kluger: “…. IMO your fawning adoration of Elmo is misplaced.”

Sir, did you read my comments? If you say you did, then your level of reading comprehension is problematic.

You unleashed an unbridled anger diatribe against Mr. Musk (apart from what the captioned article is about) sweeping me up into some form of an Elon Musk supporter juxtaposed for comparative purposes. I referred to Mr. Musk as a “predatory person.” I called Elon Musk a “junkyard dog.” I said Tim Cook responded correctly in this specific situation to a bully, Elon Musk. I denoted 🙂 (hope the use of that word doesn’t bristle you) that Tim C showed “strength,” not weakness.

How you reconcile my calling a man a junkyard dog, a predator, implying that he is no less a bully and then concomitantly accuse me of “fawning adoration” of same individual is perplexing; other than my viewing your level of anger, frustration and resentment at Mr. Musk is at an unhealthy level for you to have normal discourse when his name is mentioned.

Take a breath, relax, and then go back and read my comments objectively.

• Robert Stack said:
        @Ted: “prompt a backlash where some prospective Telsa buyers now perceive him as a fascist and balk at considering buying one of “his cars””.

Yup – that one describes me! Not that I see him necessarily as a full-on “fascist” (though he certainly has fascist tendencies), it’s just that I wouldn’t buy a car from him anymore than I’d buy a pillow from Mike Lindell.

2. Troy Thoman said:
    I rarely use Twitter but was reading something on it yesterday and saw an Apple ad.

3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Sometimes you have to apply more than deodorant to deal with that musky odor.

4. Robert Douglass said:
    I think the advertising agreement occurred about 100 yards into their walk around the pond. There is much more to their walk than this… stay tuned

5. Brian Loftus said:
    Are there people on this site that prefer “interfere with election Twitter?”

• S Lawton said:
      Brian,
      you prefer Catch and capture?

• Brian Loftus said:
        What is catch and capture? I am not against moderation but interfering with elections is way over the line

6. S Lawton said:
    Catch and capture (should have been catch and kill) is when a media buys a story and buries it. See David Pecker

• Brian Loftus said:
      Nope but not relevant for what happened in this case.

7. Michael Goldfeder said:
    Musk changes direction faster than the wind in a hurricane. It’s interesting that inside of a short walk around “Apple Park” with Tim Cook that now Musk has nothing more to say other than: “Had a “good conversation” and “resolved the misunderstanding about Twitter potentially being removed from the App Store.” Musk said Cook was “clear that Apple never considered doing so.”

Funny how quickly the smokescreen of the “Apple Tax” and “Monopoly” dissipates after spending a short time with Tim Cook. Maybe the Dopes in Congress will come to the same conclusion. As for Tim Sweeney and Ek, (or is it “Ick?”), nothing will impact their opinion that everything on the iOS platform should be free.

December 4, 2022
      was “clear that Apple never considered doing so.”

So all the media stories suggesting that Apple was going to do just that are pure horse excrement. Yeah, THAT I could believe.

Media mantra: where there is no controversy, create it, other wise you have no story and by extension no readers (eyeballs).

8. Rodney Avilla said:
    I find it curious that someone would not buy a Tesla (or an iPhone, as far as that goes) because they do not like the CEO, or something about the CEO (or CFO, or COO, or board chairperson). To me, it would appear that one has developed purchasing habits based on something other than the product. That is, their purchasing decision is somewhat of a reaction against something or someone, other than the product. For example, when I go to buy a TV, I do not research the company CEO to see if his political views match mine (or whatever criteria you want to use). I research the TV to make sure it’s what I want. I want to buy the best TV at the price I’m willing to pay. On the flip side, I’m not going to buy an inferior TV just because I think the CEO is an exemplory person. Same for cars/cell phone. I want to buy the best value. Exception? Maybe if it’s a private company and the owner uses profits to fund terrorists. Musk a fascist? That would only exist in the crevices of the deep deep far left.

December 5, 2022