Watch Twitter implode, tweet by tweet (no Apple angle)

Messages posted by Elon Musk, Kara Swisher, Piers Morgan and more tell the story in real time.

Attached by Techmeme to The Verge's  "Hundreds of employees say no to being part of Elon Musk’s ‘extremely hardcore’ Twitter" posted Thursday. Skip to the tweets.

My take: I've seen public meltdowns before, but never one with $44 billion and the sanity of the world's richest man at stake.

1. Robert Varipapa said:
    Clear example of why we don’t want billionaires and corporations controlling our lives

November 19, 2022
    During my entire work life I learned one fact that left an indelible imprint on my persona: no employee or groups of employees are indispensable. The work goes forward. Positions are filled. The machine keeps grinding like the intro music to “Ride Like the Wind.”

Employees leaving most likely were the ones Elon Musk felt needed to go. Workers remaining are the very ones he wants and they will correct the ship under the tutelage of one of today’s greatest visionaries.

What judicious employee would not desire to be on such a ride with the others who steer the ship to new waters? Meanwhile, I am listening to folk who never used Twitter discuss signing up to do so.

My money is on Elon Musk. This is the CEO who sleeps with his fellow workers on the factory floors to get the job done. Talk about motivating an employee! Our very own Steve Jobs demanded no less.

November 19, 2022
    • Timothy Smith said:

November 19, 2022
      • “Jerry, I ask that you listen to John Gruber’s latest, and then revisit this topic.”

Anil Dash is brilliant. The show peters out toward the end.

November 19, 2022
    • Robert Varipapa said:
      Clear that Musk has no idea what he’s doing. Just look at all the back tracking! He’s basically throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks, meanwhile, destroying the whole company. Most importantly, none of his actions seem clear to bring the advertisers back, especially now that Trump has been re-invaded

November 19, 2022
    Couldn’t happen to a better company, and to a better investor!!!

Jobs generally knew what he didn’t know. Musk’s query to Twitter software developers demonstrates an ego matched by ignorance.

November 19, 2022
  4. Rodney Avilla said:
    If Twitter (and Facebook) stopped existing after midnight tonight, I don’t think my life would be any different tomorrow. Nothing is more annoying than for a reporter to use Twitter posts as to give credence to their article.

November 19, 2022
      The use of Twitter instead of email for ‘author contact’ really pisses me off, even more than restaurants whose “website” is a Facebook page.

November 20, 2022
  5. Ted Kluger said:
    Elon’s recent politicization of himself has shown that he shouldn’t be taken seriously as a CEO. His ego-driven, flailing mess of the purchase of Twitter and subsequent gutting of the leading social media company reveals a complete lack of financial judgment. The guy’s emotionally immature, yearns for attention and propositioned a flight attendant for sex in exchange for a horse. He should not be put on a pedestal of any sort.

November 20, 2022
  6. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Vision + power + $$$ = fireworks.

Always has.

November 20, 2022
  7. Robert Varipapa said:
    Power + $$$$ — Vision = Big Mess

November 20, 2022
  8. Robert Stack said:
    I wonder how many people who might have been considering the purchase of a Tesla might reconsider in light of his recent behavior?

Besides his current Twitter fiasco, Elon’s recent comments on geopolitical issues, e.g the Taiwan/PRC situation and the Russia/Ukraine war, were also not well-received and made him look silly.

But I will always give Elon alot of credit for providing his Starlink system to Ukraine free-of-charge, which has been invaluable to its defenders as they successfully push back against the Russian invaders. But even here, Elon tried to wriggle his way out of this generous commitment by trying to get the US Govt to pick up the tab – or he might have to cut it off.

November 20, 2022
  9. Dan Pallotta said:
    I have to disagree with the prevailing sentiment in the comments. The mainstream media is working overtime to position the Twitter purchase as a “debacle,” and a “fiasco.” I don’t see it. Over five thousand employees have left of their own volition after being told they’d have to work much harder and in the office. The site hasn’t disintegrated in the wake of that. And, that’s a savings of…what..5,000 x $200,000 on average—a billion dollars annually. That’s enough to overcome Twitter’s 2021 loss of $220 million and put it into potential positive net income territory. Most of those people were probably content police or management of same. Twitter doesn’t seem to me to be a difficult business. It doesn’t make anything and it doesn’t even produce any content. Users do all that. The primary tasks are management of the tech, advertising sales, customer revenue sales and customer experience. It would be as if all Tesla had to do were manage its website well, and not produce any cars. I would think Elon Musk’s could handle that. The site is as alive as ever. Elon’s whipping up controversy and press which is bringing in more users. He’ll probably migrate back over to Tesla and Space-X full-time in fairly short order. And, if just two percent of the 450 million monthly users start paying the $8 monthly fee, that’s close to another billion a year in income. I don’t get what all the fuss is about. I get the distraction issues. And I’m long TSLA as well as AAPL, but I think the distraction is a short-term issue. FTX, now that’s a debacle and a fiasco….

November 21, 2022
      And, if just two percent of the 450 million monthly users start paying $8 monthly fee

We see it here, trolls won’t pay a monthly fee. When i ran a password protected Yahoo Group we didn’t get trolls. As soon as I identified one I issued a warning then on second offense I cancelled their membership.

Twitter isn’t going to lose 92% of users due to the monthly fee. I’d like to see the number of active users. Total number of “users” may decline but, Twitter may actually increase active users enough to offset ‘troll’ losses (reducing policing costs) AND importantly, advertising revenue losses.

November 21, 2022
    • Daniel Epstein said:
      If one wants to think Twitter is a good investment for Musk let’s look at the rate of return on Treasury Bills compared to his purchase. With interest rates on short term treasuries today like the 2 year being 4.559 if one had 44 Billion in cash and could buy treasuries in that amount the return would be about 2 Billion doing nothing. Most people would notice that. What is the potential of a company that lost 220 million and might actually get to say a positive 1 Billion. So how much more than will Twitter have to improve for Musk to really make money on the investment. It is a big ask from a platform which hasn’t shown it can produce profits in the billions. And that doesn’t figure out the costs to Musk of selling Tesla stock to get the money into Twitter. He likely paid a pretty good amount in taxes to put up his share of the purchase. Even if he ends up making Billions in profits he likely is lucky to get to break even on the investment costs. So far he can afford it but it doesn’t look like a good financial choice.

November 21, 2022