Mark Gurman: Apple's xrOS headset coming 'as early as next year'

"The device will vault the company into first new product category since the Apple Watch in 2015."

From Gurman's "Apple Renames Mixed-Reality Software ‘xrOS’ in Sign Headset Is Approaching" posted Thursday on the Bloomberg:

Apple Inc. is ramping up work on a mixed-reality headset, its first major new product category since the Apple Watch, and has renamed the accompanying software in the latest sign of an approaching debut.

The company plans to introduce the headset as early as next year, along with a dedicated operating system and app store for third-party software, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Skipping the stuff about xrOS to get to what apps might come pre-installed...

The mixed-reality operating system will offer new versions of core apps — like Messages and Maps — and will work with a software development kit that third parties can use to create their own apps and games, Bloomberg News has reported. The headset and its accompanying operating system and apps are developed within what the company calls its Technology Development Group, or TDG, a secretive unit led by executive Mike Rockwell. The operating system has been overseen by Geoff Stahl, a senior engineering manager and nearly 24-year Apple veteran who has led work on gaming and graphics software.

Recent job listings revealed that Apple is looking to create its own 3D-based “mixed-reality world.” People with knowledge of the company’s plans have said the device will offer virtual collaboration tools and a VR version of FaceTime, rivaling services like Zoom and Meta’s Horizon Workrooms. Apple recently enlisted the head of engineering for its iWork productivity apps, Notes app and Apple News to work on the headset.

My take: Do I hear some slippage in Gurman's timeline? As early as next year could also be as late as 2024.

Gurman has become an entertainer, purporting to know what Apple is doing.

December 1, 2022
  2. Fellow forum members: I regret to announce that I will have to step back into the shadows so far as Apple 3.0 is concerned for 2023. It is not without a good cause or long deliberation
    I am relocating to Lisbon Portugal to assist with our rapidly growing Neohumanist schools and technical academy in Ho, Ghana, Togo, and Burkina Faso, to start. I’ll be working with EU donors and Wise Bank on a number of initiatives to steer expertise and funds towards K-12 & Vo-tech programs for plumbing, solar panel installation and other relevant trades.
    My teen science trilogy, Can You Love a Nanobot? Volume1 is now available on Apple Books and Kindle. The Japanese translation is underway and streaming TV rights under negotiation. A PR agent probably wishes I didn’t tell you that much.
    I’m required to limit my on-line activity in certain aspects as I become a spokesperson for a greater good.
    My name being one of the most common in the English language, I’ve tiptoed around my NDAs on social media in the past. I fall under more than a 100, it’s a wonder I can ever speak my peace.
    Other people’s lives might be impacted this time around. I’ll soon venture into lands I’ve shared strong opinions about. If it ends up being a 1-year gig I’ll come crawling back but I’m never out of the US less than 2 or more than 4 years.
    I’ve learned immensely from all of you and sharpened my own editing skills on Phillip’s excellent, always relevant forum. I mention Apple 3.0 often in face-to-face conversations with investors as a resource. Thank you for all those stars. Many of you know more about me than anyone else alive today, except my bees. They’ll be well tended in my absence. Adeus.

December 1, 2022
      Good luck! (Watch out for pickpockets in the tourist areas.) A friend who relocated to Porto enjoyed it, once she got used to it….

December 1, 2022
    • Bart Yee said:
      Thomas, sad to see your withdrawal from posting, but happy to see you having such an impact on youth for good and their futures. Wish you could comment under a pseudonym or via a colleague here. Always appreciated your views and civility.

Best of luck, I hope you maintain your PED subscription and continue to follow us. Till we meet again! ❤ 👏 🐝

December 1, 2022
      • Michael Goldfeder said:
        @Thomas: It’s my sincere hope that “your” bees will not go into serious withdrawals in their honey production by not having you around to tend to them. I enjoy your postings and you will be missed. However, it sounds like you are engaging in efforts to expound the hearts and minds of others and assisting in enhancing their quality of life. Kudos to you for such a worthy outreach.

If the price of honey increases, I’m certain no-one from this forum will hold you responsible. Best of success on your journey!

December 1, 2022
    • Mark Visnic said:
      Will miss your insights Thomas but, what a great journey for you! Best wishes for great success and personal fulfillment. Cheers! Mark

December 1, 2022
    Safe travels Thomas W.

Mark Gurman told us Apple’s AR headset was coming in the fall of 2021. He subsequently revised the arrival date to early 2022. Then to summer or late 2022. Correct me if the above is wrong. My point is what difference does his new prognostication matter? Apple’s AR headset is coming soon. We all know that fact. Trying to put a date on its arrival seems ill-advise.

December 1, 2022
    • John Butt said:
      He was stuck for a headline to sell clicks

December 1, 2022
  4. Neal Guttenberg said:
    If and when this arrives, I would bet that all the third party software developers will be very happy that Apple has an App Store for this category of software, even if the take is up to 30%.

December 1, 2022
    • Bart Yee said:
      @Neal
      These AR developers will have the chance to be ground floor standard setters within the announced ARKit ecosystem. They’ll be among the first AR apps to be downloaded, demoed, and used. I would think they could charge a decent app or subscription price and make some nice revenue as Apple promotes the AR hardware and featured software applications.

User feedback and responsive developer updates can build great first impressions, leading to good reviews, word of mouth recommendations, and of course, social media exposure beyond the AR App Store. Yet another developer group to potentially benefit from Apple’s innovative R&D and production efforts.

December 1, 2022