The rise of Apple TV+ in three eye-popping charts

"Apple’s streaming content catalog is small but it’s packed with quality and exclusivity."

From Christopher Hamilton's "Why Apple TV+’s 40% Subscription Price Hike Is Entirely Justified | Charts" ($) posted Monday by The Wrap:

Demand for shows on Apple TV+ more than doubled from January 2021 to September 2022, according to Parrot Analytics‘ data, which takes into account consumer research, streaming, downloads and social media, among other engagement...

Apple TV+ has managed this growth not by recklessly pouring money into ballooning the amount of content but by making smart content investments that have resulted in a library of high-quality programming that has won critical acclaim...

Let’s assume that 8.0 times is the level of demand that quantifies a show as a hit (less than 3% of shows reach this level of demand)... All of the 10 most in-demand Apple TV+ original series for the quarter comfortably surpass this 8.0 times threshold.

My take: That last chart is confusing (what's with the conflicting color codes?) but worth parsing. The average TV show -- in my experience -- is almost unwatchable. What this graphic tells me is that compared with the mean, Apple's offerings are off the charts.

1. Rick Povich said:
    When will Ted Lasso reappear, Apple?

November 8, 2022
    Right now I feel blessed. Two weeks ago I scheduled a look/see for my 12 yo dishwasher that had stopped working. The serviceman just left. He was here for less than 15 minutes. It only cost me $110 to find out there is a reset button for the washer’s computer.

My dishpan hands can now start healing.

November 8, 2022
    • John Konopka said:
      LOL. There should be a YouTube video for that. My son laughs every time I contact the manufacturer for help. He always starts with YouTube.

November 8, 2022
      • Rick Povich said:
        Gregg and John – Youtube is the go-to resource center. My son also had problems with a relatively new dishwasher. The problem was that the supply chain prevented repair for at least a couple months. He, too, had dishwasher hands and decided to check YouTube. Less than $200 for the pump he was able to find online, and a couple hours later his machine was working. I call it quits when it comes to brain surgery repairs 😉

November 8, 2022
    • Rick Povich said:
      I think it’s interesting that a 12-year-old dishwasher actually HAS a reset button! And that it still works! That was an efficient allocation of resources 🙂

November 8, 2022
        It’s a foreign made Bosch. The American made dishwashers cost about the same, but we’re all inferior to the Bosch.

November 8, 2022
        • Rick Povich said:
          Yeah, Bosch is good stuff! I always prefer the cheap fix but easy (albeit costly) is also acceptable

November 9, 2022
  3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    I can’t wait for The Mighty Eighth and the return of Foundation, Mythic Quest, Lasso, and  TV+’s glossy quality documentaries. Would love something like Dr. Brain, too.

November 8, 2022
  4. Darren DMW said:
    I’m a bit surprised to see See so far up there.

S1 got some poor reviews, but I thought it was OK and grew in S2. S3 was good again, but I am glad the series satisfyingly wrapped in 3 seasons. It’s *very* violent, so again, I am surprised it has performed this well for Apple.

November 8, 2022
  5. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    “…but it’s packed with quality and exclusivity.”

‘bout right. Sounds like another great Apple product.

(If you haven’t seen the “Bad Sisters” series yet, you definitely owe it to yourself.)

November 8, 2022